Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm sure that little hiccup won't stop a Shelby owner. It's the pictures of a block that would be hard to take. Thanks for the pics though, its going to cost someone!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over-rev, dump the clutch and actually CATCH traction. 1st gear caught, it shuddered in 2nd, blew out in third. He also has a one of the older, supercharged Harley trucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are there any other pictures or like a web site the guy made for this personally or is this just a small thing u happen to know of.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I hope he won before he blew the housing or that is a double,I hate myself right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wannaBfast said:
Are there any other pictures or like a web site the guy made for this personally or is this just a small thing u happen to know of.
No, I took the pics, this car is in our shop right now. Super nice guy, in here all the time. He just played a little too hard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats what you get for not runing a rear brace cover..........

Billitflow and steeda come to mind.

I have one for my Cobra

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had a friend do the same thing at the strip in cali. Said it was his best 60' and also his slowest 1/4 because after the 60' he rolled..... i think it was 1-2k worth of damage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
And this is one of the reasons a Shelby has no IRS.......

I've seen this happen to at least half a dozen Cobra's, broken half shafts on countless more, most of which were not making a ton of power.

Even with a diff brace, bushings, and DSS shafts, the IRS in a Cobra is still "weak" when talking the kind of hp numbers these 4v motors can make reliably.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's usually a byproduct of the massive wheel hop issues the terminator Cobras have. There are all kinds of rear axle upgrades for those cars. For those not familiar with that IRS setup, the rear cover is a mounting point for the rear end. Without a rear cover brace, the center section deflects a ton during wheel hop on the rubber mounts, and cracks the cover just like that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ive got a stock rear end out of a 2007 Gt500 with 2000 miles on it... cheaper to buy a complete rear end out of a 2012 from Ford then to build a 3.73.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts