Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think that may have to do with how boomers were raised. They grew up in a time when the country was seen heroically. Heroes are rarely scrutinized for fault. Honestly, the education system is flawed, but it still teaches these “America does no wrong” values. Then, as millennials grew up, the internet made information about the horrible things the country has done impossible to hide. So I wouldn’t say the values are unamerican, it’s just confusing to the youth. It’s like your school telling you about how amazing your uncle sam is all of your life. He’s a hero! You want to be him when you grow up. Then, you find out he’s an alcoholic that beats up your aunt on weekends. Some people just want some accountability, I guess.
These are just observations. I don’t take sides and I always welcome hearing how people grew up and their thoughts. Thats why I read most every thread, but hardly comment lol
I grew up during the Vietnam war, so every night, I watched the news with my Mom and Dad. While patriotic, due to uncles having fought in WWII and Korea, I certainly did see the issues with the war in Southeast Asia. So what your generation experienced certainly isn't new and has been seen before. Still, despite it's flaws, and despite the fact that our forefathers were not perfect, this country is better than any other that exists. No European country comes close, despite what many young people are taught to believe these days. Not Sweden, not the Netherlands. None of them. As for being born when the country was in a good spot - I totally agree. But, every generation has gone through some tough times. No generation is exempt. Nothing new under the sun.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
How old was this person you're speaking about @RockChalk ?

I think I've referred to most of my vehicles as girls.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i will probably get some bad feedback for my views.
i look at cars as Just Another F*****g Automobile. JAFA. YES, some cars are COOLER than others. but in the end it's just another car. they are basically a tool to use as to accomplish your goals and needs. as the old Subaru innexpensive and built to stay that way commercial in the late 70's early 80's went, they are just 4 wheels, steel , glass, rubber and electronics. if they enhance your standings with the neighbors you live with snobs.
i started working at a new car dealership when i was 13yo. i am 58 now. i was a lot attendant who had to wash 200+ cars a WEEK. i checked in new cars off the truck for 5 years at a high volume car dealer. when i was working at a dealer that fixed race cars / exotic cars. i have repaired and painted several really high end cars, a few were worth 7 digits.. i have probably driven more cars than a lot of people have looked closely at.
i look at cars as neither he or she. i look at them as a tool to use to fulfill my needs and desires. in the grand scheme of things they are just another car than can be easily replaced. all it takes is $$$$. no matter what you have, someone somewhere has something better and faster than what you have.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i look at cars as Just Another F*****g Automobile. JAFA. YES, some cars are COOLER than others. but in the end it's just another car. they are basically a tool to use as to accomplish your goals and needs. as the old Subaru innexpensive and built to stay that way commercial in the late 70's early 80's went, they are just 4 wheels, steel , glass, rubber and electronics. if they enhance your standings with the neighbors you live with snobs.
i started working at a new car dealership when i was 13yo. i am 58 now. i was a lot attendant who had to wash 200+ cars a WEEK. i checked in new cars off the truck for 5 years at a high volume car dealer. when i was working at a dealer that fixed race cars / exotic cars. i have repaired and painted several really high end cars, a few were worth 7 digits.. i have probably driven more cars than a lot of people have looked closely at.
i look at cars as neither he or she. i look at them as a tool to use to fulfill my needs and desires. in the grand scheme of things they are just another car than can be easily replaced. all it takes is $$$$. no matter what you have, someone somewhere has something better and faster than what you have.
Why get a really nice, fast car as a toy? Everyone is entitled to believe what they want but I have always been a car nut. Born in 1960, I grew up during the "golden age" of car culture... drag racing, Hot Wheels, model car kits, etc. So, for me, "just a car" never made sense.If a car is just another appliance, own a Prius. To each his (or her) own.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
late 20s or maybe 30 years old
Got it. Was just making sure you were at least categorizing them correctly. There's enough issues with us Millennials to begin with, but a lot of folks like to throw in Gen Z with us as well.

Yes, your opinion on the matter is contrary to the majority, but this also isn't just about "nice" or "cool' cars compared to others on the road. My mom and dad handed down our '87 Crown Vic to me when I got my license in 2003. It was big, ugly, and nothing to brag about to my friends (but it ran like a top!). However, it got me off the school bus, allowed me to get a job, and gained the freedom every teenager longs for. She was my "big girl". My buddy's late 90's Ranger was the size of a Matchbox car, but he loved that little truck. Sounded like a pissed off bumblebee coming down the road with a little Cherry Bomb muffler on it. I could go on for days...

Your views are fine by me, but the boastful and accusatory way you worded your post leaves a lot to be desired. The fact remains, many take pride and value their cars much more than other possessions because "all it takes is money", and a darn a lot of it.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
67 Posts
I grew up during the Vietnam war, so every night, I watched the news with my Mom and Dad. While patriotic, due to uncles having fought in WWII and Korea, I certainly did see the issues with the war in Southeast Asia. So what your generation experienced certainly isn't new and has been seen before. Still, despite it's flaws, and despite the fact that our forefathers were not perfect, this country is better than any other that exists. No European country comes close, despite what many young people are taught to believe these days. Not Sweden, not the Netherlands. None of them. As for being born when the country was in a good spot - I totally agree. But, every generation has gone through some tough times. No generation is exempt. Nothing new under the sun.
I agree. This country is the greatest. Thank you for your perspective!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got it. Was just making sure you were at least categorizing them correctly. There's enough issues with us Millennials to begin with, but a lot of folks like to throw in Gen Z with us as well.

Yes, your opinion on the matter is contrary to the majority, but this also isn't just about "nice" or "cool' cars compared to others on the road. My mom and dad handed down our '87 Crown Vic to me when I got my license in 2003. It was big, ugly, and nothing to brag about to my friends (but it ran like a top!). However, it got me off the school bus, allowed me to get a job, and gained the freedom every teenager longs for. She was my "big girl". My buddy's late 90's Ranger was the size of a Matchbox car, but he loved that little truck. Sounded like a pissed off bumblebee coming down the road with a little Cherry Bomb muffler on it. I could go on for days...

Your views are fine by me, but the boastful and accusatory way you worded your post leaves a lot to be desired. The fact remains, many take pride and value their cars much more than other possessions because "all it takes is money", and a darn a lot of it.
No worries. At least we won't be going out and tearing monuments or statues down because of our differing viewpoints.;)

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
240 Posts
I got into an argument with a millennial who thought it was wrong to refer to my GT500 as a female. I told him that it goes way back to when sailors referred to their ships, pilots and their fighter planes, etc, as a female. I have always known people who refer to their car as a she. What is wrong with it? Why do I need to make a millennial feel that they are better then us because we happen to refer our cars in the female sense?
I dont, but it's not really for any real reason. My wife does though. Mostly calls "her" Shelby. Lol! She also calls her car, a '19 turbo fusion "Zippy." Lol!

I have a hard time with the "millennial" thing. I'm on the generational cusp, depending on the model. I'll be 33 on Thursday and if I'm being honest, I dont really understand the millennial mindset, even though I could be considered one. You're either a man or a woman, you're either born XX or XY. You dont get to feel like something you're not. If that were the case, then at least twice a day I will now be referred to as a SHELBY. Lol!!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,363 Posts
I had to look up millennial, found this:
  1. Check out the latest definitions for each generation below:
    • The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (74-91 years old)
    • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (55-73 years old)
    • Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (39-54 years old)
    • Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (23-38 years old)
    • Generation Z: Born 1997-2012 (7-22 years old)......................both of my daughters are Gen Xer's, so I'm not responsible for millennials & whatever issues they do or don't have..

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
I have never referred to my vehicles as “him” or “her.” I don’t see them as “people.” I see them as badass cars. I call them:
The 89
The 93
The 94 Pace
The 95 hardtop
The Mystic
The R
The Terminator
The Shelby (2011)
The 20
..... that's because you are a cold-hearted FedEx employee ..... LOL :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
    • Generation Z: Born 1997-2012 (7-22 years old)......................both of my daughters are Gen Xer's, so I'm not responsible for millennials & whatever issues they do or don't have..
I'd like to think that you're not responsible for anyone's issues except for your own children.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I apologize for my previous post with the millennial comments. Not all are like that. Dang... we got off track on this post!
🖖
May the Force be you!!
I find the mention not harming at all. I was just curious because a lot of people like to generally call a lot of younger people "Millennials" when the fact remains that there is now a newer, younger, generation definition. This generation is now covering most college aged kids, and younger. Many Millennials are now in our 30's and losing street-cred with the youngsters. ;)

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,486 Posts
I apologize for my previous post with the millennial comments. Not all are like that. Dang... we got off track on this post!
🖖
May the Force be you!!
Wrong! Your hand symbolizes “Live long and prosper”! Get it right will ya!

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
67 Posts
🖖
May the Force be you!!
You can’t quote StarWars with a Star Trek emoji! lol it’s all good.
Edit: someone beat me to it lol

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
240 Posts
This may be, but if you look up the details about how these generations conduct themselves, I tend to lean more gen x. The funny thing is, in some birth year models, I'm gen x. Funny how I have no interest in being associated with "millennials."

21 - 40 of 56 Posts