Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought and installed new Shelby Signature wheels with new TPMS sensors on my 2010 GT500. When I was in my 2007 GT500 before trading it in I never had TPMS sensors so I always dealt with the annoying message. Well, today when I brought it in for an inspection and oil change I asked the mechanic to get the sensors married to the car so the annoying message would go away. Well, when I picked my car up he said he couldnt marry them but saw they worked (which is a plus). However, driving home I noticed my interior dome light blinkings.

Video of it blinking:
This only happens once I turn the key ignition to the on position. Nothing else seems to be operating incorrectly electrical wise. That being said, after doing a quick google search it seems other Ford models around the year 2010 had this happened. It seems to be the lights blink because the TPMS sensors arent "married" to the car and this is some sort of indication. Not many hits for mustang though.

My question is does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get it fixed without bringing it to Ford and paying an arm and a leg?

Here is what their TPMS tool was showing in terms of code that my basic bluetooth sensor doesnt show. The first code is for C2780 is for the tpms system. Do I simply need to do a TPMS Sensor training?
Product Mobile phone Telephony Telephone Communication Device

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,412 Posts
So I recently bought and installed new Shelby Signature wheels with new TPMS sensors on my 2010 GT500. When I was in my 2007 GT500 before trading it in I never had TPMS sensors so I always dealt with the annoying message. Well, today when I brought it in for an inspection and oil change I asked the mechanic to get the sensors married to the car so the annoying message would go away. Well, when I picked my car up he said he couldnt marry them but saw they worked (which is a plus). However, driving home I noticed my interior dome light blinkings.

Video of it blinking:
This only happens once I turn the key ignition to the on position. Nothing else seems to be operating incorrectly electrical wise. That being said, after doing a quick google search it seems other Ford models around the year 2010 had this happened. It seems to be the lights blink because the TPMS sensors arent "married" to the car and this is some sort of indication. Not many hits for mustang though.

My question is does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get it fixed without bringing it to Ford and paying an arm and a leg?

Here is what their TPMS tool was showing in terms of code that my basic bluetooth sensor doesnt show. The first code is for C2780 is for the tpms system. Do I simply need to do a TPMS Sensor training?
View attachment 233434
Moved your post here to our problems area.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
41,412 Posts
So no one has ran into this before? :oops:
Haven’t seen it here before.

I assume it wasn’t doing this before…? What changed?

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven’t seen it here before.

I assume it wasn’t doing this before…? What changed?
I actually found another ford with same issue on another site tpms and dome light

The shop doing my car NYS inspection tried to marry the TPMS using obdii tool which isn't correct. You have to put the car into learning mode and visit each tire and relearn each wheel. That is why the light is blinking. I don't want to give them a hard time because they never charged me to get the new TPMS married to the car and they pass my car with illegal tints every year. Hard to find a shop to pass me lol. I dropped my car off today to get an alignment done on the front/rear since I lowered it. They are a true wheel shop and said they can relearn the TPMS for me. Prob cost 40 bucks. What a strange chain of events I must say lol

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
41,412 Posts
I actually found another ford with same issue on another site tpms and dome light

The shop doing my car NYS inspection tried to marry the TPMS using obdii tool which isn't correct. You have to put the car into learning mode and visit each tire and relearn each wheel. That is why the light is blinking. I don't want to give them a hard time because they never charged me to get the new TPMS married to the car and they pass my car with illegal tints every year. Hard to find a shop to pass me lol. I dropped my car off today to get an alignment done on the front/rear since I lowered it. They are a true wheel shop and said they can relearn the TPMS for me. Prob cost 40 bucks. What a strange chain of events I must say lol
I wonder if leaving the negative battery cable off for 30 minutes would have solved the issues…?

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if leaving the negative battery cable off for 30 minutes would have solved the issues…?
I tried that for like 15 minutes. The problem would still be happening where the car wont be able to monitor the wheels. I have the pesky tire pressure warning on my car display near the MPH gauge. Car is at the shop now. I hope I get a call that it is ready for pickup lol

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after putzing around with this for a while since the second shop couldnt get them to work I tried doing it myself by putting the car into the mode to re-marry the sensors. I bought the tool off of Amazon. No luck. So I went back to my Amazon order when I bought the sensors to see if anyone had similar experience as me. Saw a couple of folks that had it where the new TPMS sensors would not register. Keep in mind, I know my car using 315Mhz TPMS sensors. Then I noticed this:

Light Product Font Screenshot Magenta

So apparently when I bought them I didnt put my car info in, I just searched for 315Mhz sensors. Epic fail. So I wasted money getting these installed, tires installed and balanced only to have to do it all over again :( So it sounds like when the first shop tried to marry them they removed the old sensor info and weren't able to add the new sensor info hence the blinking dome lights. I took out the bulbs for now to figure out which route I should take to get this resolved. Probably going to cost 400-500 to get the right sensors installed. Figured I would let you guys know lol

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
218 Posts
I replaced the ones in my 2010 when I changed tires. I bought them on Amazon after a lot of research.

Set of 4 Genuine Ford Motorcraft Tire Pressure Sensors TPMS12 DE8T-1A180-AA

Arozk TPMS Sensor Relearn Reset Tool for Ford and Mazda Tire Pressure Monitor System Sensor Programming Training Activation Tool TPMS Trigger Tool Motorcraft TPMS19 Transmitter

It was 50-60 bucks total for the 4 sensors and the relearn tool. The tire changer installed them and I did the relearning myself. I took a chance and it all worked out. The only issue I have is a couple of times I received a message about a tpms malfunction or misread but it corrected itself after a few minutes.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
248 Posts
......... hence the blinking dome lights. I took out the bulbs for now to figure out which route I should take to get this resolved.
lmfao, they never stop blinking? omg! i bought tpms sensors off amazon too, and relearn tool and i got the satisfaction of doing one twice since i recieved one that was not functioning, point tool near wheel when the horn honks and move along well one didn't do anything,

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
218 Posts
lmfao, they never stop blinking? omg! i bought tpms sensors off amazon too, and relearn tool and i got the satisfaction of doing one twice since i recieved one that was not functioning, point tool near wheel when the horn honks and move along well one didn't do anything,
I bought PVC piping with ends and was going to install them inside, pressurize it and then bind them all before installing in the tires. But I wasn't sure if I could do it with all of them in the tube together or if I had to quickly change each one out to properly bind them, so I just put them in the tires and took a chance and got lucky with the binding process.

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, since the TPMS sensors are not compatible with the car the car is still in a "dealer" mode. I took out the bulbs until i feel like spending another 400-500 bucks to have the wheels unmounted, new sensors installed, etc. What a PIA lol

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought PVC piping with ends and was going to install them inside, pressurize it and then bind them all before installing in the tires. But I wasn't sure if I could do it with all of them in the tube together or if I had to quickly change each one out to properly bind them, so I just put them in the tires and took a chance and got lucky with the binding process.
I thought about this but I really want the annoying wrench and TPMS error to go away.. So you didn't get the tubes to work and you had sensors installed normally? I debated doing this.

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
218 Posts
I thought about this but I really want the annoying wrench and TPMS error to go away.. So you didn't get the tubes to work and you had sensors installed normally? I debated doing this.
I bought the PVC pipe and end caps and put a valve on it..really cheap parts like $20 total, but I was not sure If I could put them all in together and whether it would select each unprogrammed one as I went through the process or if it would possibly reprogram the same one multiple times.....(my car doesn't show which individual wheel is low, just that there is "low pressure"). Then I thought that I could do one at a time in the tube but I wasn't sure how much time you had to do each wheel before the programming on the car timed out...and no one told me the answers to my questions....so I just took a change and had them installed untested and then went with the $20 tool and did each wheel when I got the car back.

A family member had a 2010 Highlander and had a bad sensor too - only showed low pressure and doesn't specify the wheel like newer cars do . They said just buy a TMPS kit with programmable sensors and they would pay for it. I did and installed the sensors in each of the wheels after buying the HF rim breaker tools. Same size wheels as the GT500 so I now know I can probably break the beads on my GT500 rims too if I ever have to install new TPMS sensors in them. Once I learned the tricks of how to easily break the tire bead, I could do a TPMS installation in about 5-10 minutes per tire without doing any wheel rim or tire damage.

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
218 Posts
You should seriously consider doing the PVC tubing and programming new ones in it one at a time, and then put them all in the tube and just leave the tube in the trunk at 32-35 lbs. I know some racers do this if they are always swapping tire sets. Wait for new tires and then you can have these programmed sensors physically installed. This way you are not wasting a lot of money....just check the tires manually every few months. Leaving the sensors in the PVC tubing in the trunk is close enough for the car electronics to read them from what I read on the forums. You need to buy the sensors anyway so you are only going to spend money for the PVC parts and the $20 tool.

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should seriously consider doing the PVC tubing and programming new ones in it one at a time, and then put them all in the tube and just leave the tube in the trunk at 32-35 lbs. I know some racers do this if they are always swapping tire sets. Wait for new tires and then you can have these programmed sensors physically installed. This way you are not wasting a lot of money....just check the tires manually every few months. Leaving the sensors in the PVC tubing in the trunk is close enough for the car electronics to read them from what I read on the forums. You need to buy the sensors anyway so you are only going to spend money for the PVC parts and the $20 tool.
Do you have a good write up on how to do the PVC tubing that you coudl recommend? It kills me to have to lay out 400-500 right now just to make sensors happy lol

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
218 Posts
Do you have a good write up on how to do the PVC tubing that you coudl recommend? It kills me to have to lay out 400-500 right now just to make sensors happy lol

Read this link....last note gives you a few links to search for....I think I reviewed Mustang Forums and watched U tube videos....this was some time last year so they are still out there.
TPMS Replacement | SVTPerformance.com
I know one you tube video was by a Mustang guy showing his PVC tubing that he created.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Video of it blinking:

View attachment 233434
I had similar problem with my 2010 Ford Mustang v6. I have an Autel 408 and 508. Once I tried to program my sensors using my Autel 508 lights started flashing. I had installed the dual frequency 315MHz + 433MHz sensors. To make a long story short. My Autel 508 programed the sensor with 433 MHz, (that was the only setting on the 508 for the 2010 mustang). I researched and realize my car was set up for the 315MHz. Luckily, my Autel 408, had the Proper programming, and I was able to reprogram my tire pressure sensors with the 315MHZ. I then relearned, using the setting on the car. Lights went off and programing completed. The lights flash because the relearn procedure did not complete. In my case it did not complete because my sensors were set at the wrong frequency.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts