Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sn95 rear, need Help with the carrier cap bolts to spec. I keep finding 85ftlbs is that all it is? I set backlash at .009 for street use.
thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes , I have done a few in my shop, 85 ft lbs is enough. .009 is on the looser side but should be fine. Just make sure you ck the run out for a good pattern. Once you drive it and it has a hum your done, You should be fine with those numbers.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,595 Posts
There aren't big bolts holding the caps down and why you see so many differential covers with hardware to put more pressure on the caps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The purpose of those load bolt covers are for more support , & less torsion. The 8.8 is a good rear but not a nine inch. Unless you plan on racing it or have over 500 HP, those covers aren't for you. If you just want to beef it up more, than that will work to.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The purpose of those load bolt covers are for more support , & less torsion. The 8.8 is a good rear but not a nine inch. Unless you plan on racing it or have over 500 HP, those covers aren't for you. If you just want to beef it up more, than that will work to.
Im having a strange 9” built for it With billet center section but it 7-10weeks out so this rebuild is temp just to get back out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes , I have done a few in my shop, 85 ft lbs is enough. .009 is on the looser side but should be fine. Just make sure you ck the run out for a good pattern. Once you drive it and it has a hum your done, You should be fine with those numbers.
.009 is loose? Spec is .008-.012 i thought 12 being street. So i kept tighter because of the power in car

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your using factory gears, then yes. I used Yukon, and they like a little tighter. You will be fine with what you have going.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I received my axles today. I installed and put in the Eaton axle spacer and I have axle play,is this normal? Kit cam with 2 spacers 1 for my car and 1 for 2005+. The one for my car was a lil to big and couldn’t push in with finger,the one for 2005+fit but has end play?
thanks

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
How much play?

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
It’s not a tight fit. You need some clearance for heat expansion.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
I went through the reverse of this. I bought a used True Trac and it didn't have the shorter spacer. So Mr. Impatient-who-can't-wait-for-the-right-part used the side of his grinder to make the spacer fit. My intent was to get the right part later, but get the car back on the road. It worked out far better and cleaner than I expected, but it was still a tight fit. I did some research on end play, but of course didn't write any of that down, but I came to the conclusion it needed some amount of end play. But I did open it back up and shaved another .010" off of it. It's an option for you, but it's a slow process. End play can be quite excessive on the 8.8, even as much as 1/8". I've read thicker C-clips can also take up some clearance, but I don't have a readily available source for that.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went through the reverse of this. I bought a used True Trac and it didn't have the shorter spacer. So Mr. Impatient-who-can't-wait-for-the-right-part used the side of his grinder to make the spacer fit. My intent was to get the right part later, but get the car back on the road. It worked out far better and cleaner than I expected, but it was still a tight fit. I did some research on end play, but of course didn't write any of that down, but I came to the conclusion it needed some amount of end play. But I did open it back up and shaved another .010" off of it. It's an option for you, but it's a slow process. End play can be quite excessive on the 8.8, even as much as 1/8". I've read thicker C-clips can also take up some clearance, but I don't have a readily available source for that.
I have .020 end play

1 - 19 of 19 Posts