Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone is as anal as I am about the engine compartment and other plastic and metal components of your Shelby here is a great tip. One of my clients detailers recommended Pledge furniture polish for all metal and plastic parts. Works great and does not leave a greasy film or a bright shine. Brings out the natural tones of all metal and plastic parts. Used it on my Super Charger and was really impressed. At first I thought he was nuts but gave it a try and am glad I did.:) I prefer the cedar version over lemon, but will look to see if a non scented version is available.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If anyone is as anal as I am about the engine compartment and other plastic and metal components of your Shelby here is a great tip. One of my clients detailers recommended Pledge furniture polish for all metal and plastic parts. Works great and does not leave a greasy film or a bright shine. Brings out the natural tones of all metal and plastic parts. Used it on my Super Charger and was really impressed. At first I thought he was nuts but gave it a try and am glad I did.:) I prefer the cedar version over lemon, but will look to see if a non scented version is available.
I don't want mine smelling like a lemon!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't want mine smelling like a lemon!
Then go with cedar! Or go with some expensive detailing junk that does not work as well as Pledge. Just a suggestion you can go with it or not. Try it, you may like it. You may like the smell of an old closet better.:)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Then go with cedar! Or go with some expensive detailing junk that does not work as well as Pledge. Just a suggestion you can go with it or not. Try it, you may like it. You may like the smell of an old closet better.:)
Maybe this is what drove the PM! I was making a pun about the car actually being a lemon! I didn't intend to dispute the validity of your earlier post. Please accept my apology if I have ruffled some feathers.

Peace

Love

oldimp (Dope)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Very interesting. I never would have thought to try furniture polish. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try (If I ever get my Shelby).

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. I never would have thought to try furniture polish. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try (If I ever get my Shelby).
Trying to find if there is a nonscented version as I do agree with Oldimp and do not like the lemon version, although the cedar version is little easier on the senses. Oldimp(dope) Never!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If anyone is concerned as to the look or long term effects of Pledge, try it on one of your other vehicles and see the results. You will be pleased. Now for a tire product that does not leave a greasy film or spray residue all over our nice finishes? Will have to ask that detailer for suggestions. Have to go, rain has stopped, sun shining. Time to give it it's first bath and use busabay's Sponge Bob trick.:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just got done giving my baby her first bath or should I say sponge bath. I know some may not agree but in attempting her first wash I searched through a collection of detailing items my sons have accumulated and have decided to go with an old school method that proved so well for the seven years that I owned a brand new 1967 Oldsmobile 442. No disrespect to Ford people but it was a decent car of its time, although I would have preferred the Shelby, and even a Chevy 396SS although I had no say in the mater.

Born and raised in Manhattan a hose spigot and hose were some difficult items to come by and an old friend of mine insisted that soap was a catalyst for rust. Solution! Simple, plain old fashioned water. Thats right, a bucket of water applied properly can do the job on a some what dirty auto just fine. I used to use Dupont #7 at the time to remove road tar and prepare the surface for a good old fashion hand Simoniz job.

Here's the key: always start from top to bottom as you would with any type of auto cleaning, as not to bring lower road grit on the rag and spread it to upper surfaces, do not saturate the surfaces but use a dripping rag in applying the water to the washed surfaces, divide the car into segments always leaving lower sections last, and last of all the wheels which you may want to use some of todays products for this task. Also never ring the wrag into the bucket but in your driveway or road, or when I was a young one the street. You will find that the polish on the finish will last longer and Sponge Bob is not even moist. Once and a while you may want to use some of todays prewax cleaner products to get rid of some nasty bug and road stains. The whole process took less than 30 minutes and when raised on the streets of Manhattan, which was possible then but takes more than a millionaire today, can avoid some nasty confrontations.

Now she's ready for a good coat of wax and no need to wait for weather stipping surfaces to dry.

Soap will never touch my baby.

Happy detailing!:)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I rarely use soap when washing my vehicles. As long as you keep it waxed up, water is all you need.

Additional Note: Dishwashing soaps such as Dawn are great for striping off wax (if you want to switch brands). Only use occasionally because most are highly alkaline and will etch the clearcoat slightly.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rarely use soap when washing my vehicles. As long as you keep it waxed up, water is all you need.

Additional Note: Dishwashing soaps such as Dawn are great for striping off wax (if you want to switch brands). Only use occasionally because most are highly alkaline and will etch the clearcoat slightly.
I could not agree more and with the money saved you can buy Pledge!:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble with the stripes on the rear decklid. They won't shine very well. I have used wax and a detailing spray with the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks
NIGHT500

·
Moderator Dude!
27,935 Posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble with the stripes on the rear decklid. They won't shine very well. I have used wax and a detailing spray with the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks
NIGHT500
I had some bird crap etch into a stripe and it left a mark. I tried quite a few products with no help. I then used Liquid Glass polish and with a bunch of effort, the striped polished out with a nice shine. No sign of the bird crap etching.

I think Goose17 and Hardage are as anal as you are. They tell me when they detail their cars they use plenty of elbow grease also!!!
http://www.cheaplubes.com/elbowgreaselubricant.aspx

http://elbowgreaselubricants.com/
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would recommend S-100 Corrosion Protectant and S-100 Engine Brightener for underneath the hood. Both these products were made to be used on engines and will not break down under extreme heat.

S-100 Corrosion Protectant sprays on clear and absolutely stops/prevents any corrosion from taking place. You can also apply with a sponge brush. Just avoid getting it on the belts and pulleys. http://www.s100.com/s100_cp.htm

S-100 Engine Brightener works well for faded metal parts as well. http://www.s100.com/s100_eb.htm

You can also buy both products at any HD Bike Shop.

I battle tested the Corrosion Protectant on my Silverton Yacht engines in a highly corrosive salt water environment for over 5 years. NOT ONE SPEC of Corrosion and engines always looked factory new. I use it on my truck, cars, and HD on any metal surfaces under the hood and under the car. Particularly good for fasteners that will corrode easily and are hard to get to.

Try these products. You won't believe what they can do.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
And AGAIN:

If you have a bottle of S100 Corrosion Protectant it says: 'Before using remove any corrosion or oxidation using S100 Finish Restorer or S100 Polishing Soap.'

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I had some bird crap etch into a stripe and it left a mark. I tried quite a few products with no help. I then used Liquid Glass polish and with a bunch of effort, the striped polished out with a nice shine. No sign of the bird crap etching.

I'm sure a good job with quick detailer and clay bat would of gave you great results as well Goose,that's the way Ialways did mine and they always look great..either on the oem or the flat black

·
Registered
5,415 Posts

I'm sure a good job with quick detailer and clay bar would of gave you great results as well Goose,that's the way Ialways did mine and they always look great..either on the oem or the flat black

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts