Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body got some "OH sh_t! I wish I didn't do that" tips before I start ripping off parts? Not alot on the search for pulley swapin, due to how simple it is.:worried:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Any body got some "OH sh_t! I wish I didn't do that" tips before I start ripping off parts? Not alot on the search for pulley swapin, due to how simple it is.:worried:
Well I hate to admit it GMan, but when I installed my pulley I broke the installer off in the shaft of my blower. I thought it was bottomed out but I wasn't sure so I gave it another little twist and it snapped.
SOB took me 3hrs to get that broken threaded piece out of the shaft.:flame:

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
Good luck, when I removed mine, it took all I had to pop the stock one off. I thought I broke it, but I got it. It was a loud pop, and I thought "oh shit" but luckily it is just on there that tight.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Are you sure it's pulley's your pulling tonight?

·
Registered
994 Posts
+1 to both 2snakes and 2008gt500. I have the LFP, and when my mechanic assistant, (the missus, yes she's a gear head and one HELL of a driver) and i popped off the factory pulley, it POPPED! But overall was an easy swap. Follow the directions closely, as far as NOT rotating the shaft, that is supposedly really REALLY bad, so it is much easy with help.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
Mine was even worse because I did it at 1am by myself like a jackass... Having an extra set of hands would have been nice, but I couldn't sleep til it was on. Then I couldn't sleep because it was on :). I didn't get any sleep that night.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well I hate to admit it GMan, but when I installed my pulley I broke the installer off in the shaft of my blower. I thought it was bottomed out but I wasn't sure so I gave it another little twist and it snapped.
SOB took me 3hrs to get that broken threaded piece out of the shaft.:flame:
i did the exact same thing, and it was a bitch, till i got out the air chisel and put on the hammer attchment and bumped it a few times then it almost fell out:silly:
worked great
i even boke the main shaft on the puller

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but have read much about taking a pulley off to put on an aftermarket pulley. I've also read quite a bit about putting your car back in stock configuration (if it has been modified) before taking it back to the dealer for work.

My question is, if you take off the pulley and put an aftermarket on, then want to put on the stock pulley to take it in for service or warranty work, is there any issues on putting the stock pulley back on? For example, I've heard that the stock pulley is pressed on and an aftermarket pulley is screw on? If that is so, how would you press the stock pulley back on...put a rag over the stock pulley and hammer it back on?...I wouldn't do that, but am fishing for how it should be done correctly.

Also, will the dealer be able to see that the stock pulley had previously been removed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
They are all push on. Metco makes a pulley base that pushes on like stock, but has different pulleys you can screw to the base. Nothing will ever screw to the snout. The dealer won't be able to tell if you use the right puller. Some pullers mark the stock pulley when you take it off. Others grab the pulley by the ribs, so you can't see where the pulley was marked in removal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
correct me if im wrong but didnt you just want to know if anybody bought shit that just didnt do anything for improvements to the car??? I can say that these cars respond to anything that you do from the intake side to the exhaust and everything in between, It reminds me of my grand national, no matter what you did it just kept making more HP.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
correct me if im wrong but didnt you just want to know if anybody bought shit that just didnt do anything for improvements to the car??? I can say that these cars respond to anything that you do from the intake side to the exhaust and everything in between, It reminds me of my grand national, no matter what you did it just kept making more HP.
What?? I am not sure what you are saying.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm new to the forum, but have read much about taking a pulley off to put on an aftermarket pulley. I've also read quite a bit about putting your car back in stock configuration (if it has been modified) before taking it back to the dealer for work.

My question is, if you take off the pulley and put an aftermarket on, then want to put on the stock pulley to take it in for service or warranty work, is there any issues on putting the stock pulley back on? For example, I've heard that the stock pulley is pressed on and an aftermarket pulley is screw on? If that is so, how would you press the stock pulley back on...put a rag over the stock pulley and hammer it back on?...I wouldn't do that, but am fishing for how it should be done correctly.

Also, will the dealer be able to see that the stock pulley had previously been removed?

Thanks

ODGreen, once you modify your pulley and other integral parts it will be more work than you want to return to stock in order to hide mods from the dealers. If you can keep it looking stock, like with the 2.6 stock look pulley and the 90mm idler from VMP then you may get away with minor engine warranty work. Remember your computor has to be reprogramed anytime you change pulley size or airflow. My dealer does not care if If mod my car, they did most of the harder stuff. But I am sure if the engine blew up they will be asking questions before shelling out 15 grand. So it is risk to get more fun and performance, but worth it!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts