Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circuit Of The Americas with Edge Addicts Dec 18th 2022! The video starts with instruction in a 797 hp Hellcat Redeye! Next up is highlights from the 1st two instructor sessions. The video ends with a brave college girl ride-along while I ratchet up the speeds to full-send mode! She was an absolute TROUPER! I kept checking on her while we were chatting on intercom and she was good to go. We ran a 2:26 together, which is a rough, wild ride! Other noteworthy items for the day: I was running Hawk Performance DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rear pads as well as Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires. My tires and brakes had considerable wear, but were still up to the task. Also of note, my lap timing wasn't cooperating all day and I didn't get times for quite a few of my laps. The best lap I captured data for was a 2:26. I had a 2:24 going into the final turn on one lap, but cars were pitting in front of me and I got off throttle to look if I missed any flags. I hadn't, so I resumed the lap and missed the 2:24. My best recorded time at COTA to date is a 2:23, which I have done on both Hoosiers and the 3Rs.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Circuit Of The Americas with Edge Addicts Dec 18th 2022! The video starts with instruction in a 797 hp Hellcat Redeye! Next up is highlights from the 1st two instructor sessions. The video ends with a brave college girl ride-along while I ratchet up the speeds to full-send mode! She was an absolute TROUPER! I kept checking on her while we were chatting on intercom and she was good to go. We ran a 2:26 together, which is a rough, wild ride! Other noteworthy items for the day: I was running Hawk Performance DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rear pads as well as Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires. My tires and brakes had considerable wear, but were still up to the task. Also of note, my lap timing wasn't cooperating all day and I didn't get times for quite a few of my laps. The best lap I captured data for was a 2:26. I had a 2:24 going into the final turn on one lap, but cars were pitting in front of me and I got off throttle to look if I missed any flags. I hadn't, so I resumed the lap and missed the 2:24. My best recorded time at COTA to date is a 2:23, which I have done on both Hoosiers and the 3Rs.

Off topic, some what, Tim, you mention doing some videos before, using the GT500 Base Models? I forget exactly what you mentioned , are those posted on your YouTube page, I was scrolling though your page last night, watching several Track videos, including the Track Attack video's.

Anyway just wondering. Thanks🙏

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Off topic, some what, Tim, you mention doing some videos before, using the GT500 Base Models? I forget exactly what you mentioned , are those posted on your YouTube page, I was scrolling though your page last night, watching several Track videos, including the Track Attack video's.

Anyway just wondering. Thanks🙏
I drove the base model handling package cars both times I went to Track Attack. I never took my base model to the track.

· #1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
12,181 Posts
Fun video! I'm noticing you are carrying more speed through some of the corners this time, as compared to the earlier COTA video's! More confidence in the car or track familiarity? Funny watching it break loose a bit when the tires were cold and outside temps were low! The other cars were doing the same thing in that one corner! Fun to watch! Slight pucker factor! Makes my neck hurt! LOL!

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fun video! I'm noticing you are carrying more speed through some of the corners this time, as compared to the earlier COTA video's! More confidence in the car or track familiarity? Funny watching it break loose a bit when the tires were cold and outside temps were low! The other cars were doing the same thing in that one corner! Fun to watch! Slight pucker factor! Makes my neck hurt! LOL!
Thanks Mike!

I have run this amazing track many times and very familiar with it now. Higher speeds comes with knowledge of the track as well as good tires and brakes.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Tim, Go show Car&driver, Road&Track, how to drive. ;)
Join Car and Driver in partnership with Kaizen Autosport at Virginia International Raceway for a track day like no other. Take on the track and experience Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap for yourself!
Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Virginia International Raceway
Use promo code CDVIP2023 to take 10% off.

ANNOUNCING OUR NEW ENTHUSIAST GROUP
No track experience? No worries! Register as an Enthusiast for a thrilling Grand Course driving experience with guidance from pro coaches.
Read all about the track day here to get a taste of what’s in store!

Join us for a day of high-octane thrills including:

Exclusive access to VIR’s 4.1 mile, 24 turn Grand Course

Four lead-follow sessions for the Enthusiast Group

Three warm-up sessions and two Lightning Lap Time Trial sessions for the Experienced Group

Awesome prizes for each Experienced Group’s class winner
(including a Lightning Lap trophy, recognition on Car and Driver,
and a Road & Track All-Access subscription)
Use promo code CDVIP2023 for 10% off.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Tim, Go show Car&driver, Road&Track, how to drive. ;)
Join Car and Driver in partnership with Kaizen Autosport at Virginia International Raceway for a track day like no other. Take on the track and experience Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap for yourself!

Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Virginia International Raceway
Use promo code CDVIP2023 to take 10% off.

ANNOUNCING OUR NEW ENTHUSIAST GROUP
No track experience? No worries! Register as an Enthusiast for a thrilling Grand Course driving experience with guidance from pro coaches.
Read all about the track day here to get a taste of what’s in store!

Join us for a day of high-octane thrills including:

Exclusive access
to VIR’s 4.1 mile, 24 turn Grand Course

Four lead-follow sessions for the Enthusiast Group

Three warm-up sessions and two Lightning Lap Time Trial sessions for the Experienced Group

Awesome prizes for each Experienced Group’s class winner
(including a Lightning Lap trophy, recognition on Car and Driver,
and a Road & Track All-Access subscription)

Use promo code CDVIP2023 for 10% off.

Hey, when I move back to the USA, lets get a GT500 Forum group and go, You, Chris, everyone. Tim you'll be our leader:ROFLMAO:
Great Video Tim, I forgot to mention that the other day🙏

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, when I move back to the USA, lets get a GT500 Forum group and go, You, Chris, everyone. Tim you'll be our leader:ROFLMAO:
Great Video Tim, I forgot to mention that the other day🙏
Thanks Thomas!

I will be buying an F350 this year, which will be a much better tow vehicle than my current F150. I plan to travel to some farther away tracks to include Road Atlanta and Road America.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Thanks Thomas!

I will be buying an F350 this year, which will be a much better tow vehicle than my current F150. I plan to travel to some farther away tracks to include Road Atlanta and Road America.
Tim, you ever drive at VIR? I have only heard about how great the track is, I do believe several Forum members here, have driven at that track.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

· #1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
12,181 Posts
Thanks Mike!

I have run this amazing track many times and very familiar with it now. Higher speeds comes with knowledge of the track as well as good tires and brakes.
I'd love to view an on-board camera of a F-1 race car negotiating that track. I wonder if their lines would be any different?

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love to view an on-board camera of a F-1 race car negotiating that track. I wonder if their lines would be any different?
I have watched F1 at COTA a few times on TV. It’s insane! Those cars are super light and just WHIP around the corners! Yes, they have different lines. They aren’t negotiating corners with 4100 lbs. NASCAR was also at COTA. Their lines were much more like what I do, but they still had some unique takes on some of the sections.

COTA is a bad ass track! It is considerably wider than other tracks I have driven. It was design for multiple F1 cars jamming into corners. Plus the straights, curbing, and hill at turn one are unlike no other I’ve driven. COTA and Ozarks are very different experiences and they are my two favorites!

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
I copy pasted it here, so you don't have to look.

Tim, I watched the video above again, watching your instruction to the Hellcat driver, I learned a couple things, how you're setting him up for his lines yes? When you went solo, that was with only instructors on the course yes?

You blowing by those Porsches, and everyone else.;) The girl was a trooper didn't looked scared at all.

One other question, your camera setup what is it, I see your helmet cam, you have two Cellphones up front monitoring what exactly?

The back camera that is mounted on your roll bar is a ? Also could it be mounted on say my Back glass?

I spent the passed 2 hours watching your track videos. Again awesome stuff.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I copy pasted it here, so you don't have to look.

Tim, I watched the video above again, watching your instruction to the Hellcat driver, I learned a couple things, how you're setting him up for his lines yes? When you went solo, that was with only instructors on the course yes?

You blowing by those Porsches, and everyone else.;) The girl was a trooper didn't looked scared at all.

One other question, your camera setup what is it, I see your helmet cam, you have two Cellphones up front monitoring what exactly?

The back camera that is mounted on your roll bar is a ? Also could it be mounted on say my Back glass?

I spent the passed 2 hours watching your track videos. Again awesome stuff.
Moved your post out of the F350 thread and put it here Thomas. I run one phone camera iPhone 11 with Track Addict filming me. My car has built in front and rear Blackvue dash cams. I don’t usually use this footage… it is backup footage in case other cameras have issues. My rollbar cam is a Hero 10. My helmet cam is another Hero 10. The 360 panning footage comes from a GoPro 360 Max (not used at COTA lately as they stopped allowing external cameras). I run a Hero 9 on my rear bumper mainly for audio.

As for the college girl, she took the insanity like a CHAMP!

The RedEye driver was new to the track. I was giving him race line info as well as gas/brake info.

• Helpful

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Moved your post out of the F350 thread and put it here Thomas. I run one phone camera iPhone 11 with Track Addict filming me. My car has built in front and rear Blackvue dash cams. I don’t usually use this footage… it is backup footage in case other cameras have issues. My rollbar cam is a Hero 10. My helmet cam is another Hero 10. The 360 panning footage comes from a GoPro 360 Max (not used at COTA lately as they stopped allowing external cameras). I run a Hero 9 on my rear bumper mainly for audio.

As for the college girl, she took the insanity like a CHAMP!

The RedEye driver was new to the track. I was giving him race line info as well as gas/brake info.
Thank you Tim, just got home from Clark Speedway, very Windy today, only one other guy out there had the track to myself. I have no video or pictures this time as the wife was at school and grandson was also at school.

I will be asking a few questions tomorrow, about these cameras after I read about them. I'll have couple other questions about Tracking the car Tim, Hope you don't mine.

I wish I had someone here like you to teach me, little harder learning alone this time. Had a blast though, just exhausted. :LOL:

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Hello Tim,

I am still undecided on what dash cam I'll go with the one I have been seriously thinking about is this, it has 3 cameras including a interior one, not sure how good it is. Joe lightrules, uses says it works great.

The Hero 10 is nice, if I went that route its just one camera, I could mount it either dash or on my back glass? This one?

I have a extra Samsung to use up front now,( still new in the box), The helmet camera I'll wait on.

Mounts are other issues, I don't have a roll bar so I am thinking back glass, using this for the Hero 10 or Up on the dash what would be better? HERE ARE TWO MOUNTS I am thinking about,

I only have one store in my area to even talk to anyone about dash cams, mounts, ETC, I have never bought one before either. So any help and recommendations is appreciated.

I figure I'll spend on a good, but most expensive setup for now, then upgrade down the road, I can put the old unit in my Landcruiser if need be.

I Love tracking the car, so getting better video and pictures would be great.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Okay Tim, tracking Question, Its hard to explain in a comment section, but here it goes' First I did 19 total laps, longest run 8 laps, psi never got higher then 35psi starting out at 28, Trans/rear engine temps were all perfect. The Mistress had no issues, other then the beginner driver, driving her. ( ME) :ROFLMAO:

As I am closing on a curve, going to the inside, braking before the turn,( Never brake as you turn yes? ) as I come out I am hitting the gas, going wide? If I hit the lines correct every time my lap times were decreasing, Example the last turn at Clark (Turn 18) before the 0.5 straight, first few laps i hit it at 60 to 65mph, the last few laps on this day I hit it 70 to 73mph. At 65 top speed on the straight before you must brake going into turn 1, was 138mph, when I hit it at 73/74mph my straight top speed hit 151mph, I think as I get better I can one day hit that last turn at 80mph if I ever do 160mph on that straight is possible?

Other part of that Question, you don't always have to go to the inside, watching some of your track video's you go outside on some turns yes?

I guess practice, practice, practice. I am determined to learn this Road course racing, its fun and a great adrenaline rush ;)

I know it is hard for you to determine anything unless your driving the course, the course is 2.6 miles or 4.1KM here is the track, its has small hills, longest straight is 850 meters, 2788ft from what I was told, so roughly 0.52 miles

Planning another track day Mid Feb. Hopefully I'll have company.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@GT500 The Mistress

I prefer my Hero GoPro cameras over my dash cam as the footage from the dash cam is saved in 1 minute increments that need to be stitched together later. My dash cam footage is a backup option if all the other cameras fail. You can mount the GoPro to the inside of the rear glass shooting forward.

As for corners, most often the correct answer is a “late apex.” As a newbie, get your braking done in a straight line. With experience comes trail braking. I will be covering all of this in my HPDE video series.

• Helpful

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
@GT500 The Mistress

I prefer my Hero GoPro cameras over my dash cam as the footage from the dash cam is saved in 1 minute increments that need to be stitched together later. My dash cam footage is a backup option if all the other cameras fail. You can mount the GoPro to the inside of the rear glass shooting forward.

As for corners, most often the correct answer is a “late apex.” As a newbie, get your braking done in a straight line. With experience comes trail braking. I will be covering all of this in my HPDE video series.
So, the Hero 10, Mount rear glass will cover what I am doing in the car plus seeing the course its self or any driving I do, This two pieces Should be good starting out. I am assuming the GoPro hero is battery operated?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts