Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I bet you are correct. It has no way of advancing timing or boost. Timing a bit based on the tables it has set but I would be very shocked if it had enough to add 100 hp like a tune could.
It’s still an amazing setup for what it is and the ease of use.
So it sounds like the CAI 40whp is still the king for non tuned hp 😂

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
10,473 Posts
I suspect they way this works is it includes a gasoline content sensor and modifies the signal to the PCM for the stoichiometric air fuel ratio parameter, leaving any other parameters untouched. That sensor is used in a lot of flex fuel engines and the GT500 is not configured for it as it comes from the factory. The PCM can add some amount of timing based on octane. If using it with a tune, that tune would need to have the same air fuel ratio for E10 as the stock parameter. In effect, a tune that uses pump gas.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I raced the ZL1 again from a 40 roll and this time won by a car near top end theres no way it adds 90-105 whp maybe 20 to 30 at most. I am going to dyno it with a week or 2.
Sanad : we would all be grateful if you could do The dyno test for us. Is your car 100% stock except for the commander? I see most of our stock cars run ballpark 650-675 RWHP, so will be interested to see what you get.

·
Registered
2021 gt500 cftp
114 Posts
Email,

The system is not hooked up to your computer, it is actually intercepting the injector signal between the ECU and the injectors, digitizing the signal and modifying it by indexing the ethanol content in the fuel.

The extra horsepower comes from the fuel itself and does not rely on advanced timing like HP gains on high octane gasoline. Keep in mind that ethanol is a very different fuel than gasoline so the same rules do not apply. Ethanol has a faster flame front, a higher expansion rate and a higher burn rate than gasoline. It also has extraordinary knock stability, on the order of 110-114 octane equivalent to gasoline, which is why many people make the mistake of assuming that advanced timing is required to make power with E85. Octane has nothing to do with power. It is simply a knock stability index.

Ethanol also burns cooler than gasoline, which provides for more fuel density than gasoline given the same ambient intake temperature. In addition, ethanol releases free oxygen molecules during combustion, which has a mild enrichment effect on the fuel charge.

E85 is also a cleaner fuel than gasoline and has very little carbon mass, so your engine and injectors stay much cleaner over time. You will never find carbon soot build-up on the internals of an engine that consistently runs high ethanol content fuel.

Essentially, our system is protecting your engine and maximizing the power gains by precisely delivering the exact amount of fuel required for any given fuel mixture, but the power itself is a result of the way the fuel burns.

·
Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
938 Posts
I bet you are correct. It has no way of advancing timing or boost. Timing a bit based on the tables it has set but I would be very shocked if it had enough to add 100 hp like a tune could.
It’s still an amazing setup for what it is and the ease of use.
just to be clear, a tune cant advance boost either. pulleys do. and also the commander does not purport to advance timing at all. it simply maximizes the properties of ethanol fuel. anyway hopefully @Sanad will post his dyno results.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
My neighbor has one with a fully built motor. He claims it’s got 1,000 WHP I smoked his ass by a lot. He doesn’t talk to me much anymore barely a wave. All I said was for what you paid you could have had 2 GT500’s and still got beat by my stock granny model 😂😂

Jon The Gaptist, gaptizing all for the good of humanity!

·
Registered
2022 gt 500 with recaros
96 Posts
just to be clear, a tune cant advance boost either. pulleys do. and also the commander does not purport to advance timing at all. it simply maximizes the properties of ethanol fuel. anyway hopefully @Sanad will post his dyno results.
That is correct. I should have had worded a different way as neither was being changed.
My bad

·
Registered
2022 gt 500 with recaros
96 Posts
Email,

The system is not hooked up to your computer, it is actually intercepting the injector signal between the ECU and the injectors, digitizing the signal and modifying it by indexing the ethanol content in the fuel.

The extra horsepower comes from the fuel itself and does not rely on advanced timing like HP gains on high octane gasoline. Keep in mind that ethanol is a very different fuel than gasoline so the same rules do not apply. Ethanol has a faster flame front, a higher expansion rate and a higher burn rate than gasoline. It also has extraordinary knock stability, on the order of 110-114 octane equivalent to gasoline, which is why many people make the mistake of assuming that advanced timing is required to make power with E85. Octane has nothing to do with power. It is simply a knock stability index.

Ethanol also burns cooler than gasoline, which provides for more fuel density than gasoline given the same ambient intake temperature. In addition, ethanol releases free oxygen molecules during combustion, which has a mild enrichment effect on the fuel charge.

E85 is also a cleaner fuel than gasoline and has very little carbon mass, so your engine and injectors stay much cleaner over time. You will never find carbon soot build-up on the internals of an engine that consistently runs high ethanol content fuel.

Essentially, our system is protecting your engine and maximizing the power gains by precisely delivering the exact amount of fuel required for any given fuel mixture, but the power itself is a result of the way the fuel burns.
So in other words it’s not gonna get much of a hp bump. E85 is obviously different that gas.
That being said why do most flex fuel cars running this same sensor Mainly gm stuff. actually lose power on e85 over pump gas.
Second lower oct does indeed ignite more violently. Hence why boost and timing are not mixed with 87.
I’m curious as to see the dyno but after reading that I bet it gets very little gain in power. Not saying it not possible but seems unlikely.
Ever other flex fuel I’ve owned has lost a slight bit of power on e85 vs pump 93.
That is until tuned

·
Registered
2021 gt500 cftp
114 Posts
Ever other flex fuel I’ve owned has lost a slight bit of power on e85 vs pump 93.
That is until tuned
My last turbo car I ran e85 in it without tuning. (Not recommended without proper tuning people) There was in fact a huge bump in power. I was blown away.

Anyway, who cares if I get a bump in power or not from this kit. E85 is everywhere around me and I just want cheaper fuel. Probably gonna purchase this kit.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
10,473 Posts
. and also the commander does not purport to advance timing at all.
All the commander can do is modify the fuel ratio for the change in the stoichiometric equivalent by altering the injector pulsewidth. Ford's factory programming, however, will add timing if it's not getting any activity from the knock sensors. Even if it adds only 3 - 4° of timing, that's quite a bit of power at 12 psi of boost. It's not going to add up to a whole hell of a lot in a naturally aspirated configuration. If a different application doesn't have the ability to add timing, I doubt there's anything to gain.

·
Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
938 Posts
@Catmonkey yeah that is how i understand the commander to essentially work. now we wait to see some dyno numbers. they sent me a dyno sheet that showed about a 100+ rwhp gain on an otherwise stock 500 but i dont know whether to believe it or not. i am sure you get a good gain but i'm a bit skeptical on that number. we'll see...

·
Registered
2022 gt 500 with recaros
96 Posts
All the commander can do is modify the fuel ratio for the change in the stoichiometric equivalent by altering the injector pulsewidth. Ford's factory programming, however, will add timing if it's not getting any activity from the knock sensors. Even if it adds only 3 - 4° of timing, that's quite a bit of power at 12 psi of boost. It's not going to add up to a whole hell of a lot in a naturally aspirated configuration. If a different application doesn't have the ability to add timing, I doubt there's anything to gain.
That’s exactly what I think it gains from. Adding the timing the factory table is allowed to when knock is not present.

·
Registered
2021 gt500 cftp
114 Posts
Their website says 10% power increase. Who originally said 100hp gain?

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Their website says 10% power increase. Who originally said 100hp gain?
I believe the company produced a Dyno sheet showing the gains. I think everyone is skeptical but never fear @Big Shawn has purchased it and will get to the bottom of this.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts