Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang, I can't remember the actual location of the thread, but I know I read it a couple of weeks ago on this board. Yes, it is true that we shouldn't send these cars through the spray car wash because it will hurt the stripes. Dammit, I didn't listen!

I washed the car yesterday and now I have just a little iddy biddy chip in my stripe on the trunk. it is hardly noticeable but I'm quite sure it happened as a result of the dang car wash. So guys, I would hand wash my car from now on.

Time for some touch-up paint to make it unnoticeable.:cool:

flipmo

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. The owner's manual does say automated car washes are a big no-no. Hand washing does a much better job anyway. Plus you get to spend some quality time with the little lady. :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree 100%.

These beauties should not be put through such harsh treatment. :mad:

Hand washing is so much more personal. :D

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I agree 100%.

These beauties should not be put through such harsh treatment. :mad:

Hand washing is so much more personal. :D
You put your baby in a WASHING MACHINE!!??:eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, you guys are brutal! But, I deserve it, right? Never again for me. Now watch, someone else is still going to do it even after I posted this thread.

flip

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Man, you guys are brutal! But, I deserve it, right? Never again for me. Now watch, someone else is still going to do it even after I posted this thread.

flip
We'll be more gentle once you move past "Newbie" status. :D :D :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey Flipmo,

The stripes should be covered under the warranty. Sorry for you misfortune.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Flipmo,

The stripes should be covered under the warranty. Sorry for you misfortune.
Thanks, that's good to know. That's right, "Bumper To Bumper" means "Bumper To Bumber" doesn't it? It's barely noticeable as I repaired the little indentation this afternoon. Almost perfect again.:D

Thanks Again

flip

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. That's right, "Bumper To Bumper" means "Bumper To Bumber" doesn't it? It's barely noticeable as I repaired the little indentation this afternoon. Almost perfect again.:D

Thanks Again

flip
HI JUNIOR MEMBER!;)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Dang, I can't remember the actual location of the thread, but I know I read it a couple of weeks ago on this board. Yes, it is true that we shouldn't send these cars through the spray car wash because it will hurt the stripes. Dammit, I didn't listen!

I washed the car yesterday and now I have just a little iddy biddy chip in my stripe on the trunk. it is hardly noticeable but I'm quite sure it happened as a result of the dang car wash. So guys, I would hand wash my car from now on.

Time for some touch-up paint to make it unnoticeable.:cool:

flipmo
SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) ;) ;) You need to get out the bucket and the hose.:D :D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I was at Ford World Headquarters this past Saturday with about 40 or more Shelby owners.I was talking to this guy about washing the car and he looked at me funny.I asked if there was a problem and he said"you wash your Shelby with water".I felt like I was in the twilight zone.He goes on to tell me his Shelby has never been washed with water and never will.He uses a duster and spray on detailer only.After that I just walked away.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I was at Ford World Headquarters this past Saturday with about 40 or more Shelby owners.I was talking to this guy about washing the car and he looked at me funny.I asked if there was a problem and he said"you wash your Shelby with water".I felt like I was in the twilight zone.He goes on to tell me his Shelby has never been washed with water and never will.He uses a duster and spray on detailer only.After that I just walked away.
If you "wash" it every day and you never drive it anywhere to get road grime on it, I suppose the duster and detailer method would work just fine. But, for all of us in the real world, using nothing but a detail spray is a really bad idea. You are just asking to scratch the @#$%* out of your paint.

I rarely use a hose when washing mine. Unless she's really dirty from a roadtrip, the baths I give Shelby are with a bucket of water and a microfiber washcloth. AKA a "Navy Shower" Get the cloth very wet, wipe down a small section of the car, dry that section with a cotton towel. Rinse the cloth thoroughly, wipe down the next section, etc.

This does a good job with no scratching and has the added bonus of not getting water into all the little cracks and crevices.

Of course, when she's really dirty (like she is now), it's the old soap, water, hose treatment, followed by thorough drying with cotton towels and the air compressor to get in all the cracks & crevices. This is usually followed by yet another coat of Zaino. :D Pretty much an all day event.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I'm with you 07. Just walk away:rolleyes: .....

Hey look at how careful "Our Prez" is being.

Hey Mr. Prez, do you know the guy 07 is talking abt???:D :D :D ;) ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
You guys are nuts!

I take mine to the dry cleaners.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You guys are nuts!

I take mine to the dry cleaners.
LOL! To Continental Cleaners? $1.75 for ANY item. :D :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts