Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change the engine and intercooler coolant in my 2010 in the next few weeks Just checked my owners manual for the correct coolant and the Shelby supplement calls for Ford gold, but also says check what the sticker on the coolant tank says. Popped the hood and the intercooler shows gold (it's definitely yellow colored in the tank). The sticker on the engine tank is missing but the coolant in there looks orange (my 2012 GT was orange, this looks the same). I know the 2010 is considered the "bastard" year but I think it's weird that Ford would actually use two different coolants? I figured the 2010 with the iron block would use Ford gold. Can any 2010 owners confirm?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
They didn’t, someone used the wrong coolant.

Your 2010 uses FORD GOLD in both Cooling Systems, Rad and IC.

Ford changed to the Pink Coolant in 11 due to the All-Aluminum Engine.

Use Ford Gold and distilled water.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
I'm getting ready to change the engine and intercooler coolant in my 2010 in the next few weeks Just checked my owners manual for the correct coolant and the Shelby supplement calls for Ford gold, but also says check what the sticker on the coolant tank says. Popped the hood and the intercooler shows gold (it's definitely yellow colored in the tank). The sticker on the engine tank is missing but the coolant in there looks orange (my 2012 GT was orange, this looks the same). I know the 2010 is considered the "bastard" year but I think it's weird that Ford would actually use two different coolants? I figured the 2010 with the iron block would use Ford gold. Can any 2010 owners confirm?
Your 2010 calls for gold, which looks yellow. Orange is for the aluminum blocks.

Edit: JTB and I were typing at the same time... gold = yellow and orange = pink.

Reactions: Norton

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.That's what I figured. I'll drain it out and refill with Ford gold. Not a huge deal to do, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,682 Posts
Thanks guys.That's what I figured. I'll drain it out and refill with Ford gold. Not a huge deal to do, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Recommend flushing well between your drain and fill, since mixing coolants is usually not a good idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recommend flushing well between your drain and fill, since mixing coolants is usually not a good idea.
Yep. I’m going to drain completely then fill with distilled water and run the car up to temp. Then drain the water and fill wit a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Ford gold coolant.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Yep. I’m going to drain completely then fill with distilled water and run the car up to temp. Then drain the water and fill wit a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Ford gold coolant.
I do the same thing when changing coolant out. A couple of tips... depending on how long the coolant has been in the vehicle, it might be worth it to do a flush. I pour a bottle of this in the system and run it for a few days before draining:

Also worth mentioning... depending on the vehicle and system (engine vs. intercooler), quite a bit of fluid might be trapped in the system. I’ve read that upwards of a gallon can be trapped in the engine block. When you do the straight distilled fill/run/drain and subsequently fill with a 50/50 mix, this can leave the end ratio less than 50/50. You can either test your fluid or simply do as I do and pour extra straight coolant into the system in addition to the 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do the same thing when changing coolant out. A couple of tips... depending on how long the coolant has been in the vehicle, it might be worth it to do a flush. I pour a bottle of this in the system and run it for a few days before draining:

View attachment 197964

Also worth mentioning... depending on the vehicle and system (engine vs. intercooler), quite a bit of fluid might be trapped in the system. I’ve read that upwards of a gallon can be trapped in the engine block. When you do the straight distilled fill/run/drain and subsequently fill with a 50/50 mix, this can leave the end ratio less than 50/50. You can either test your fluid or simply do as I do and pour extra straight coolant into the system in addition to the 50/50 mix.

View attachment 197964

The orange coolant in there looks good, no discoloration at all. I was going to try pulling the plugs from the engine block if they’re accessible. If not I’ll probably do as you suggested and just add some straight coolant and test for a 50/50 mix. If it’s a little lower than 50 it’s not a huge deal as it’s not my daily and I only drive it on nice days during the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts