Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just openned the hood on my baby and found a WHITE residue on the rocker cover and down on the wiring harness. Don't have a rad pressure tester to find out where it is coming from but I have a feeling it is from one of the two rad hoses coming in to the housing. I thought they had fixed this problem back in July when it first started showing up. Has anyone had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it?? Let me know Thanks Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep. Mine had a leak that was attributed to the "C" spring clamps on the hoses at the top left (behind the coolant reservoir). The SVT techs told me this was a known issue and that they personally did not like those clamps. They replaced them with stainless steel "worm gear" clamps (pressure tested system) and all is well now.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yep. Mine had a leak that was attributed to the "C" spring clamps on the hoses at the top left (behind the coolant reservoir). The SVT techs told me this was a known issue and that they personally did not like those clamps. They replaced them with stainless steel "worm gear" clamps (pressure tested system) and all is well now.
Welcome to the radiator hose clamp leak crowd. This was mentioned in prevous posts under Shelby Issues on 9/28.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, do a search for "Shelby issues".

·
Premium Member
11,031 Posts
Just openned the hood on my baby and found a WHITE residue on the rocker cover and down on the wiring harness. Don't have a rad pressure tester to find out where it is coming from but I have a feeling it is from one of the two rad hoses coming in to the housing. I thought they had fixed this problem back in July when it first started showing up. Has anyone had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it?? Let me know Thanks Jim
They overfilled mine at an oil change and I dyno'd it without knowing it!! I had white s*&t EVERYWHERE. Took 3 hours to clean all that corrosive crap off my car!!! Not sure I got it all, but I'm NOT pressure spraying that engine compartment.

bj

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the test drive of my '08 coupe, I returned to the dealership, shut her down and steam was coming out around the hood vents. Turned out to be the bypass hose clamps leaking. The dealership put worm clamps on and no problem. Thay are supposed to get a pair of the stock clamps for me......I am kind of anal especially on this car....

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
On the test drive of my '08 coupe, I returned to the dealership, shut her down and steam was coming out around the hood vents. Turned out to be the bypass hose clamps leaking. The dealership put worm clamps on and no problem. Thay are supposed to get a pair of the stock clamps for me......I am kind of anal especially on this car....

That's ok,welcome to a whole site of anal people.:D It doesn't sound right but you get the message;)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've not had this problem of coolant leak. Is it worthwhile to replace the hose clamps just to prevent the potential problem? Under what conditions does the leak happen?

BTW- has anyone swapped out the thermostat?

TD

·
Registered
20 Posts
When it happend to me I had driven the car out of the showroom(Wished I had the camcorder for that) Went up the street, topped the tank and went for a little (maybe 8 miles) highway trip and then back to the dealership. Maybe 20 miles total in 40 degree weather. I noticed a little steam coming from under the hood and popped it to check it out. It was so small of a leak(none the less a leak) I probably could have tweaked the clamps and it would have stopped. But Brand new is brand new....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When it happend to me I had driven the car out of the showroom(Wished I had the camcorder for that) Went up the street, topped the tank and went for a little (maybe 8 miles) highway trip and then back to the dealership. Maybe 20 miles total in 40 degree weather. I noticed a little steam coming from under the hood and popped it to check it out. It was so small of a leak(none the less a leak) I probably could have tweaked the clamps and it would have stopped. But Brand new is brand new....
Yes brand new is brand new but like many of us with just snapping the clamps will reseat them. Be thankfull it wasn't like some who had it leak all under the hood then try and clean up the mess. Take care M'nut

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have had leaks! but I don't want to take it in to dealer cause I am affraid they might void me!
JJ

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the leak right away also. It leaked on the way home from dealer. I usd a wormgear clamp one at a time until i figured out which one was leaking. Then i took it to the dealer and had a factory clamp replaced. Have not had the problem since.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I'm glad I found this topic...
I have a boring little story to tell...

So I am all geeked up last Saturday as we picked up our new Shelby from the dealership. My wife and I drove the car around for several hours and when I got home I was looking everything over, didn't notice any issues. My local SVT club was having our spring car show on Sunday, I washed the car by hand and made sure it was all pretty.
I get to the show and pop the hood, I'm doing some last minute detailing and I notice this whitish residue is all over the cam cover and down on the a-arm. I couldn't see any obvious leaks, it appeared "dry" and I thought I must have perhaps got some soapy water thru the hood vent or something. So I cleaned it all up on the spot.
Took the car back home and parked it, didn't look under the hood.

Yesterday a buddy of mine that lives in another town called, he wanted me to bring the Shelby over so he could check it out. So I head up there. So he wants to see the motor of course. I pop the hood, and lo and behold that white residue is back, but this time I can clearly see it's some kind of leak. My heart just about stopped. He says "Well relax man, it's under warranty..."
Yea, well.. last thing I want to do is take it in for warranty service. You envision the dealership employees salivating. (I worked at a dealership in the Service Department while in college, I saw things that the techs did with "fast" customer cars that would make you puke)
We looked closely, and it looked like the leak was coming from the area by the t-stat housing. After removing the screws for the overflow tank and lifting it up, it was clear that the hose was leaking there at the clamp. I guess I was both relieved and upset at the same time; you figure you drop a big chunk of change on a car and things like this shouldn't happen. (I'm reasonable and realize shit happens)
I figured if I Googled this issue I'd find info and sure enough I did. I joined this forum as a result.
I'm glad that hose didn't blow off or get my new engine all filthy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm glad I found this topic...
I have a boring little story to tell...

So I am all geeked up last Saturday as we picked up our new Shelby from the dealership. My wife and I drove the car around for several hours and when I got home I was looking everything over, didn't notice any issues. My local SVT club was having our spring car show on Sunday, I washed the car by hand and made sure it was all pretty.
I get to the show and pop the hood, I'm doing some last minute detailing and I notice this whitish residue is all over the cam cover and down on the a-arm. I couldn't see any obvious leaks, it appeared "dry" and I thought I must have perhaps got some soapy water thru the hood vent or something. So I cleaned it all up on the spot.
Took the car back home and parked it, didn't look under the hood.

Yesterday a buddy of mine that lives in another town called, he wanted me to bring the Shelby over so he could check it out. So I head up there. So he wants to see the motor of course. I pop the hood, and lo and behold that white residue is back, but this time I can clearly see it's some kind of leak. My heart just about stopped. He says "Well relax man, it's under warranty..."
Yea, well.. last thing I want to do is take it in for warranty service. You envision the dealership employees salivating. (I worked at a dealership in the Service Department while in college, I saw things that the techs did with "fast" customer cars that would make you puke)
We looked closely, and it looked like the leak was coming from the area by the t-stat housing. After removing the screws for the overflow tank and lifting it up, it was clear that the hose was leaking there at the clamp. I guess I was both relieved and upset at the same time; you figure you drop a big chunk of change on a car and things like this shouldn't happen. (I'm reasonable and realize shit happens)
I figured if I Googled this issue I'd find info and sure enough I did. I joined this forum as a result.
I'm glad that hose didn't blow off or get my new engine all filthy.

Welcome, this is the right place for you! Any time I have had questions, they have been answered here!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Welcome, this is the right place for you! Any time I have had questions, they have been answered here!
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! :pimp:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Just to follow up on this, it turned out to be the clamps for the hoses that go to the t-stat housing. Got everything all detailed up nice and went for a 120 mile ride today and all seems well now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Broken/cracked factory clamps are not uncommon. I'm thinking of just replacing them all before I have any problems. The mess, or worse, coolant leaks can cause are not good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts