Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since MSRP has been set, seems my dealer is asking 33K over it. What a deal...NOT! I feel like i just left prison. How can Ford allow such an astronomical amount be charged over it's MSRP (over 50%). And what is up with the 8-10 thousand per year. Thought this was a limited one year only edition. If that's true, the mark up is total bull.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
milezperhour said:
Since MSRP has been set, seems my dealer is asking 33K over it. What a deal...NOT! I feel like i just left prison. How can Ford allow such an astronomical amount be charged over it's MSRP (over 50%). And what is up with the 8-10 thousand per year. Thought this was a limited one year only edition. If that's true, the mark up is total bull.
Ford cannot tell the dealers what to do.They can only advise them.Each dealership is an independant company.They will only get it if you pay it.They will be making the Shelby in 2008 and 2009.If you wait you will get it cheaper!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
They will be making the Shelby in 2008 and 2009.If you wait you will get it cheaper!
I thought the Shelby was to be just a 2-year production. When was it increased to 3 years? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
The third year was optional(always).It has been negotiated and it is going to happen.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
07 SHELBY said:
The third year was optional(always).It has been negotiated and it is going to happen.
Interesting! Thanks for the news. Not sure I like it, but what are you going to do?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
No problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
First I would like to say thanks to 07Shelby for all the info you pass on to us here.

I am one of the people who decided to play the waiting game to get my Shelby at something close to MSRP. Of course production is one of the key drivers affecting what the dealers can charge us. So, what 07Shelby just said about a 3rd year of production is HUGE. That means another 7k to 9k units will be available eventually. I've even seen on another site some mention of bumping current year production to 10K instead of the official 9k. But a 3rd year of production is much larger news than the possible 1k bump to the 07 model year

Now I know 07Shelby wouldn't say something he didn't believe to be true but if you don't mind 07Shelby, can you state how reliable you think your source is (i.e. something like 80%, 90%,100%) regarding a guaranteed 3rd year of production.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, i know dealers are independant, but since they carry Fords name and reputation, you'd think they put a cap on it. Nonetheless, other confirmations have made wait to a later date to get one. Thanks for the acknowledgement. This way, i won't feel "raped". Talk about giving the average consumer a break!

·
Registered
257 Posts
milezperhour said:
Yea, i know dealers are independant, but since they carry Fords name and reputation, you'd think they put a cap on it. Nonetheless, other confirmations have made wait to a later date to get one. Thanks for the acknowledgement. This way, i won't feel "raped". Talk about giving the average consumer a break!
I have said this in other posts, but I'll say it again because IMHO I think it's worth repeating...The MSRP is just that...It's a SUGGESTED retail price that Ford sets on it's vehicles...But given all the whoopla surrounding Carroll Shelby's blessing and name on a Mustang (The first time in 37 years!), it would seem proper to have some of the ADM $$ go into the Shelby Heart Fund. Everyone has to make a living...within reason...and it makes no sense to me that Shelby wants a donation of $200 to sign my glovebox door, but there are dealers out there wanting nearly triple the MSRP for these cars with zero obligation to make a donation to the Heart Fund...I for one would feel a lot better about paying an ADM (which I am doing) if I knew a portion of this was going to a good cause other than lining a dealers pockets...I would be curious to know if there are any dealers who visit this site who are commited to this philosophy? I'm sure there are buyers other than myself who would buy-in to this...Perhaps these thoughts will someday reach a Ford Exec or Carroll Shelby himself...Just my .02 worth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts