Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decided to change the look up on my 2014.

2007 - 2014 
3K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Eagle01 
#1 ·
I have always been a fan of a brighter wheel as a black wheels design gets lost. So I sold my True Forged wheels (which I loved) and picked up a new set of wheels and some new side vinyl as I like the little things that make it yours.
I went with 19x10 in the fronts and 19x11 in the rear hoping to get that old school rake look (Phot enhances it because of incline). Overall I am happy and hoping it rekindles my desire to drive it More.

I can handle constructive criticism or any opinions. True friends tell you the truth not what you want to hear.

Heres a couple photos as it transitions.

See less See more
#3 ·
Change is good to rekindle the romance. I do like how you tied the bright color in with the side graphic.

I always liked your black wheels... they flowed with the car perfectly and looked sinister as hell. Having said that, I do like bright wheels and dig the chrome wheels on my 2011.

If I were to rate your two wheels, I’d give the black wheels an 11 and the new ones a 7.

Reactions: Tightlines
#4 ·
Totally digging your new look....simple and clean. I love contrast in wheel finish vs car color. You hit a home run. And the discreet GT500 graphic is perfect. Well done. Less is more I say.
I switched from the stock SVT wheel to a matte black wheel from Shelby to contrast my Perf White stripe delete Glass Roof GT500....

Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Car Wheel

#5 ·
Totally digging your new look....simple and clean. I love contrast in wheel finish vs car color. You hit a home run. And the discreet GT500 graphic is perfect. Well done. Less is more I say.
I switched from the stock SVT wheel to a matte black wheel from Shelby to contrast my Perf White stripe delete Glass Roof GT500....

View attachment 205528
Some black stripes would tie it all together nicely!

#6 ·
C’mon Goose... I’m staying skunk free....!!! Tho... I might add that GT500,in black, behind the front wheels like Tightlines did....maybe next season. Got 4-6 weeks left before Shelby goes to sleep for the winter, just going to enjoy some fall driving in the country for now...

#7 ·
Interesting to see GT350R style wheels on an S197. I have to be honest, I like the True Forge wheels better. And the True Forge are a superior quality wheel compared to those flow formed Project 6g’s. Little step backwards imo.

#12 ·
I do agree with this. If I could of kept my original set of TF in the original state I would have kept those. These are how the used to look before I sold them to a friend who powder coated them. (I bought them back powder coated)

There were two factors to also going with the new wheel setup. I am no longer going to fork out big $$ as I like to change things and when I sell them I get beat up on price. Much easier hit when selling lower cost wheel. Second, if I was going to change it up, I was going to really change up the design and I have always liked this wheel.

Appreciate your opinion and honesty.

#11 ·
Yes they are for now. I always had a thin 1/4” white stripe outside the over the top ones that I think play nice with side ones. I will give it some time to decide on those as that is a much bigger job to change.....or just go back to stripe delete.

#16 ·
Love them! I just don't get the continued love for black wheels. I grew up in the era of Cragar S/S and American Racing wheels, so a little contrast with the black tires just makes sense to me. I am not into chrome much, but a polished metal or metallic finish looks great. Just my two cents worth. Black wheels = meh

#19 ·
I grew up in the same era, had a couple G-bodies with Cragers. Thanks!

Looks great to me! I do really like the black wheels too.

Also... are we just going to ignore the elephant in the room?! The hellcat on the wall in the picture of his Shelby?! It just happens to also be reflecting on the hood. Im thinking you need a new graphic, something more cobraish?:unsure::unsure:
I was wondering about that myself!
LOL! That first picture was the night I bought the Shelby home. I originally had 2011 and traded in for a Hellcat (worst mistake ever). I then traded the Hellcat for my current 2014 Shelby.
Wall is most definitely update.

#17 ·
Looks great to me! I do really like the black wheels too.

Also... are we just going to ignore the elephant in the room?! The hellcat on the wall in the picture of his Shelby?! It just happens to also be reflecting on the hood. Im thinking you need a new graphic, something more cobraish?:unsure::unsure:

Reactions: Evil_E
#20 ·
I freaking loved your black wheels! Made your Shelby look just killer IMHO. Glad to hear the change made you want to drive it more --- that's a very good thing.

#24 ·
The black wheels have enough detail that they don’t get lost IMO, and are my favorite (but I don’t like change...just ask my wife).
The new wheels with the black side stripe is a no. But the new light color GT500 graphics pulls it together. I approve of the change.

#25 ·
Appreciate all the feedback and opinions. Trust me, I loved my car before with the Black wheels and may regret it down the road but we shall see. I would give anything to have them back to their finish when they were on my red 2011 but I was told that was not possible.
@Leo1074 The Cat spent more time in Dodges garage then my garage. So much they were making payments for me. Had enough and got rid of it.

#26 ·
Appreciate all the feedback and opinions. Trust me, I loved my car before with the Black wheels and may regret it down the road but we shall see. I would give anything to have them back to their finish when they were on my red 2011 but I was told that was not possible.
@Leo1074 The Cat spent more time in Dodges garage then my garage. So much they were making payments for me. Had enough and got rid of it.
Ouch! Good call then. I do have to say they whine like nothing else out there! I wish my Shelby had a hellcat's whine.

#29 · (Edited)
I can handle constructive criticism or any opinions. True friends tell you the truth not what you want to hear.
I've said the same thing to my wife and friends for years.

Personally, I think the wheel change is a huge improvement, and the stripe change is actually a great idea. I agree with whoever it was that said 'less is more'. It looks really nice.

Your pics only show the side view. Did you keep the dual stripes?

For years I've always held to the idea that black wheels just didn't do a whole lot for me. But in more recent times I seem to have some to the conclusion that its a case by case situation. Motor City Man's car being a perfect example how good black wheels can look on the right colored car.

#32 ·
I've said the same thing to my wife and friends for years.

Personally, I think the wheel change is a huge improvement, and the stripe change is actually a great idea. I agree with whoever it was that said 'less is more'. It looks really nice.

Your pics only show the side view. Did you keep the dual stripes?
Thanks! For now, yes the dual black over the top matte stripes with white borders is staying.

I have had glossy black stripes front to back on my stripe delete, lasted about 8 months...
After about 3 months I went to Matte Black and side stripes, Hated trying to avoid when 'polishing', lasted about 3 months...
Then a bit later I put on Silver front to back and side stripes, the glare from off the hood was horrid...

Now and for the past 2-3 years, just left the side silver stripes w/red pins and they are staying !

1 ) Never did ask what others thought
B ) The only others I considered were the darker red stripes?
III ) Some people (me) just need to change things to find what they (me) like and suits the individual.
d ) I like what I have now and that is what matters, it is all an individuals choice. None are "right or wrong".
5 ) Do what you want/like and don't really care what others think, they really do not matter.

JMHO
I don’t disagree with any of this. I am doing what I want. Trust me, I would say 80% of the people who are close to me and I told I was doing this thought I was nuts to get rid of the sinister look.
I just wanted it to be known if someone had a different opinion about my changes to feel free to share.
You definitely have gone through some options with your final decision, I commend you, that takes a lot of time!

#30 · (Edited)
I have had glossy black stripes front to back on my stripe delete, lasted about 8 months...
After about 3 months I went to Matte Black and side stripes, Hated trying to avoid when 'polishing', lasted about 3 months...
Then a bit later I put on Silver front to back and side stripes, the glare from off the hood was horrid...

Now and for the past 2-3 years, just left the side silver stripes w/red pins and they are staying !

1 ) Never did ask what others thought
B ) The only others I considered were the darker red stripes?
III ) Some people (me) just need to change things to find what they (me) like and suits the individual.
d ) I like what I have now and that is what matters, it is all an individuals choice. None are "right or wrong".
5 ) Do what you want/like and don't really care what others think, they really do not matter.

JMHO

Ken
RLTW

#31 ·
I have the same silver hash marks and red pins along with a few other things I just haven't installed yet. A Shelby black w/red shifter knob for a few years. Tim and I tried to remove the stock knob at Shelbyfest last year. Damn thing must have been put on with Liquid Nail! It wouldn't budge!

Reactions: Goose17
#33 ·
I like. When/if I change my wheels I am leaning towards bright/polished. Wish I could purchase the 13/14 SS wheels for sale on here. Priorities.

#36 ·
Oh yeah, Agree! I was close to calling Modular to place an order as those weren’t for sale when I placed my order. I stopped because of all the low balling, saying I am crazy to ask $3200 for a Full set of True Forged that was originally $6k. I wasn’t going to drop another $6k and worry about selling down the line for pennies on the dollar. A lot of people think all used wheels sell at the same price no matter what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.