Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Shelby but I have always been a fan of turbo systems, I have seen a couple of Ford GT's that are running twin turbo setups making crazy horsepower. While I dont want to do major modifications to my Shelby as long as the kit is a fairly standard bolt on kit I wouldn't mind doing it. I contacted HP Performance since they have a lot of experience with Mustangs and their twin turbo setup for the 03-04 Cobras is impressive. My question is am I the only one that would change from supercharger to turbo?

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, you're not... on a nice large V8 you may be. :)

Those GT's are running mostly the same engine, and are being turbo'd up to 1000+.

I hate turbo lag, and I love the whine of a supercharger.

Turbos will allow you more PEAK HP and Torque, but probably won't give you the same broad, flat torque curve... they will dump a crap-ton more air into your engine.

In short, you can do it, it will make your car do neat things, and it's neat to do, but I'd not do it. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
No, you're not... on a nice large V8 you may be. :)

Those GT's are running mostly the same engine, and are being turbo'd up to 1000+.

I hate turbo lag, and I love the whine of a supercharger.

Turbos will allow you more PEAK HP and Torque, but probably won't give you the same broad, flat torque curve... they will dump a crap-ton more air into your engine.

In short, you can do it, it will make your car do neat things, and it's neat to do, but I'd not do it. :)
Crap-ton??? LOL!!!! I've heard of crap-load, but not crap-ton. I like it.

Now, if someone can come up with a way to have twin turbos AND a supercharger. THAT would be a "crap-ton" more air & hp. :D :D :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Problems break down with swapping over. SCs are driven from your driveshaft, Turbos are exhaust driven.

If you were to do that with existing tech, the turbo would eventually dump more boost, which would cause air to come out the other side of the super.... which would not be fun.

Crap-ton is a derived unit. It comes from Crap-load and Metric-ass-load. a Crap-ton is a thousand metric ass-loads (themselves a derived unit from crap-load)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Crap-ton is a derived unit. It comes from Crap-load and Metric-ass-load. a Crap-ton is a thousand metric ass-loads (themselves a derived unit from crap-load)
HAHAHA. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I need to get an updated conversion chart :D :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts