Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago another local GT500 owner warned me that he had experienced some noise coming from the rear of both his Mustang GT as well as his GT500 while making turns. The dealer was able to fix the noise in both cases but he did not elaborate further. I dismissed it as a non-issue for me as I had not encountered it thus far.

Anyhow, last week when I was making a sharp turn into a parking space I heard it. A low warbling sound, kinda hard to describe, but it only occurs in the turns.

I took my car to the same dealer and they plan to replace/re-build the clutch packs in the limited-slip differential. The service advisor said sometimes the differential is not setup properly at the factory but indicated this was not a frequent issue with these cars.

Does anyone know whether limited-slip differentials normally make an audible noise while in turns?

Also has anyone else encountered this noise while turning?

I just want to be sure this is indeed a problem before I bring it back to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i had my clutch packs replaced and it took care of the noise.
just make sure they don't overfill your rear diff after they install.
=D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had my clutch packs replaced and it took care of the noise.
just make sure they don't overfill your rear diff after they install.
=D
How would one over-fill the pumpkin? You fill it until it reaches the fill hole then the oil overflows out. The only method I can see is if you had a FRPP differential cover where the fill hole in the cover is above the factory fill hole at the front of the pumpkin. Then you can overfill.

However, I have seen a picture of a Mustang axle where it appears that oil was overflowing from the vent on top of the axle tube.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took my car to the same dealer and they plan to replace/re-build the clutch packs in the limited-slip differential. The service advisor said sometimes the differential is not setup properly at the factory but indicated this was not a frequent issue with these cars.
Took the car back to the dealer today to get this fixed.

The dealer found TSB 07-22-8, which instructs the technician to add friction modifier to the differential. As far as I can tell the noise problem is fixed. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
This had to be fixed 2 times in my GT. Both times the ring and pinion and clutch packs had to be replaced. The second time around, it actually stopped making the indescribable noise. I'm not going to be a happy man if the Shelby starts this stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts