Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
321 - 340 of 363 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 GT500 HE
447 Posts
For me, anything over 500 HP is pretty crazy. That pretty much covers any GT500 owner on this forum. It depends on your point of view but ask most anyone driving a normal everyday car and I bet 99% would agree. Forum members seem to get used to the power levels and then the modding begins. I don’t know how many times I’ve read about how a car “woke up” after the first mods. Then down the RWHP rabbit hole we go! My 2011 had 550HP, 1 Alibi 2 has 662HP on his 2014 (not sure if it is still stock) - pretty much the same as a 2022 NASCAR car and the 2022 GT500 has 760HP. There is always more HP but to me they are all pretty crazy and I love it!

·
Premium Member
2022 GT500 HE
447 Posts
With cars roaming the streets with 1000 to 1500 rwhp, Ford makes a good starting point..
That is very true. Not many cars like that but they are out there. I guess it depends on the individual and when they decide enough is enough. I remember reading a post by @03reptile where he modded his 13/14 GT500 and it was too much. I like the excitement/thrill driving my car but I also have a feel for my limitations. I’ll leave those insane horsepower cars to better men than me.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
11,984 Posts
I always felt the 2013/14 GT500's were at the limit of the abilities of their live rear axle, suspension, and tires with the 662 HP engine. I think the Ford engineers knew this, as well. When I added another 100HP, it simply overwhelmed the already "taxed to the limit" suspension system and rendered the car simply dangerous, regardless of the driver's skills. Professional drivers know these limitations and their racing crews and engineers design the cars so that the power compliments the suspension and doesn't overwhelm it. Cpcycles is right. Even Formula 1 drivers and the race organizations who set requirements have limitations built into their engines so they can finish a race and not end up DNF.
This complimentary balance of power and suspension is what makes the GT350 and the 2020+ GT500's such well-balanced vehicles on a road course.

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
With cars roaming the streets with 1000 to 1500 rwhp, Ford makes a good starting point..
1000 sounds good and about right to me
I like good round even numbers !!!

I always felt the 2013/14 GT500's were at the limit of the abilities of their live rear axle, suspension, and tires with the 662 HP engine. I think the Ford engineers knew this, as well. When I added another 100HP, it simply overwhelmed the already "taxed to the limit" suspension system and rendered the car simply dangerous, regardless of the driver's skills. Professional drivers know these limitations and their racing crews and engineers design the cars so that the power compliments the suspension and doesn't overwhelm it. Cpcycles is right. Even Formula 1 drivers and the race organizations who set requirements have limitations built into their engines so they can finish a race and not end up DNF.
This complimentary balance of power and suspension is what makes the GT350 and the 2020+ GT500's such well-balanced vehicles on a road course.
Mikey... some idiots always want more !!!

I thought when I got mine it was anemic with around 500 at the flywheel, so the first SF after getting it in November Mr. BJ and company (VMP) 'fixed' it for me !! Put about 625 of fun to the wheels, well soon the fun wanted more... so it got way more fun nearly a year later... kind of hit a 'milestone' for me.... but, it gets addictive, so got bumped to a bit more !!!! More fun for me !!! But at the "magic number" where lots of people say they will grenade, I had some 'de-tuning' done to try to keep the lower stuff in one piece. Well, to be honest, I want more and have it stay together so it will soon be going in for some real FUN surgery.

I can assure you, there will not be any "...complimentary balance..." about it, Sorry.

Just remember: 'Just because you have it, you don't have to use all of it' :D

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
11,984 Posts
1000 sounds good and about right to me
I like good round even numbers !!!

Mikey... some idiots always want more !!!

I thought when I got mine it was anemic with around 500 at the flywheel, so the first SF after getting it in November Mr. BJ and company (VMP) 'fixed' it for me !! Put about 625 of fun to the wheels, well soon the fun wanted more... so it got way more fun nearly a year later... kind of hit a 'milestone' for me.... but, it gets addictive, so got bumped to a bit more !!!! More fun for me !!! But at the "magic number" where lots of people say they will grenade, I had some 'de-tuning' done to try to keep the lower stuff in one piece. Well, to be honest, I want more and have it stay together so it will soon be going in for some real FUN surgery.

I can assure you, there will not be any "...complimentary balance..." about it, Sorry.

Just remember: 'Just because you have it, you don't have to use all of it' :D
Yes, and if I recollect correctly, some former Army Airborne Ranger exploded his clutch and damaged the transmission synchronizers after having increased the HP on a particular blue Shelby that I recall seeing him drive in the past! :eek: ;);):D

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Yes, and if I recollect correctly, some former Army Airborne Ranger exploded his clutch and damaged the transmission synchronizers after having increased the HP on a particular blue Shelby that I recall seeing him drive in the past! :eek: ;);):D
Mike, I'm on the third clutch.
This last one is the McLeod 1200hp
The "Ford pos stock" went out in glory...came out in eleven pieces. The second was the McLeod 800hp, fried in a year.
This 1200 has held up well.
The synchros never went south... TREMEC told me about their New ones which are a million times better. I can shift up or down to any gear whenever I choose. The cheap ass ones Ford specked, the cause of all the "second gear grind" issues, we're crap!

Yes, I drive it HARD, it is a SHELBY... it needs to be driven hard.
I also screwed up the 2 piece crap drive shaft, replaced with one pc DSS.
Replaced the leaking Pinion seal.
Replaced the rear gears w/373's.
Most of the rear suspension parts Replaced.
The stock crap shifter went away for the MGWII.
On my 3rd VMP 'upgraded' super charger.
Carry my tunes with me, so when I can get decent fuel I load a better tune.
20" rims, a bit wider. Nitto's 555's
Pulleys, upper and lower
and a lot of other little things to help squeeze all I can out of it.
This is a Toy, 100%. I have most always broken my toys !

I 'DRIVE` it hard... I break things... I replace with better, stronger...

:)

·
Registered
2021 GT500-2.85 griptech pulley/long tube headers/JLT Intake/1050x Injectors
1,208 Posts
Dang, we are two pee’s in a pod just different generations! Wish we were closer together. Sounds like you and I roll the same way. SEND IT it get out the way! Lol

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Dang, we are two pee’s in a pod just different generations! Wish we were closer together. Sounds like you and I roll the same way. SEND IT it get out the way! Lol
Could well be...
Didn't mention;
Dual pump boosters
Injectors
JLT CAI
Twin 65 TB Ford Racing
170 Tstat
"Highflow" cats w/ H Pipe
most likely other stuff, I forget !

And to top it off.... No Top, a Vert...

...my last SF... the loudest car... measured with a decibel meter... made a toddler across the street cry (sorry about that one)

It Is Obnoxiuos.

·
Registered
2021 GT500-2.85 griptech pulley/long tube headers/JLT Intake/1050x Injectors
1,208 Posts
Could well be...
Didn't mention;
Dual pump boosters
Injectors
JLT CAI
Twin 65 TB Ford Racing
170 Tstat
"Highflow" cats w/ H Pipe
most likely other stuff, I forget !

And to top it off.... No Top, a Vert...

...my last SF... the loudest car... measured with a decibel meter... made a toddler across the street cry (sorry about that one)

It Is Obnoxiuos.
Love it!

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 oxford white vinyl top stripe and side stripe handling package technology package
207 Posts
N1125 is my chassis number. I wanted it as my tag number but apparently that was taken

321 - 340 of 363 Posts