Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found coolant behind throttle body and down by pass -waste gate hole. the waste gate bypass solenoid was un hooked had a 1227 code and found liquid behind throttle body is inter cooler leaking or heads?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
It's normal to have a little oil behind the TB blades do you have any pics? Are you sure its coolant?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was quite bit had enuf to pour into little jar I have orange coolant in the intercooler reservoir and yellow in the radiator reservoir and it looks yellow question is how does it get to top from bottom The engine was rebuilt at ford dealer because of valve stuck in piston not good! any way when I got it from dealer the engine would almost die when shifting then come back up to idle speed had to retune 3 different times before it was drivable but now the by pass came off and showed closed waste gate did a seal blow or leak oil level is normal in supercharger

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,673 Posts
I found coolant behind throttle body and down by pass -waste gate hole. the waste gate bypass solenoid was un hooked had a 1227 code and found liquid behind throttle body is inter cooler leaking or heads?
It was quite bit had enuf to pour into little jar I have orange coolant in the intercooler reservoir and yellow in the radiator reservoir and it looks yellow question is how does it get to top from bottom The engine was rebuilt at ford dealer because of valve stuck in piston not good! any way when I got it from dealer the engine would almost die when shifting then come back up to idle speed had to retune 3 different times before it was drivable but now the by pass came off and showed closed waste gate did a seal blow or leak oil level is normal in supercharger
First off, welcome to the forum!

Sorry you are having issues. Use the 1st or 4th icon in your reply window to post pictures of what you are talking about. It will help us help you.

I have never seen coolant up by the throttle body. I have seen cracked intercoolers cause coolant to pool in the valley though.

You’ll find our new member area here:

New Member Introductions

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
I'd suspect the intercooler. There is a scavenger system that pulls oil from the bottom of the intake and comes out the vacuum tube on the rear of the supercharger. It will suck coolant from the bottom of the intake the same way. The intercooler could have cracked or the o-rings on the cross over tubes between the intercooler and the front coolant adapter are leaking. If it were engine coolant, you'd certainly see evidence of it in the oil. If the dipstick looks like it was dipped in a chocolate milkshake, there is engine coolant in the crankcase. Have you noticed a change in either reservoir level?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd suspect the intercooler. There is a scavenger system that pulls oil from the bottom of the intake and comes out the vacuum tube on the rear of the supercharger. It will suck coolant from the bottom of the intake the same way. The intercooler could have cracked or the o-rings on the cross over tubes between the intercooler and the front coolant adapter are leaking. If it were engine coolant, you'd certainly see evidence of it in the oil. If the dipstick looks like it was dipped in a chocolate milkshake, there is engine coolant in the crankcase. Have you noticed a change in either reservoir level?
No water in the oil I think I found it right after it happened. when I started it it had a higher than normal idle than it slowed down that's when it coded 1227 so I took throttle body off all liquid levels were normal but maybe radiator overflow tank was down little. the thing is I have 2 colors of anti freeze so I m pretty sure its coming from head side

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,673 Posts
I see posts every year on both the Terminator side as well as the GT500 side where people were running straight water in their intercooler system only to have it freeze and crack during the winter. Not sure if this is your case or not. Pictures would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see posts every year on both the Terminator side as well as the GT500 side where people were running straight water in their intercooler system only to have it freeze and crack during the winter. Not sure if this is your case or not. Pictures would help.
Im not too up on computers I'm trying to figure out how to send photo. I live in Yuma Az I have to break down and ask wife to help me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No water in the oil I think I found it right after it happened. when I started it it had a higher than normal idle than it slowed down that's when it coded 1227 so I took throttle body off all liquid levels were normal but maybe radiator overflow tank was down little. the thing is I have 2 colors of anti freeze so I m pretty sure its coming from head side
IMG_2447.JPG

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,673 Posts
I would not run that engine until you sort this out. That is definitely coolant. Has your intercooler reservoir level gotten lower (vs. engine coolant reservoir)?

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
It has to be from engine coolant but where is the coolant at under blower from the heads or manifold
There's no way for engine coolant to get into the intake, unless it was contaminated with oil. I think your intercooler is cracked, or the tubes connecting the intercooler to the front adapter are leaking. If your intercooler pump is not cycling, the system can get hot enough to build pressure and push water past the o-rings on the tubes. That's a lot of coolant. I'd follow Tim's suggestion and don't drive it until you figure this out. Your lower intake could have a lot of coolant at the bottom. You don't want to hydrolock a cylinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found the problem the O rings the Ford mechs used were too small or the old ones but they didn't seal the tubes to the intercooler and it would spray coolant to the rear Great!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,673 Posts
Found the problem the O rings the Ford mechs used were too small or the old ones but they didn't seal the tubes to the intercooler and it would spray coolant to the rear Great!
Thanks for letting us know how this ended. We don’t always hear the solution. Thanks! (y)

I am assuming you got new O-rings and all is well now...?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not yet they been waiting for new o rings 2 weeks !! I'm not crying yet because they re paying for the repair but its about time to push it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts