Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into an argument with a millennial who thought it was wrong to refer to my GT500 as a female. I told him that it goes way back to when sailors referred to their ships, pilots and their fighter planes, etc, as a female. I have always known people who refer to their car as a she. What is wrong with it? Why do I need to make a millennial feel that they are better then us because we happen to refer our cars in the female sense?

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I got into an argument with a millennial who thought it was wrong to refer to my GT500 as a female. I told him that it goes way back to when sailors referred to their ships, pilots and their fighter planes, etc, as a female. I have always known people who refer to their car as a she. What is wrong with it? Why do I need to make a millennial feel that they are better then us because we happen to refer our cars in the female sense?
I say just consider the source and ignore it...lol

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,069 Posts
I refer to the Shelby as she/her and the Raptor as he/him. Not sure why just always have.

Reactions: blackcad55

·
Registered
2011 GT500 SVTPP - Gen 1 TVS, 2.6" pulley, JLT CAI, Borla ATAK
539 Posts
All of my vehicles have always been female/girls. It just feels right. I also name them. Maybe I am just weird.

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
107 Posts
You don’t need to make him feel anything! He just needs to put on his “Big Boy Pants” and deal with life in the real world. If the youngsters don’t like me being a fairly conservative, older white guy too bad. I still have my right to vote, either with how I spend or do not spend my money or at the polls. I let my actions in life speak for me, not the opinions of the “ Politically Correct”

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
I have never referred to my vehicles as “him” or “her.” I don’t see them as “people.” I see them as badass cars. I call them:
The 89
The 93
The 94 Pace
The 95 hardtop
The Mystic
The R
The Terminator
The Shelby (2011)
The 20

These names help both the family and me keep everything straight.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,486 Posts
Of course I do. The license plate says M1STRSS!

·
Registered
2013 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue. 1962 Mercury Monterey Desert Frost 390/300hp
331 Posts
When I walk into my shop I always say hello ladies! Referring to the Mercury and the GT. As far as millennials go there is no pleasing them. They want something for nothing and expect everything giving to them without earning it.
🖖

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP blower, 2.8” pulley, 677WHP/651TQ
188 Posts
Definitely as a Her. Always have, always will be that way.

I hang around with a car club. Many have named their cars but I haven’t got around to it. Don’t know if I need to as she already has a name...Shelby.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,483 Posts
I refer to mine as a he/him. He's my good boy...lol Maybe we just prefer to think of them as the opposite sex?
I think you are on to something Lisa! It’s how these fabulous vehicles make us feel! :love:

Reactions: 85glht

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,363 Posts
To quote a Little Rascals skit, " Things of beauty, grace & speed, are often referred to a she "
I do notice female owners refer to their cars as " he / him ".
My vehicles don't have names, only MY's..

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,088 Posts
I have never referred to my vehicles as “him” or “her.” I don’t see them as “people.” I see them as badass cars. I call them:
The 89
The 93
The 94 Pace
The 95 hardtop
The Mystic
The R
The Terminator
The Shelby (2011)
The 20

These names help both the family and me keep everything straight.
Here's one for you Tim. You need a little mambo #5. :p

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
67 Posts
I am a millennial. I don’t care what people choose to call or not call themselves or their cars. Tolerance is lacking in this country... on both “sides”. Calling millennials entitled lumps me into that group which is untrue. Calling old white guys racist and chauvinist also unfairly implies that about some of you. The noise just comes from a few loud ones that like attention. Ignore it because a few people is not a true representation of an entire generation, nor grounds for creating those stereotypes.
But just to stir the pot... never forget who raised the generation you seem to fight so much with. If subsequent generations are intolerable, look to the previous ones for answers to what went wrong. (This is a light rib at you “old guys” from a “young one”, aimed at no one in particular)
As for me, the ‘78 Vette I put back on the road is way too curvy to ever be referred to as a man. It’s a woman 😉

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am a millennial. I don’t care what people choose to call or not call themselves or their cars. Tolerance is lacking in this country... on both “sides”. Calling millennials entitled lumps me into that group which is untrue. Calling old white guys racist and chauvinist also unfairly implies that about some of you. The noise just comes from a few loud ones that like attention. Ignore it because a few people is not a true representation of an entire generation, nor grounds for creating those stereotypes.
But just to stir the pot... never forget who raised the generation you seem to fight so much with. If subsequent generations are intolerable, look to the previous ones for answers to what went wrong. (This is a light rib at you “old guys” from a “young one”, aimed at no one in particular)
As for me, the ‘78 Vette I put back on the road is way too curvy to ever be referred to as a man. It’s a woman 😉
Yes, generalizations certainly are not fair. You are a rarity, IMO. Glad you appreciate the Vette. I say to my wife often that we are the ones responsible for how the current generation has turned out. And we are responsible for our current educational system, which is certainly slanted in a rather un-American viewpoint.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
67 Posts
Yes, generalizations certainly are not fair. You are a rarity, IMO. Glad you appreciate the Vette. I say to my wife often that we are the ones responsible for how the current generation has turned out. And we are responsible for our current educational system, which is certainly slanted in a rather un-American viewpoint.
I think that may have to do with how boomers were raised. They grew up in a time when the country was seen heroically. Heroes are rarely scrutinized for fault. Honestly, the education system is flawed, but it still teaches these “America does no wrong” values. Then, as millennials grew up, the internet made information about the horrible things the country has done impossible to hide. So I wouldn’t say the values are unamerican, it’s just confusing to the youth. It’s like your school telling you about how amazing your uncle sam is all of your life. He’s a hero! You want to be him when you grow up. Then, you find out he’s an alcoholic that beats up your aunt on weekends. Some people just want some accountability, I guess.
These are just observations. I don’t take sides and I always welcome hearing how people grew up and their thoughts. Thats why I read most every thread, but hardly comment lol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts