Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021, GT500, CFTP
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience like a droaning/resonance above 85+ mph or so. Coming from the right rear .... no vibrations in steering wheel. All tires correct at 32PSI cold. CFTP wing is in down position. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,158 Posts
I'm having droning - like tire/road noise, but it happens from 45 up.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,180 Posts
The only drone I have is when I use track exhaust at highway speeds. All other exhaust modes are drone-free.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
I'm having droning - like tire/road noise, but it happens from 45 up.
I'm getting something from 60mph on up. Sounds like road noise more than droning but I don't have enough miles at those speeds to fully assess it yet.

Reactions: DKnight

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts
Keep in mind these cars have 305s in the front and 315s in the back and hella-suspension! 🤟 They are going to be louder than a Camry.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Keep in mind these cars have 305s in the front and 315s in the back and hella-suspension! 🤟 They are going to be louder than a Camry.
No doubt. Nothing as of yet that is causing me any heartburn. I'm still playing with modes and speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
No doubt. Nothing as of yet that is causing me any heartburn. I'm still playing with modes and speeds.
Oh all agreed, and I'm not expecting quiet - but it's gotten louder --- I'm at 12.6k miles.
But, this is so loud I'm hoping something is wrong -- dealership looked at the tires and saw no indication of undue wear, but no actual techs were on duty, so no-one to diagnose.
It's not exhaust -- changing modes doesn't change the sound.

If this is tire/road noise, these tires are the loudest things I've had on a car ever - dB meter read 105 inside, windows up, radio and AC off

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Ok. Glad to know I'm not dreaming this. Its definitely wind or road noise getting channeled into just the right cavity to resonate.
I think mine is coming from the rear more than the front as well -- but can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
2008 GT500 Coupe 2015 Jeep SRT
1,750 Posts
I would start by looking around the driveshaft. The pinion angle causes some weird issues (and noise) on the older cars, but not sure how the 2020 setup compares. It would seem strange on a stock car unless there's a bad bushing or something.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Ok. Glad to know I'm not dreaming this. Its definitely wind or road noise getting channeled into just the right cavity to resonate.
This is the path I am on as well. On the drive in to work this morning, going 70-80 it definitely sounded like wind getting channeled into the right cavity to resonant or vibrate something. I’m wondering if it is the splitter wickers or gurney flap. I plan to check the tightness of all the bolts.

I do not believe it to be the tires or exhaust. I flipped from Quiet exhaust to Normal to Sport while going 75 mph and didn’t noticed a difference in the sound.

Reactions: CoastalOptions

·
Registered
2021, GT500, CFTP
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the path I am on as well. On the drive in to work this morning, going 70-80 it definitely sounded like wind getting channeled into the right cavity to resonant or vibrate something. I’m wondering if it is the splitter wickers or gurney flap. I plan to check the tightness of all the bolts.

I do not believe it to be the tires or exhaust. I flipped from Quiet exhaust to Normal to Sport while going 75 mph and didn’t noticed a difference in the sound.
Agree. Leaning towards airflow turbulence as well... front to back getting channeled through and under the front.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

Agree. Leaning towards airflow turbulence as well... front to back getting channeled through and under the front.
While I'm open to the idea of it being turbulence - at least mine is rhythmic, I really think it's tires/wheel hub something but could definitely just be resonating the right way to be annoyingly loud.
I don't have the splitter wickers or gurney flap on mine (still) so that's not it for me.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts
If you guys have any other owners nearby, catch a ride with them to check if they have the same sounds you are hearing in your cars.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
If you believe it may be tire noise try rotating them left/right and see if the noise follows the tires.
To be honest, I thought they were directional tires and couldn't be swapped (at least without remounting) --- now I have to go look.
Too many years of having Goodyear Eagle directional tires I guess... never even crossed my mind..

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,372 Posts
Tires are not directional, rotate away. Hope you guys can chase it down. You can try dropping the rear seats (if you're not in a CFTP) to see if it makes it louder or not. May help locate a direction of the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Tires are not directional, rotate away. Hope you guys can chase it down. You can try dropping the rear seats (if you're not in a CFTP) to see if it makes it louder or not. May help locate a direction of the sound.
That's a good idea.

·
Registered
2014 McLaren MP4-12C
331 Posts
Both a bad wheel bearing and a bent axle can cause this.
My 2014 had both. The bearing made a sound when going around corners. The bent axle presented itself at ~165 mph.
Both were covered by warranty, although it took some arm twisting to get them to take the car over 165 so they could see the problem themselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts