Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a drive thru the other week and I started seeing steam from the front of my car. I had my sct mounted and showing my coolant temps and it was up in the 200's so I turned the car off while I waited for my food and then moved the car to a open parking spot. Once I parked I popped the hood but didn't see any coolant leaking, and decided to drive the car home put keep a eye on the temps. As I drove the temps went down and would climb while stopped in traffic. A day or two later I went out and tried to find the issue after doing a google search and seeing a bunch of post about the relays being bad or the plugs burning going to the fan, or even the resistor on the fan going bad. I did pull 2 codes from the car P00CE (Intake air temperature measurement system - multiple sensor correlation bank 1) and P1602(Immobilizer/ECM communication error) The P1602 I had gotten the past few times I flashed a tune to the car but never checked to see what it was, till this time. (I just reflashed the car after putting a charger on the battery and then a tender as I did the tune and didn't receive the code)

I found out the fans were not cutting on at all once it got up to temperature. So I swapped the relays around with the wiper and rear defrost ones and still didn't work. The plugs for the fan look good, not melted or burnt. Same for the relay plugs, as well as underneath the fuse box. I just used a jump wire on the high speed fan relay and the fan kicked on, but would not kick on when I jumped the low speed one. Also the fans kick on when I turn the AC on as well.

So I'm not sure what my next step should be in trying to figure this issue out. Does it sound like a resistor issue even thought I can jump the fan and it run and it runs with the AC on? Is the low speed fan even suppose to run if you jump the circuit? Could my P1602 code have called the issue, even though the car runs and drives fine after clearing that code? All this came up the same day I decided to drive the car after getting a revision tune and loading it due to me having false knock and the car going into limp mode.(Which gave me the P1602 code after I finished) BTW the car is a 2012

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,535 Posts
Your fan is dead. It just happened to me for the 2nd time:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
How high in the 200's did it get? I had a similar issue on my 2007, it burnt up the relay and fuse box pretty bad. I swapped it to a 13/14 fan but it still had issues because the fuse box contacts were so burnt up. So I also had someone move the wiring from the fuse box to separate switches and fuses. Its possible that years later it will happen and burn up the new fuse box so I didn't change the box and had the wiring moved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How high in the 200's did it get? I had a similar issue on my 2007, it burnt up the relay and fuse box pretty bad. I swapped it to a 13/14 fan but it still had issues because the fuse box contacts were so burnt up. So I also had someone move the wiring from the fuse box to separate switches and fuses. Its possible that years later it will happen and burn up the new fuse box so I didn't change the box and had the wiring moved.
The highest it got was 217. I just got the new fan installed and took it out for a brief drive and the fans kicked in like its suppose to. When I pulled the old fan out the resistor looked like it had burned up on it.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Keep an eye on the fan to make sure you haven't damaged the fuse box contacts. I have an sct 4 programmer I connected when I drove it and watched the temp for the next few weeks. Did your temp gauge go red or move to H?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using my sct connected every time I drive it for the past month or so even before this happened. That's how I knew something was up because the temps were higher than normal. And the temp gauge didn't seem to budge at all.

Keep an eye on the fan to make sure you haven't damaged the fuse box contacts. I have an sct 4 programmer I connected when I drove it and watched the temp for the next few weeks. Did your temp gauge go red or move to H?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts