Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am still trying to decide if I want to swap out my FRPP M-5230-GTA's for the SVT's or SGT's. My big concern is that I will end up with a muffler that drones. I have heard that the SVT1's are allot like the GTA's and that they don't drone, but what about the SGT's? I like the idea of something maybe a little more aggressive than my GTA's but I don't want something that will drone and just wind up annoying me. Any honest/accurate info would help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
SVT-1s are not much different from stock, maybe alittle deeper sound and significantly lighter wieght. SGTs are more aggresive with little drone.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have SGT's, they sound great but the do drone at about 2000 rpm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could hear some SGT’s to find out just how much they drone. My FRPP M-5230-GTA's have a little bit of a deep growl while driving from inside the car, but I wouldn't call it a drone. I consider a drone more of a deep bass resonance that occurs only at a certain RPM’s that will give you a headache.

I guess I will just have to buy the M-5230-SVT1's or keep my M-5230-GTA's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the SGT's and they do drone between 1800-2000 but they are very tolerable... I love the sound... that's my $.02

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the SGT's and they do drone between 1800-2000 but they are very tolerable... I love the sound... that's my $.02

How loud is the drone? Have you taken it on any long trips? Is it just barely noticeable or is constant and intrusive? Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
How loud is the drone? Have you taken it on any long trips? Is it just barely noticeable or is constant and intrusive? Thanks.
My wife doesn't like it after driving a while, so I just put it in 5th gear to keep her happy. Keeping the rpm above 2400 or so does the trick :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if the drone is better or worse since you have a convertible? I really don’t want to run my car in a lower gear to deal with the drone, so I guess the SGT’s might not work for me.

I really would like to have the SGT's since I'm sure that if I put the SVT1's on my car that it won't really sound any different than my GTA's.

Some people say the SGT's don't drone, some say that they drone a little, and others say that they drone alot. I don't know what to think.

I really like the way the GT500KR sounds, but I don't want to change out my X-pipe for and H-pipe, I just want a more aggressive sound but with no drone.

Anyone have any sound clips of the SGT's? I only want FRPP SGT's or SVT1's as I want to keep my car FRPP/SVT parts only.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
It's a trade off. Less muffler=possible drone. Each person will have a different ear to that type of sound. A vert might alow you to get away with it due to wind noise, etc. I haven't been in a KR, and suppose those that have a KR could care less about a drone. Changing diff areas of the exhaust: headers, x/h pipe or cats will change quality of exhaust sound. I'd say go for the SGTs and keep your stockers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wonder if the drone is better or worse since you have a convertible? I really don’t want to run my car in a lower gear to deal with the drone, so I guess the SGT’s might not work for me.

I really would like to have the SGT's since I'm sure that if I put the SVT1's on my car that it won't really sound any different than my GTA's.

Some people say the SGT's don't drone, some say that they drone a little, and others say that they drone alot. I don't know what to think.

I really like the way the GT500KR sounds, but I don't want to change out my X-pipe for and H-pipe, I just want a more aggressive sound but with no drone.

Anyone have any sound clips of the SGT's? I only want FRPP SGT's or SVT1's as I want to keep my car FRPP/SVT parts only.

Thanks again.
Im here to tell ya, they drone a little. Dropping down to fifth doesnt hurt a thing cruising @ 65mph. I also put them on a friends coupe. They have the same tone in the hardtop as the ragtop but they sound sweet.
Having a vert, they even sound better with top down :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
This has been discussed at length many times.There has been videos posted.Do a search and you will find the info.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I have had the FRPP M-5230-5GT's on for 2 years now.Here is a clip before I put the headers on.They do drone between 1800-2000 rpm.Very tolerable.Been on some trips no problem.It is a personal decision.I live in Michigan and this car has been all over the US and Canada.Make you own choice here.I made this video for BJ ,X-mas of 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM2DHjVVlAQ

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
If you watch the videos under the name Phrebba on you tube,I have a camera mounted to the windshield.These videos are from LA,Ca to LV.Nev and on the Las Vegas Speedway.That should give you a good indication.I forgot,in these videos I have headers on,sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This has been discussed at length many times.There has been videos posted.Do a search and you will find the info.
The 5GT's have been discussed, not the SGT's. Every time I do a search I get post and sound clips of the 5GT's, like the one you just posted, not of the SGT's which are different. I am aware that the 5GT's drone allot, so I am not interested in them.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
My bad,sorry

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
You might want to try calling Borla.I talked to them a couple of years ago and they were quite helpful about the FRPP M-5230-5GT MUFFLERS.I will bet there is not that much different between the 5GT and the SGT besides $300.00.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The SGT has 4 tube type baffles inside. The 5GT does not.
As I understand it, the 5GT were made for a 4.6 litre and the SGT was made for the 5.4 Litre.
To look at both sets, you will see no difference other than the baffles inside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts