Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmm, crazy thing happened today that I won't forget for a while along with the fact that I'll never completely understand women and try to figure our their thought processes. The wife gave me permission today to buy the car I really wanted. Well she knows I want to get back into a GT500 but told me to get what I wanted.

Yes, I'm pacing myself for the next ride but looking for a little iddy biddy honesty from you guys.

Quick Comparison: Pound-for-Pound: Is the GT500 closely comparable with the 2007 Corvette ZO6? In an all out chase who "should" prevail?

Furthermore, regarding the SuperSnake: Should the SuperSnake, if one could get their hands on one, keep pace with the new 2008-2009 Corvette ZO7 (blue-devil)? Don't know too much about the Devil but read about the SS.

Well, again I simply ask for you guys opinions and honesty. Though my heart is still burning for a bad-azzzzzz GT500

Thanks

flip

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quick Comparison: Pound-for-Pound: Is the GT500 closely comparable with the 2007 Corvette ZO6? In an all out chase who "should" prevail?
Honestly?

Stock vs. stock, the Z06 will out run and out maneuver the GT500. All while carrying 2 less people. You can mod the GT500 to out perform the Z06 in a straight line, but the Z06 will still out maneuver the GT500. All while carrying 2 less people.

The GT500 will get more attention on the road.

That's my honest opinion.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The Z06 is a powerful and light vehicle. In most cases, I believe a Z06 will smoke a GT500. But you're comparing a Z06 @ $70K vs. a GT500 @ $45K. If you buy a GT500 and sink $25K into it, you will destroy any stock Z06 out there. The new Z06's are nice cars, but dollar for dollar, I have to take a GT500.

Another argument for the GT500: It just feels like a muscle car...loud, unrefined and not so graceful. I really like that quality when I'm behind the wheel. You can feel every bit of that horsepower in the seat of your pants. It makes me feel kinda funny. :cowtounge:

·
Registered
298 Posts
flipmo--the wifes not happy but I ended up ordering for myself a 08 Pace Car Vette with the smaller LS3(?) engine. It was substantially less expensive than the Z06 and outputs about 440 (?) or so h/p.. So the GT500 is still "King" for me with 500 h/p + & the Vette will be a decal/pretty summer driver (with automatic transmission so the wife can drive it) . Good news is that she will get to drive the car occasionally---Bad news for her is that she will lose her garage spot and as it gets closer to next winter and it gets colder- Ill be in more hot water !

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I agree with both Orf and rpretzel. The Z06 is a faster and better handling car. There's no way I'd own one though, as I don't care for the seating position and cramped feel of the interior.

On the other hand, if you were serious about being fast...to the point of sacrificing on comfort, you could buy the GT500 and remove a bunch of weight via (I'm estimating/guessing a bit on the weights...so cut me some slack):
1) One piece driveshaft ~30 lbs
2) Aftermarket mufflers ~ 10 lbs
3) LCAs ~ 5 lbs
4) Racing seats ~40 lbs
5) Carbon fiber hood ~10 lbs
6) Lighter wheels (not sure about this one) ~ 10 lbs
7) Front Kmember ~25 lbs
8) Weight blocks on differential ~10 lbs
9) "quasi-essentials" like fog lights and some of the engine compartment cleanup items like the radiator cover, etc. ~10 lbs
10) Misc. such as trunk carpeting, air compressor in trunk, sound deadening, front air dam (unless you plan on driving > 100 mph) etc ~30 lbs

and that would speed up the car a bit....it would become closer...still doubtful enough to match a stock Vette without additional horsepower. I think the Vette stock is about 600 lbs lighter than our cars...that's a lot of weight to overcome.

Dave

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not fair to compare....two different animals...but,,,,,....stock for stock a Z will eat a Gt500 on a straight line and destroy it in the twisties. Same goes for the SS vs. the ZR-1....
If you have the means get the Z06...no mods needed...."supercar" performance. The looks of a Z are stunning to me...much better than a gt500 IMO. A few mods (full exhaust, cai, cams) and it will be a monster!!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478334

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O.K. guys and thanks for your honest opinion. I know it hurts but like George Jefferson said, "The truth shall set you free".:) :) Still kind of looking for more opinions because I was thinking there would be more who'd vouch for the performance of the GT500.

But, I'm still sticking w/the 500 regardless. Yes, like one said above, remove the weight and add the bolt-ons and there you go.:simmadown:

Even the SS -vs- ZR-1, I thought the SS would be right there with it on the stretch. This pisses me off more than anything. I'm pretty sure SVT has something up it's sleeve because "Performance Companies" and "Manufacturers" usually takes turns in leading the horsepower race. So is it just Chevy's turn?:thinkerg: :thinkerg:

Thanks Guys

flip

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Every one of us who bought a GT500 could have bought a Vette for the same or less money. Some that paid the early ADM's could have bought a Z06.

The Vette, to me, is sorta Ho-Hum and the GT500 is more what I was looking for. A true re-born muscule car instead of a sports car.

Most Vette owners that I've seen usually have their noses up in the air like they and their cars are "special". That's why it is so much fun to smoke one now and then. It's funny, If you watch alot of the guys at the evening car shows who have vettes, they usually get there early and park together. They won't even look at a Mustang, etc. for fear that one of their clique buddies might catch them.:lol:

Last year I sold my GT500 vert with the idea that I would buy a Z06 or a Challenger. I'm still considering the Challenger but have pretty much ruled out the vette.

My advice is to buy the GT500, mod it and go out and smoke Z06's. It will be alot more fun.:bandit:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I drive by the local Chebby dealer every day on the way to and from work. At any given time, there are 4 - 6 used Vettes on their lot, always parked in the row closest to the street.

I never see any used GT500s at the Ford dealer.

I like the "rare factor" of our cars, and the fact that they're somewhat more exlcusive than a Corvette. Anyone can walk into a Chevy store and buy a Vette. Buying a GT500 isn't quite as easy. Plus, I like the looks of the GT500 much better. The current generation Corvette body doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Gt500 all the way. Vette's are dime a dozen, and body style hasn't changed much from year to year. Now if they one one with the 67 style (w/stinger hood), that would be a beast adn true GM muscle to have.

The vette would win, smaller, lighter, more aerodynamically sound.

No desire to match wits with a vette, just wanted a true muscle. :D IMO!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Gt500 all the way. Vette's are dime a dozen, and body style hasn't changed much from year to year. Now if they one one with the 67 style (w/stinger hood), that would be a beast adn true GM muscle to have.

The vette would win, smaller, lighter, more aerodynamically sound.

No desire to match wits with a vette, just wanted a true muscle. :D IMO!
Vettes are a dime a dozen? So are Mustangs.

If you're saying the GT500 is NOT a dime a dozen, then that's also true of the Z-06.

Dave

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Vettes are a dime a dozen? So are Mustangs.

If you're saying the GT500 is NOT a dime a dozen, then that's also true of the Z-06.

Dave
If Mustangs are a dime a dozen, Vettes would be more like 15.5 cents a dozen. :bandit:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Here is the quick fix. Get the Shelby put 10K of mods on it you should be around 55K than purchase a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa and mop up anything on the road 0 to 185mph. Now you have your cake and eat it to :roller:

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Let me see, your wife just gave you permission to blow up to 70k of the family money and you can't decide whether you want a GT500 or a Z06???
JAFC!!!, flip a coin and stop being a girl about it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me see, your wife just gave you permission to blow up to 70k of the family money and you can't decide whether you want a GT500 or a Z06???
JAFC!!!, flip a coin and stop being a girl about it.
Hmmmmmm, I have to take this from a Newbie - :flame: :roller: . Careful infestment a prudent individual would say. Though I've decided, just was looking for honest opinions from the board.

But, the 1st amendment entitles everyone :boohoo:. Thanks Guys.

flip

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Hmmmmmm, I have to take this from a Newbie - :flame: :roller: . Careful infestment a prudent individual would say. Though I've decided, just was looking for honest opinions from the board.

flip

Hey, don't take me serious I am just jealous cause I have to wait till Dec/Jan to get one. I am a former Vette owner and like the GT more for several reasons. But you can't go wrong with either car. Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey, don't take me serious I am just jealous cause I have to wait till Dec/Jan to get one. I am a former Vette owner and like the GT more for several reasons. But you can't go wrong with either car. Good luck.
Looks like the "senior member" pulled rank ...:roller:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

flip
Well.........What have you decided on Flip? Both cars are awesome.:bandit:

Cal

1 - 20 of 36 Posts