Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious for anyone that brought a car in from the US, I have heard that activating the daytime running lights is as easy as inputting a code in teh computer. Any truth to this? ALso. I looked at a US car that had the speedo in MPH, but the odometer reak in KM's. This must be a engligh/metric setting in the computer as well?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Joe,

Welcome!

My dealer has already told me that a simple flash of the computer chip will render your lights legal in Canada. As for the odometer, I've not heard that, but it could very well be something as simple as flicking a switch. If you want to truly make your car to appear 'Canadian or metric', you can have the dashboard changed for around $500. at your local Ford dealer.

It makes sense now to buy a U.S. car for many thousands less (about $10K), now that our dollar is worth more than the U.S. buck.

Look on Ebay and you can get the 'Buy it Now' price on many of the GT500s for less than you can pay for it in Canada.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to pull the trigger in the next couple of months. I figure even if I pay the US MSRP + $5000, I will still be saving $6,000 under the Canadian MSRP. I have a couple of prospects, but anyone have a dealer contact in the US that they would deal with, please let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased an '08 GT500 in the states with the HID light option. It is not a simple fix according to the dealer. According to them, the entire HID light system has to be converted over to the regular lights...$3000 job.

I'm currently researching to find another solution. Actually, I was hoping someone on this site would be able to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to pull the trigger in the next couple of months. I figure even if I pay the US MSRP + $5000, I will still be saving $6,000 under the Canadian MSRP. I have a couple of prospects, but anyone have a dealer contact in the US that they would deal with, please let me know.
I helped my father in-law purchase his '08 GT500 from:

Kevin Beyreuther
Dealership: Ted Britt Ford--Chantilly
4175 Auto Park Circle,
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone : 703-673-2318
Email : [email protected]

Great dealership and great guy to work with. He comes highly recommend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that sucks if you can't find a solution. Please let me know if you figure something out because if you can't I'll have to look for a car without the HID's. There are a couple of dealers in Calgary that have 'o8's from the US with HID's so I'll have to check what they did.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Joe,

Where are you?

I'm in Calgary.

I just got my car and it looks like due to DRL's the 2008 Canadian cars only come with regular halogens like all the 07s came with. When I ordered mine, my dealer told me that HIDs wasn't on the 2008 option list in Canada.

When you think about it, you can buy an 08 on Ebay and still put the $3K into it to get the DRLs working and you're still way ahead of the game compared to buying from a Canadian dealer. I bought mine at MSRP from a Canadian dealer and with taxes and options still paid $62K. The dealer I deal with in the Calgary says that they don't sell theirs for less than $70K and that I got a great deal. You can get one on Ebay for as low as US$50K (about $48CAD). Change the light system and you still save a few thousand.

It think its worth looking into. :D

Arbour88 (John)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suprisingly, I have seen a few '08's come up on Ebay with out HID's so they are out there. My perfect combo came up this week, and I should have bought (red with black stripes, no HID's) as it ended up going for $46,700US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One last thing, I have seen a few '08 US cars being sold in Calgary, but I didn't check to confirm what the dealers did with the HID conversion, If anyone is out and about to a dealer and sees this, ask the dealer to find out what they are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One last thing, I have seen a few '08 US cars being sold in Calgary, but I didn't check to confirm what the dealers did with the HID conversion, If anyone is out and about to a dealer and sees this, ask the dealer to find out what they are doing.
My father-in-law managed to get plates on the car without having DRLs! Yes, very strange but true. The inspector said that if the car has HIDs that it is not a requirement that they be converted over. However, a police officer can issue you a citation if you are caught without lights on during the day time. So he suggested that he remember to manually turn them on at all times. This is in Ontario and I'm not sure about the law in other Provinces.

Luckly, GT500 have fog lights and those can be converted over with an aftermarket module, but we didn't have to go this route. This might be something that you should look into if you are concerned.

BTW, HIDs are a very nice option IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to contact someone at RIV to check this out. A friend of mine has a good buddy that works at a Ford dealer,and he is going to check out my options with the service Manager to see what I can do. I have called a couple of dealers to ask but they don't want to really discuss it because I'm not spending $75,000 to buy their US car. Hopefully this will work out to keep the HID's as it will be easier to find a car, as well they are a nice option to have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an 07 GT500 that came from the U.S purchasrd here in Dawson Creek B.C, it does not have day time running lights either and I have passed an RCMP and he did not pull me over however nobody has told me that I HAVE to have them. I would have thought that the insurance company would have required this before insuring ? Oh it had 5800 km and I picked it up for 40k I thought I would share that as it was the best deal I have found in canada or the U.S. And yes the speedo Gauge is MPH dominant as for the KM it does have a buttom for standard or metric readout.

·
Registered
485 Posts
NE1CA COBRA,

Someone obvioulsy screwed up when registering your car in Canada. Its only a matter of time before you get pulled over for not having DRLs (think about the RCMP's month end quota - which supposedly doesn't exist). DRLs are mandatory and have been since January 1, 1990 on all vehicles registered in Canada. If I were you, I'd get into the habit of either driving with your fogs on (would be sufficient to appease the law) or turning the lights on as you start the car.

Arbour88

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Arbour88 I had no idea they were required. It makes me wonder about the dealership I bought it from. I would think they had to know that when they sold it to me and chose to do nothing about it.

Thanks again good to know.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts