Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
where do i start? i havent said much on here about the commander but i have loved this kit for a while now. i started this thread over at M6G 3.5yrs ago and had a lot of interaction on it. i ran it on my GT350R for over 2 yrs and it was flawless.

so yes i am now running it on my 500 and it's just as i expected...convenient and a good power boost. i installed it about 3 weeks ago and install doesnt take 30 mins like AFD (you probably spoke to Gray) lol. it takes more like 2-3 hours because you got to remove the strut tower brace and connecting the injector harness to the leads requires cinderella size fingers :LOL: but it's true it leaves no trace or footprint to the ECU and doesnt touch the OBD. it uses a GM flex fuel sensor and makes adjustments in real-time to the pulse width of the injectors. if you needed to take it in for warranty, you would need to remove the kit and get your ethanol level down to regular 91 or 93 levels or about E10-E12. so you would probably have to syphon the fuel tank or something. but this kit doesnt mess with the ECU so there is no trace in that sense which is why i love it.

you can fill up whatever variation of gas you want and the commander makes adjustments automatically. E10, E30, E50, E80, whatever, it adjusts. it is so nice. fill up and go.

tuners like lund, PBD, or whoever generally will not recommend this why? because if you buy this you most likely wont tune with them. of course they are going to say "dont run it". however, nothing stops you from running the commander as a piggyback on top of a tune. it's just that you dont have to have one.

the real time AFD app is nice. before i filled up my first e85 tank, i got it real low on 91 and i was at E10 (as expected). i then filled up 14.5 gal of e85 (CA is very close to true e85, other states can vary as low as E51) and i got to E74. i just filled up again of E85 tank and i am now at E78. and yes the power is there.

i have a buddy in IL who is running the commander+2.95 pulley (barely smaller than stock, maybe 1 psi more)+JLT+catless and he just ran a 10.2 @ 138mph (at around E70). the thing just works. almost 140mph trap speed with simple mods and commander.

AFD doesnt market well though, they dont get too active on social media and hence they dont seem to have a huge following. but there are guys running this all over the place.

there i spilled the beans :)

View attachment 253477
Thank you for this great Information. What is the behavior like at wide-open throttle?? is there any knocking pinging? Or is it smooth just like stock, but with more power?

·
Registered
2022 GRABBER BLUE TRACK PACK
938 Posts
Thank you for this great Information. What is the behavior like at wide-open throttle?? is there any knocking pinging? Or is it smooth just like stock, but with more power?
never any knocking. e85 is awesome except for the miles per gallon lol. no this thing is the real deal.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Begs the question: to add about 100 RWHP only by modifying the injector pulse width, it shows that the injectors have a lot of headroom to deliver extra fuel. So, why are people changing stock injectors out when doing mods like a pulley and tune swap?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Begs the question: to add about 100 RWHP only by modifying the injector pulse width, it shows that the injectors have a lot of headroom to deliver extra fuel. So, why are people changing stock injectors out when doing mods like a pulley and tune swap?
i dont know if it makes 100+ rwhp, i just dont. some day i hope to dyno it and find out. i would be more conservative and guesstimate more like 60-70'ish rwhp but again i dont know, maybe it really is 100+ rwhp. i do know this thing makes more power absolutely. again my buddy in IL is drag racing his and it's got barely any mods (JLT, 2.95 pulley which is about 1 psi more only) and he ran a 10.2 @ 138mph. that's fantastic. i have the video of it on FB. and he has no "tune". just commander on about e70.

stock injectors are good for 800 rwhp give or take. most tuners agree on that including a big tuner here in cali. if someone is doing a pulley (most guys do more than 1 psi or 2.95 pulley) and a tune you might as well swap injectors; you're giving up your warranty at that point anyway for any engine related stuff.

i dont know why the commander isnt more popular. AFD tells me they sell tons of them to many brands (dodge, chevy, ford, etc) but you dont hear a lot about them on forums etc. to me this thing is quite a product. how can you not like flex fuel without touching the ECU and 2-3 hrs of install? man i need to dyno this thing and know for sure :)

Edit: looks like they did well at SEMA earlier this month too: http://instagr.am/p/Ck1BmF7N8St/

·
Registered
2021 Carbonized Gray GT500
14 Posts
Lightrules got me so intrigued I reached out to AFD. Here's what I asked:

Hello, Just saw a fellow member on a GT500 forum is using one of your units and had a few questions. Saw a response from AFD on a youtube comment that said AFT dyno tests their systems on every application they sell kits for. Do you have any dyno numbers for the GT500 system? Also, are the OEM injectors sufficient to supply sufficient E85? I know the stock injectors are only 55lb/hr so it a little crazy. Just want to verify before I order a system. Thanks!

Here's his response:

Hello Chris,

The GT500 actually returned the best power gain we've recorded on a stock production model at 98 wheel horsepower. We have had a couple of customers dyno the car on gas vs E85 and see a little over 100 wheel, with the best reported result being 103whp gain. Keep in mind that along with the power gains you will see lower engine operating temps, a cleaner more complete burn, the utter elimination of knock and lower emissions.

In terms of the fuel system, both the fuel pump and injectors are large enough from the factory to safely run full E85 assuming the car does not have major power adders in addition to our system. If your car is stock you can install our system and go right to an E85 pump with no other upgrades or tuning required.

If you have plans for other power adders then let me know what you have in mind for the build and I can give you some guidance and whether injectors will be required to keep up with demand.

I hope that answered your questions.

All the best,
Gray

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an HP Tuners MVPi3 arriving this week so I can data log using VCM Scanner. My plan is to get the AFD kit and log fueling, spark and knock as a precaution. Was able to verify with HP tuners that scanning/logging is not detectable by the dealer. Also verified that you do not need to purchase credits to data log with the MVPi3.
At some point when I decide to tune the car, I'll already have the device but can use it for data collection in the meantime.

·
Registered
2022 gt 500 with recaros
96 Posts
I think this system is Awsome if you are trying to keep the warranty. If not flashing to e85 is not big deal and I can reflash a few times for that cost.
Definitely a cool setup and because it’s not tuning shows that our cars have a huge window to adjust timing if no knock is seen. That the only way it’s gonna add any real power.

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Lightrules got me so intrigued I reached out to AFD. Here's what I asked:

Hello, Just saw a fellow member on a GT500 forum is using one of your units and had a few questions. Saw a response from AFD on a youtube comment that said AFT dyno tests their systems on every application they sell kits for. Do you have any dyno numbers for the GT500 system? Also, are the OEM injectors sufficient to supply sufficient E85? I know the stock injectors are only 55lb/hr so it a little crazy. Just want to verify before I order a system. Thanks!

Here's his response:

Hello Chris,

The GT500 actually returned the best power gain we've recorded on a stock production model at 98 wheel horsepower. We have had a couple of customers dyno the car on gas vs E85 and see a little over 100 wheel, with the best reported result being 103whp gain. Keep in mind that along with the power gains you will see lower engine operating temps, a cleaner more complete burn, the utter elimination of knock and lower emissions.

In terms of the fuel system, both the fuel pump and injectors are large enough from the factory to safely run full E85 assuming the car does not have major power adders in addition to our system. If your car is stock you can install our system and go right to an E85 pump with no other upgrades or tuning required.

If you have plans for other power adders then let me know what you have in mind for the build and I can give you some guidance and whether injectors will be required to keep up with demand.

I hope that answered your questions.

All the best,
Gray
You found a spot for E85 in the east valley? The only spot I found with reliable e85 if the fuel depot downtown in the hole. I'd not want to be going down there every day to buy fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
McKellips and Scottsdale road is the closest to my with true E85. There's a station on Elliot and I10 that has E54-E60. Since it would be flex, I'm not so concerned about always having to fill with E, switch tunes if I don't, etc. I'm not opposed to keeping some 5 gal drums in my garage for when I go to the occasional private rental at Wildhorse. The reason this kit is so intriguing to me is that you aren't locked down to any one fuel.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i was just going to ask if AZ gets good E85. as bad as cali is, we actually by law have to have true e85. it's nice to have that quality and consistency. also the proflex is good to have in this sense over a e8 tune bc it adjusts for any ethanol level since most states are not getting real 85% ethanol. it keeps you in safe territory always.

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
i was just going to ask if AZ gets good E85. as bad as cali is, we actually by law have to have true e85. it's nice to have that quality and consistency. also the proflex is good to have in this sense over a e8 tune bc it adjusts for any ethanol level since most states are not getting real 85% ethanol. it keeps you in safe territory always.
It hasn't really caught on here like in other states, we had the ole CNG fiasco some years back where the state gave like a 20K cash rebate for anyone who bought a CNG vehicle. The dealers were slamming aftermarket CNG kits into the most ridiculous vehicles and people were getting the cloud plates to use the HOV lane. The e85 craze has been very muted, we have a "special" Arizona blend of gas that's refined in Tucson so we can pay 20-30 cents more per gallon for literally nothing. So for now it's hard to find and in good quality.

• Helpful
Reactions: lightrules

·
Registered
2022 gt 500 with recaros
96 Posts
Ya seems weird how I remember the big e85 push some years back. Seems certain law makers can’t make as much money off it as they can selling us electric cars. If it was about the environment they would still be pushing cleaner burning e85

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Ya seems weird how I remember the big e85 push some years back. Seems certain law makers can’t make as much money off it as they can selling us electric cars. If it was about the environment they would still be pushing cleaner burning e85

·
Registered
2020 grabber lime gt500
17 Posts
Thank you for the information looks like I'm going to buy it today and see how it goes.
have you had any issue? and do you feel a power difference and was it easy to install?
where do i start? i havent said much on here about the commander but i have loved this kit for a while now. i started this thread over at M6G 3.5yrs ago and had a lot of interaction on it. i ran it on my GT350R for over 2 yrs and it was flawless.

so yes i am now running it on my 500 and it's just as i expected...convenient and a good power boost. i installed it about 3 weeks ago and install doesnt take 30 mins like AFD (you probably spoke to Gray) lol. it takes more like 2-3 hours because you got to remove the strut tower brace and connecting the injector harness to the leads requires cinderella size fingers :LOL: but it's true it leaves no trace or footprint to the ECU and doesnt touch the OBD. it uses a GM flex fuel sensor and makes adjustments in real-time to the pulse width of the injectors. if you needed to take it in for warranty, you would need to remove the kit and get your ethanol level down to regular 91 or 93 levels or about E10-E12. so you would probably have to syphon the fuel tank or something. but this kit doesnt mess with the ECU so there is no trace in that sense which is why i love it.

you can fill up whatever variation of gas you want and the commander makes adjustments automatically. E10, E30, E50, E80, whatever, it adjusts. it is so nice. fill up and go.

tuners like lund, PBD, or whoever generally will not recommend this why? because if you buy this you most likely wont tune with them. of course they are going to say "dont run it". however, nothing stops you from running the commander as a piggyback on top of a tune. it's just that you dont have to have one.

the real time AFD app is nice. before i filled up my first e85 tank, i got it real low on 91 and i was at E10 (as expected). i then filled up 14.5 gal of e85 (CA is very close to true e85, other states can vary as low as E51) and i got to E74. i just filled up again of E85 tank and i am now at E78. and yes the power is there.

i have a buddy in IL who is running the commander+2.95 pulley (barely smaller than stock, maybe 1 psi more)+JLT+catless and he just ran a 10.2 @ 138mph (at around E70). the thing just works. almost 140mph trap speed with simple mods and commander.

AFD doesnt market well though, they dont get too active on social media and hence they dont seem to have a huge following. but there are guys running this all over the place.

there i spilled the beans :)

View attachment 253477
So if I have a existing 93 tune from livernois, will it just enhance what I already have? Thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts
So if I have a existing 93 tune from livernois, will it just enhance what I already have? Thanks!
yes you can use it on top of your tune, call afd and ask for gray and he can answer all your questions.

·
Registered
2022 GT500
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I had my mechanic install the kit and hide it for me, you can't even tell its there. i Filled up with e85 when i only had like 2 gallons of 93. and the app was reading 59% ethanol, i think its because of the gas station.It runs even better now, and the car runs cooler by 10-20F less. For the power i felt a slight increase. I did race a zl1 before i did the e85 kit, the zl1 had e85 tune , intake, done by LMR, we raced from 40 roll and he got me by half a car, then 70 roll i won by a fender Im gonna race him in few days and see if theres a big difference. I will definitely update you

21 - 40 of 89 Posts