Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, in the pursuit of traction I am searching for that magic combo of wheel/tire. I have as many options but am trying to fit a vehicle I don't have yet (2010 GT500).

How small of a diameter wheel can I go with stock brakes. Will any 17" work? If I go down to a 17" I would try M/T 295/45R17 which would fit nicely on a 10" wide rim and keep the overall diameter 27.2". If I had to go 18" I'd try the new M&H 275/45R18 which may seem a bit narrow but at 28" tall should have good sidewall and footprint.

Also, anybody running wrinkle wall slicks out there?

Any tips from the drag race gurus are most welcome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, in the pursuit of traction I am searching for that magic combo of wheel/tire. I have as many options but am trying to fit a vehicle I don't have yet (2010 GT500).

How small of a diameter wheel can I go with stock brakes. Will any 17" work? If I go down to a 17" I would try M/T 295/45R17 which would fit nicely on a 10" wide rim and keep the overall diameter 27.2". If I had to go 18" I'd try the new M&H 275/45R18 which may seem a bit narrow but at 28" tall should have good sidewall and footprint.

I am keeping the stock rims and tires on the car even though they spin to much, however for everyday type driving they are great!
I have just purchased a set of 15x8 Weld draglites and will put a set of 26x10x15 drag slicks on for my days at the track.
however your going to need 2 driveshaft loops (2piece driveshaft) installed cause this car with slicks will probably run faster than 13.99 seconds
now I can run a 15" rim on my 2009 cause my rear rotors are smaller but im not sure if the 2010 has the larger rotors on the rear.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I am keeping the stock rims and tires on the car even though they spin to much, however for everyday type driving they are great!
I have just purchased a set of 15x8 Weld draglites and will put a set of 26x10x15 drag slicks on for my days at the track.
however your going to need 2 driveshaft loops (2piece driveshaft) installed cause this car with slicks will probably run faster than 13.99 seconds
now I can run a 15" rim on my 2009 cause my rear rotors are smaller but im not sure if the 2010 has the larger rotors on the rear.
And you, sir, are going to need a driveshaft very soon.
:boohoo:
bj

·
Registered
32 Posts
And you, sir, are going to need a driveshaft very soon.
:boohoo:
bj
I hope not! lol I would think with a bone stock motor i should have no troubles at all, however i will probably be installing the Stage 1 kit from Evolution, Im pretty sure she will hold together......
Dump at 3500-4000 and pinner!! lol

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Uh huh. Would you like to see the pieces of mine? 500 at the tires at the time (about what your stage 1 will give you) and a pair of slicks and sticky track.

But....enjoy yourself.

bj

·
Registered
191 Posts

Latest issue of 5.0 has cars running in the 8's with DR on.

Agree with BJ on the drvieshaft comment...if you hook even with stock HP you can blow up the driveshaft...there is a reason the rules mandate a loop as soon as you go to slicks....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thread Hijack warning-

OK - so now I am worried - I have always thought the DS was the weakest link.

So - what is the "best" DS option - I'm at about 550 RWHP.

Specifically I am worried about excessive noise and vibration.

DS upgrades aren't particularly sexy ways to spend money - kind of like having to buy a new septic tank - but I guess you just have to do it.. unless you want your $4i7 all over the place..

TD

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thread Hijack warning-

DS upgrades aren't particularly sexy ways to spend money - kind of like having to buy a new septic tank - but I guess you just have to do it.. unless you want your $4i7 all over the place..

TD
I went with the DSS...here is the link

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=156

I heard they are about $50 cheaper if you order it through Evo..same warranty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the bogart r/t's 15x10's in the rear and 17 on the front, 325x50 mickies still won't hook up on the street but look bad ass. Still waiting to take it to the track to see if the car can hold up to the 660 rwhp. Same wheels that are on the new shelby drag car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the bogart r/t's 15x10's in the rear and 17 on the front, 325x50 mickies still won't hook up on the street but look bad ass. Still waiting to take it to the track to see if the car can hold up to the 660 rwhp. Same wheels that are on the new shelby drag car.
Thanks for the input. I decided on a combo last FRiday and put in the order. I'm going to stay at stock power for a while I just wanted greater traction. I'm going with an 18" combo all around, New Centerline Rev wheels. Light and strong (SFI approved) and they look pretty darn cool. I'll go with the tall M/T DR and change the gearing. Should be plenty of grip.... for now.

I will definitely post pictures when they come in. Couple weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone-

Im new to this forum, GT500's and want to start drag racing this spring. I have a 2010 gt500 coupe and ordered some 18 x 9.5 rims (the vert 2010 rims) to keep the stock look. I need some tires.. Any suggestions?

Since I am just starting Im not looking to post any mid 12's numbers.. I just want to keep the car on the strip and straight... If I have fun I'll move onto additional mods..

Everyone is recommending MT's.. I want to be able to change the tires at my house and drive to track which is about 1 hour away...then drive home..

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Thread Hijack warning-

TD
STILLEN is reporting that someone has manufactured a 2 piece aluminum drive shaft that will be available in weeks to come. Cost should be around $800. Should be able to handle well over 800 HP and greatly reduces NVH with the two piece. We will see.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Hi Everyone-

Im new to this forum, GT500's and want to start drag racing this spring. I have a 2010 gt500 coupe and ordered some 18 x 9.5 rims (the vert 2010 rims) to keep the stock look. I need some tires.. Any suggestions?

Since I am just starting Im not looking to post any mid 12's numbers.. I just want to keep the car on the strip and straight... If I have fun I'll move onto additional mods..

Everyone is recommending MT's.. I want to be able to change the tires at my house and drive to track which is about 1 hour away...then drive home..

Thanks for any advice,

Mike
305/35/18 M/T will work. No sidewall but I've cut 1.60s on them. It's tough though. Get as much sidewall as you can.

And then there's this

These are M&H 325/50/15s.

bj

1 - 14 of 14 Posts