Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have installed the Triax in their GT500, do you really need to drop the front of the driveshaft as the instructions state? I've been under the car scoping things out. It looks as though the two rear bolts holding the shifter base and the shoulder bolt holding the shifter rod to the shifter are easy enough to get to and get out. The front pins look at bit tight to get to, but maybe not too too hard (he says hopefully). The factory manual goes even farther and says the tranny has to be lowered a few inches. Is dropping the DS necessary in order to clear the removal of the actual shifter base or what?
For those who have actually done the work, what is really required? I have access to a lift by the way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All you need to do is unbolt it from the flange so you can roll the stock shifter out.

Thats it, don't have to undo any wiring, exhaust or the trans.

You just need to be able to drop it off the flange (12mm 12-pt socket) and you're golden. You don't actually have to remove the center hangar or drop the entire unit out or anything.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All you need to do is unbolt it from the flange so you can roll the stock shifter out.

Thats it, don't have to undo any wiring, exhaust or the trans.

You just need to be able to drop it off the flange (12mm 12-pt socket) and you're golden. You don't actually have to remove the center hangar or drop the entire unit out or anything.
Thanks. My lazy ass was hoping to avoid even that much effort. Oh well. Guess there's just not enoughvertical clearance to get the shifter out.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I had to lower the crossmember/transmission 3-4 inches to access the clips.And it was still a severe pain.If you dont have to on yours-Great.Small hands and long arms really would have helped.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's no way I'd drop the trans to get the clips.

To put them back in though you have to put them between your index and middle finger and kinda hold your mouth right and do it by feel instead of being able to actually see the hole or anything; but its really not bad.

I'm a pretty big fella with big mitts and fat fingers, haha and all I had to do was get a small, long screwdriver to GENTLY flip the retainer clip up. From there you just pull them out in the blind, by feel. They left a little "cutout" in the sound insulation where they slid out into that little area.

BTW I did this with the front on Rhino Ramps and the rear up on jack stands, so I was laying on my back in the garage.

I did try to get the stock shifter out without dropping the shaft, but I only got it "almost" out before it got cocked at a bad angle and I gave up and just dropped the shaft. I'd say if was a 5-spd car with the single torque arm on the shifter, you could probably roll it out; but not with ours.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is a really good "How To" in SVTPerformance, GT500, How To Section.
You'll really enjoy it after all the work is done just takes patience.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is a really good "How To" in SVTPerformance, GT500, How To Section.
You'll really enjoy it after all the work is done just takes patience.
There is a "how to" install the FRPP Shifter HANDLE there...but I don't see one on how to install the actual shifter.

I still have another one to do this week, I 'spose I'll take pics and right it up, there needs to be one on there.

Share a link with us if you see it, it may be in the main forum I didn't go searching there, I just scrolled through the how-to's.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry thought someone had added it to the "How To" section. Do a search "Install shifter", Page 3, 6-Speed, helped me out alot. It just takes Patience and Time, but well worth the effort. I took it to a shop and they wanted $200 for the install and I used that money for the FRRP springs.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
There is a magical way to twist the shifter so you don't have to drop the shaft. My lazy butt found it, but it would've probably been quicker to drop the shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
There is a magical way to twist the shifter so you don't have to drop the shaft. My lazy butt found it, but it would've probably been quicker to drop the shaft.
You sound like me; spend more time and energy looking for the short-cut than would be required to just follow the instructions! :rofl:

I haven't done my shifter yet, but I think I'm going to find a lift before I do that.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
A lift would have probably made it easier to find that magical twist :).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Come on down Ron, friend of mine owns Aamco, we can use his lifts.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Come on down Ron, friend of mine owns Aamco, we can use his lifts.
Thanks for the offer; That is tempting. I think when I do that I'll do the drive shaft and safety loop at the same time.

I think a friend of mine prob has a lift in his garage. He works full time at a local paint/body shop and does side jobs at home (no paint at home). I for a PowerHouse H-Pipe to "test-drive" his shop with! :rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts