Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken a look at the issue yet, there is a comparo between the viper, the z06 and the Shelby. Good news our car beats the viper in the comparo but we fell a little short of the z06, the complaints are the usual (too heavy, and slower than the other two) but nothing that cant be fixed witha couple mods. The way I look at it is that if we are ahead of the 80k viper and a little short of the 65k z06 i can take some of the cash I saved by buying my shelby and I can put the mods to be faster than them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The new Z06s start at $70,000.

But I get what you're saying, for the price, the GT500 is damn hard to beat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The new Z06s start at $70,000.

But I get what you're saying, for the price, the GT500 is damn hard to beat.
Good luck finding one for that price. Carsdirect is the cheapest I've found at 88K :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
kinda odd they used the GT500 in the comparison. Why didnt they use the Ford GT and then compare the GT500 to the Charger and Z6. Its nice that they thought so highly of the GT500 to include it though with the other two cars being much lighter and far bigger engines. And the GT500 did pretty good with much smaller tires on the road course.

·
Registered
100 Posts
kinda odd they used the GT500 in the comparison. Why didnt they use the Ford GT and then compare the GT500 to the Charger and Z6. Its nice that they thought so highly of the GT500 to include it though with the other two cars being much lighter and far bigger engines. And the GT500 did pretty good with much smaller tires on the road course.
Because then the anti-Ford nuts would cry foul b/c the Ford GT is more or less a race car with street manners.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think the biggest news from the Motor Trend issue is 30,000 over three years of run has been committed to by Ford.

That makes news a little easier for folks like me who haven't ordered yet.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think the biggest news from the Motor Trend issue is 30,000 over three years of run has been committed to by Ford.

That makes news a little easier for folks like me who haven't ordered yet.
Yepper! Not much of a collector at those numbers....

Man, those z06's are insane!!!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
If either the mustang was lighter or more power we would have gotten higher marks... I think we all know Ford could have done things to make the car lighter.. and we know for sure they could better tune the car. Bbut for some reason and I can only think of one they just did not want to go the next step. Like 07 has said in the past we could pick this car apart and wished it had this or that but keeping the car in a price range of 42,000 to 45,000 (like that happend) we could not expect much more of a car. I do think they could have tuned the car better... we all know what the results are from guys like Justin @ vmp, and give us the option of gears (3.26, 3.55, 3.77) from the factor. My guess why not is the GT40 owners would scream at ford if the Shelby under 50K would run or almost run with a GT40 after they spent $ 150,000. So somewhere in a meeting room it was decided to not but the lightest rims on, tune it better, etc. Hopefully they will not have this mind set for every because they could do everything I just said and call it a GT500 KR with very little tooling changes and than do a test with the 3 cars again and see how things look :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If either the mustang was lighter or more power we would have gotten higher marks... I think we all know Ford could have done things to make the car lighter.. and we know for sure they could better tune the car. Bbut for some reason and I can only think of one they just did not want to go the next step. Like 07 has said in the past we could pick this car apart and wished it had this or that but keeping the car in a price range of 42,000 to 45,000 (like that happend) we could not expect much more of a car. I do think they could have tuned the car better... we all know what the results are from guys like Justin @ vmp, and give us the option of gears (3.26, 3.55, 3.77) from the factor. My guess why not is the GT40 owners would scream at ford if the Shelby under 50K would run or almost run with a GT40 after they spent $ 150,000. So somewhere in a meeting room it was decided to not but the lightest rims on, tune it better, etc. Hopefully they will not have this mind set for every because they could do everything I just said and call it a GT500 KR with very little tooling changes and than do a test with the 3 cars again and see how things look :)
Well said, Busababy. I think Ford remained conservative to give themselves more opportunity for improvement with new models. Slap on a tune and now you have a KR :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts