Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there an easy way out on lowering just the rear of the gt500??Can it be done??I just put a set of 20's(steeda spyders),and the car still sits tooo high even w/20'S!!! I thought the 20's would fill the well more but it didnt happen!? any help would be great Thanx Dan

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
You could order just rear springs as I know some have done. You could order the rear coil over setup from Steeda so you can adjust it too.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
thanx 4 the response what co. sells just the rear 2 springs??
I'm 99% sure they're only sold as the 4 pc set (front and rear), sorry.

-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx i figured i would have to buy all 4!no problem now next quest.??can i lower the rear with the steeda non adjustable upper ??thanx again 4 any help Dan

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,096 Posts
SVTFLYBY: The simplest way is to purchase lowering springs only for your car. I purchased mine from BMR near Tampa Fla. I also purchased an adjustable panhard rod from them, as this is a must if you lower the rear. Lowering it causes the axle to shift slightly to the left (3/4") due to change in the geometry and the adjustable panhard rod will allow you to re-center the the rear axle. Stock one is non-adjustable. I did this three years ago to my 07 and have had no ill affects. I also chose the lowering springs that matched the same spring rates as stock, there-by keeping the ride quality stock. I had tried the Eibach lowering springs and they were way too stiff. Sent them back and got the BMR's. Hope this solves your problem, as it is the cheapest and best way to just lower the rear. The level is now perfect and car looks great. Their # 813-986-9302. Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
another thought would be to have your rear springs cut and put an adjustable panhard bar on the car. That way you could lower the rear as little or as much as you want. I would not want to hack up my car, but it's another option.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,096 Posts
No disrespect intended, but my understanding is that the stock springs are progressive rate springs and cutting them changes that stock rate. So that might change the ride quality/comfort of the car. My Tech absolutely forbid me to consider cutting my stock springs, so I went with the BMR springs and never looked back.

·
Registered
994 Posts
SVTFLYBY: The simplest way is to purchase lowering springs only for your car. I purchased mine from BMR near Tampa Fla. I also purchased an adjustable panhard rod from them, as this is a must if you lower the rear. Lowering it causes the axle to shift slightly to the left (3/4") due to change in the geometry and the adjustable panhard rod will allow you to re-center the the rear axle. Stock one is non-adjustable. I did this three years ago to my 07 and have had no ill affects. I also chose the lowering springs that matched the same spring rates as stock, there-by keeping the ride quality stock. I had tried the Eibach lowering springs and they were way too stiff. Sent them back and got the BMR's. Hope this solves your problem, as it is the cheapest and best way to just lower the rear. The level is now perfect and car looks great. Their # 813-986-9302. Good Luck!
Did you have to adjust the pinion angle too?

·
Registered
86 Posts
No disrespect intended, but my understanding is that the stock springs are progressive rate springs and cutting them changes that stock rate. So that might change the ride quality/comfort of the car. My Tech absolutely forbid me to consider cutting my stock springs, so I went with the BMR springs and never looked back.
I agree completly, but I do know people that have done it on 03/04 cobra's and s197's. This would be the cheapest by far, but not reccomended.

I would like to see some pictures of cars with just rear springs replaced. I cant lower the front of my car because I would not be able to get into my driveway. I scrape when I pull in as is. But think the back of the car sits too high.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just ordered this package from BMR including the adjustable panhard bar.Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I agree completly, but I do know people that have done it on 03/04 cobra's and s197's. This would be the cheapest by far, but not reccomended.

I would like to see some pictures of cars with just rear springs replaced. I cant lower the front of my car because I would not be able to get into my driveway. I scrape when I pull in as is. But think the back of the car sits too high.
The rear may be too high, but with it that high I can back into parking spaces and not worry about scraping.

I am actually thinking about going with a taller ft tire. I saw some with a 2" larger diameter than stock; that should raise the ft about an inch for a little more clearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts