Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got a chance to drive my uncle's brand spankin new 2008 Vette. Its the base engine Think they call that the z51. Its not the Z06 and its not the ZR1.

It had supposedly every upgrade/option you could put on it.

Paddle shifters were cool and I also liked the laser speed and gear indicator that is in a heads-up-display projected in you line of sight. Very cool. The electronic tour/sport suspension control was neat as well.

Now I didn't rag on the thing by any means, or take it through any tight turns or road course, just tooled around a bit.

Acceleration... well, lets just say I am happy with the Shelby, and you all can keep your vettes. The hesitation before the thing started to accelerate was disgusting! Even with the paddle shifters. When it shifts though, its smooth. No wheelspin that I could detect, though with the pedal to the metal, as I went over a RR crossing, the traction control message popped up.

Exhaust seems a bit louder in the cabin than the stock GT500.

Nice car though, just not for me.

TD

·
Registered
24 Posts
My uncle is a vette guy as well and I have had the chance to drive(alone :eek: ) in some of his toys. In his garage he has a blown C5 Z06, a 50th anniversary C5, and a C6 Z06 (Also I must admit that I traded a C5 Z06 for my Shelby) and my verdict on these cars are as follows:

The blown C5 Z06 is wild, though it doesn't hook up that well it really moves once it has traction-no comparison to my mildly modded NA C5 Z06. The interior is alright-I love the Heads Up Display and the seats are like your grandfathers lazy boy; but the car has too many recycled chevy parts-i.e. door handles.

The C6 Z06 is a nice driving car as well, though it wasn't enough to pull me away from the Shelby-despite the weight advantage of the vette and therefore faster 0-60 time, dropping the top and saving around 20K is a huge advantage to the Z06 IMO. Overall performance in both is great(obviously) yet the sound of boost and the interior in the Shelby is much more appealing to me-one thing tho I wish the Shelby had was a HUD, I was so used to the one in my old C5 that it took a while before I was used to looking at the gauges again rather than the windshield.

Overall I am a truly satisfied car nut who is proud to park a Shelby in his garage :cool:

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
Last Sunday, I drove to Jacksonville (I live in Orlando) to buy a vette. It was nice, loaded with the Z51 suspension, but it felt like a plastic piece of crap. I guess that is understandable, because the whole car is fiberglass and plastic for the most part, but it just didn't do it for me. The acceleration and handling were great, and I love what the car can do, but I guess I just bleed blue... I had a 98 Cobra that I loved, and after driving an F-250 for a few years, I'm back to my 2008 Shelby and have no doubt I bought the better car. This car feels incredibly solid compared to a vette, and is much more fun to work on IMO. Now I just can't believe I managed to drive a truck for 3 years...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went from a '94 twin turbo SVT Cobra to my current twin turbo C5 Corvette vert, IMO there is just no comparing the two, the Corvette is a sportscar, it handles better, stops quicker, has less weight and better aerodynamics.

To try and compare a Mustang to a Corvette is a disservice to the Mustang, the Mustang was NOT produced to compete with a Corvette, never was and never will be.

·
Registered
933 Posts
To try and compare a Mustang to a Corvette is a disservice to the Mustang, the Mustang was NOT produced to compete with a Corvette, never was and never will be.
You are correct Devil Dog.

This has been discussed on this forum several times already and the conclusion remains the same. The Corvette is a sports car and the Shelby is a muscle car (pony car).

Arbour88

1 - 5 of 5 Posts