Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: See post #5: this works for a little electrical tape and 20 min of work.

Anyone tried this? I took apart the resonator assembly and popped out the the baffle. It looks like this photo.

Anyone gut it like this and reassemble? I don't think I've read about anyone here doing it. More S/C sound? Bad idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
453 Posts
It would be interesting if that is the same as the $70.00 replacement part Ford offers.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be interesting if that is the same as the $70.00 replacement part Ford offers.
Heh, I'm thinking about a wrap of duct tape over the holes might do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, this works. Just for the heck of it, I put a layer of electrical tape over all of the holes in the baffle and re-assembled it. Reinstalled it, and just took it on a test drive.

Oh yeah, way better whine for the cost of $0.37 worth of electrical tape, 20 minutes, and some Miller High Life (after the test).

My reasoning for covering the holes was a look at the Ford resonator delete part; it's not terribly larger than a straight-through pipe, not the big chamber that the stock part is for the '13-'14.

I tell ya, I got goosebumps (not that Goose) all over on hearing my supercharger for the first time on a good pull.

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
453 Posts
Curious, any reason you didn't just leave it out? Is that not an option?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The straight-through portion looks like the Ford Racing part, not that huge chamber. I wonder if the inlet-chamber-outlet could cause some turbulence. The straight shot that I built with the tape won't be any different in shape and size than the stocker and the car should behave as such (and it did, only with more whine).

Being a scientist,I'll probably take it off again and pull the baffle altogether to test, but it's currently raining and I had a few beers wit the BBQing.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I originally started by removing it. Car ran absolutely fine. I then however upgraded to a Big Air kit and new throttle body.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I originally started by removing it. Car ran absolutely fine. I then however upgraded to a Big Air kit and new throttle body.
I hear you and I'm with ya. Good to hear total removal is good to go.

I am thinking that I'll hear more with a pulley and proper intake/TB + tune, but need to learn how to drive what I have first with tires and suspension this year and hope for a good Black Friday sale. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
453 Posts
I prefer the smoother look of the FRPP resonator delete for $70 rather than cutting up or taping the stock one.
The FRPP piece is lighter and I believe has better laminar air flow dynamics than the stock one with the baffle removed.
Stock piece with the resonator removed is larger overall correct?

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,619 Posts
I gutted the resonator on my 14 several months ago. Took the baffle out, port matched the end closest to the T/B. It makes a little more noise & has to be less restrictive to the air flow.
I wasn't spending $ 69.00 for the FRPP delete tube, only to remove it when I replace the blower......( did that on the 11, what a waste. )

·
Registered
348 Posts
I gutted the resonator on my 14 several months ago. Took the baffle out, port matched the end closest to the T/B. It makes a little more noise & has to be less restrictive to the air flow.

I wasn't spending $ 69.00 for the FRPP delete tube, only to remove it when I replace the blower......( did that on the 11, what a waste. )

I too did this on my 2010. Cut it out and cut the one end bigger. Looks stock and sounds good. But my jlt is a lot louder.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I hear you and I'm with ya. Good to hear total removal is good to go.

I am thinking that I'll hear more with a pulley and proper intake/TB + tune, but need to learn how to drive what I have first with tires and suspension this year and hope for a good Black Friday sale. :cheers:
Oh let me tell you. I did the pulley swap with tune and holy crap does that supercharger sing. It was ridiculous! Even my son was like what is that noise! And the seat of the pants feel was saweeeet! I cant even imagine what it would be like with a VMP TVS!

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
7,631 Posts
You're causing all sorts of turbulence in that intake tract gutting it like that.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't do the electrical tape, it may get sucked through the throttle body. Would put another spin on "Let it eat". :)
That thought occurred to me as the tape might age and get brittle. Another option I was considering was some aluminum chimney flashing and make a couple of bands of sheet metal as a cover on the outside of the baffle and re-insert.

·
Premium Member
2011 Shelby GT500
897 Posts
That thought occurred to me as the tape might age and get brittle. Another option I was considering was some aluminum chimney flashing and make a couple of bands of sheet metal as a cover on the outside of the baffle and re-insert.
Why do that....cant you just buy some plastic welding rods and melt them to fill in the gap?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why do that....cant you just buy some plastic welding rods and melt them to fill in the gap?
Quite a few holes in there. Might take a while.

Perhaps I should look into that. And hope my welds hold....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts