Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys/Gals, I have a few questions.

The wheels and tires on our cars are as such: 18 x 9.5 wheels with 255/45ZR18 fronts and 285/40ZR18 rears.

I'm thinking about a tire combination change.

1) Does anyone know whether or not the 285/40ZR18 rear set will actually fit on the front "as is" with no driveability problems?

2) I've also heard that 305/35 or 45/18s on the rear will actually fit. Has anyone actually tried this size on the rear or know whether or not the 305s will actually fit?

3) Finally, I've read where a few have tried and questioned the aluminum and carbon fiber driveshafts? Can anyone attest to any actual performance gains? Whether dyno proven or feel of the seat difference in performance? And, how much horsepower - ft.-lbs torque will the stock driveshaft actually support?

Thanks Guys

flip

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Guys/Gals, I have a few questions.

The wheels and tires on our cars are as such: 18 x 9.5 wheels with 255/45ZR18 fronts and 285/40ZR18 rears.

I'm thinking about a tire combination change.

1) Does anyone know whether or not the 285/40ZR18 rear set will actually fit on the front "as is" with no driveability problems?

2) I've also heard that 305/35 or 45/18s on the rear will actually fit. Has anyone actually tried this size on the rear or know whether or not the 305s will actually fit?

3) Finally, I've read where a few have tried and questioned the aluminum and carbon fiber driveshafts? Can anyone attest to any actual performance gains? Whether dyno proven or feel of the seat difference in performance? And, how much horsepower - ft.-lbs torque will the stock driveshaft actually support?

Thanks Guys

flip

1-not sure

2-305's fit on the rear

3-The 3.5" aluminum driveshaft works fine with no problems and the original 2 piece drive shaft is at its limit.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
3-The 3.5" aluminum driveshaft works fine with no problems and the original 2 piece drive shaft is at its limit.
Didn't somebody on the tour mention that the stock DS was rated for 550 crank hp? More than stock, but right there with a conservative tune.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Didn't somebody on the tour mention that the stock DS was rated for 550 crank hp? More than stock, but right there with a conservative tune.
If that's the case, I guess I better start thinking about a new drive shaft. 507 at the wheels is at least 560+ at the crank. :eek: Well, one more thing to add to the shopping list.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Orf,
I believe you are correct.I know a few people that have already blown their 2 piece drive shafts.Vnmous1 has replaced 2,ouch.I changed mine right away as I didn't want to negotiate a broken shaft under load.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
If that's the case, I guess I better start thinking about a new drive shaft. 507 at the wheels is at least 560+ at the crank. :eek: Well, one more thing to add to the shopping list.

Prez,
It's only fitting you buy the 1st lady a new drive shaft cause if it breaks you know whose going to get grounded.;) I highly recommend a safety loop also.:D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok who has the best deal on the drive shaft?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Prez,
It's only fitting you buy the 1st lady a new drive shaft cause if it breaks you know whose going to get grounded.;) I highly recommend a safety loop also.:D
So, which drive shaft did you get and, if you don't mind, how much was it?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
So, which drive shaft did you get and, if you don't mind, how much was it?

I got it from evolution.I think it was about $800.00 I'm not sure about the safety loop,made by Che.The drive shaft was made by Dyna Tech.It's balance and I don't have any issues.Do a Google for more info.I am happy:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it from evolution.I think it was about $800.00 I'm not sure about the safety loop,made by Che.The drive shaft was made by Dyna Tech.It's balance and I don't have any issues.Do a Google for more info.I am happy:D
Thanks Guys. Well, I'm going to try the tire combo out. Would love the rears on the fronts and bump up to 305s on the rear (drag radials though). Hopefully it will ride O.K.

flip

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Ok who has the best deal on the drive shaft?
I did allitle checking and coastdriveline.com has a heavy duty aluminum one for the GT500 for $642.00. 800-533-8087. A guy named Bill left me a message with the price.

Cal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts