Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooling fan

2007 - 2014 
3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  shelbygt500_897hp 
#1 ·
I have been noticing from time to time with my cooling fan that it will kick on at its regular preset temp (207-208) and go down to 199 where the fan kicks off.

But I have noticed that I can be sitting in traffic, the fan kicks on and my temps keep going down , say o 185 etc. So this happened again today but I was close to home so when I pulled into the garage I quickly popped the hood and sure enough the fan was still on ( hardly ever run the a/c so it was off)

Whats up here ?

#2 ·
You don’t list a Thermostat on your signature, but do you have an aftermarket one? Since you’re below stock 195 set. If stock, maybe it’s stuck open? However, fan should have turned off with a/c off.
As far as the fan, older relays can stick/short. That’s the only way (apart from a wiring short) the fan can run without ECU command. They are easy to open up and check with a screwdriver separating the halves. If you’re not comfortable, swap the hi and low fan relays and see if the high speed sticks now (assuming it was stuck in low speed) using a/c to get the temp higher while parked.
I’m looking into doing some upgrades myself because I’ve read that S197 mustangs in general have a high incidence of cooling fan issues. With the resistor on fan and the fuse box getting corroded.

#3 ·
What are you using to determine engine temperature. Are you using something that monitors the ECT sensor, or do you have an aftermarket gauge sensor? Has anyone modified your fan settings in the tune? What thermostat are you running? Mine runs in the 180-185* range, but I have a 170* thermostat and my fan settings are modified.

#8 ·
John

I've decided to get the CR radiator and have it shipped to VMP

I'll have them install it, by doing so I will get a complete flush of both the intercooler and radiator, and I will have them adjust the radiator fan while I am there

Take care of everything at one time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.