Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone with convertibles please call this Ford customer care phone number ASAP and complain about our bad designed tops which are leaving wear marks and eventually holes in our tops in a short amount of time. Tell them you want ford to come up with a perment fix for this issue so you dont have to replace the top every 1-2 years.

The only way we can get ford to permently fix this issue is in the power of numbers. So if you want a resolve to this issue and get a TSB created, you need to call this number ASAP and complain nicely and also spread the word if you can to other GT500 websites.

800-392-3673

Have VIN# ready.

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Everyone with convertibles please call this Ford customer care phone number ASAP and complain about our bad designed tops which are leaving wear marks and eventually holes in our tops in a short amount of time. Tell them you want ford to come up with a perment fix for this issue so you dont have to replace the top every 1-2 years.

The only way we can get ford to permently fix this issue is in the power of numbers. So if you want a resolve to this issue and get a TSB created, you need to call this number ASAP and complain nicely and also spread the word if you can to other GT500 websites.

800-392-3673

Have VIN# ready.

Thanks.
I was told by my dealer this morning that he couldn't order me a vert at this time ...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had my vert over 2 years now, I've put at least 17,000 miles on it with the top down. Driving it with the top down is when you get the wear patterns. Yes, I have them. Every other vert with a canvas tops I've ever seen has them also including Benz’s and BMWs. This is the first car I've ever owned much less a vert. I expected to replace the top every so often. If the wear pattern continues it looks like it will take 20 years or so for any holes to form. That's about 10 years less then I expected.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Mine already have pin size holes started. I just don't want to leave it with a sub-contracted business until I know more about them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't have a Vert, but I am aware of this TSB. does anyone know it this window problem affects the top ?

CONVERTIBLE—REAR QUARTER GLASS— TSB 08-17-3
TORN/SEPARATING QUARTER GLASS DIVISION BAR
FORD:
2005-2009 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2005-2009 Mustang convertible vehicles may
exhibit a torn / separating quarter glass division bar
due to misalignment between the front door window
glass and the rear quarter window glass. Concern
may be duplicated with convertible top down,
quarter glass down and front door glass up. When
the rear glass is raised, it may catch on the front
door glass creating a scissor effect over time. The
windows need to be aligned to each other and the
convertible top, as a glass system.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the
condition. Figure 1 - Article 08-17-3
SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE
FIX REQUIRES QUARTER GLASS
REPLACEMENT AND FRONT DOOR GLASS
ADJUSTMENT. THE DIVISION BAR IS BONDED
TO THE QUARTER GLASS AND CANNOT BE
REMOVED WITHOUT BREAKING THE GLASS. IT
IS NOT SERVICED SEPARATELY.
1. Replace the quarter glass assembly, the seal is
not serviced separately. Refer to Workshop
Manual (WSM), Section 501-11.
2. With the convertible top closed, remove the
rear side rail weather strip and close the rear Figure 2 - Article 08-17-3
quarter glass window. Adjust the quarter glass 3. Adjust quarter glass so that a constant
so that a 5/32² - 3/16² (4-5 mm) gap exists 5/32²-1/4² (4-6 mm) gap exists between the
between the glass and the convertible top division bar and the door glass. Also, adjust so
weatherstrip retainer. Use the quarter glass jack that the glass is inset 5/32² - 1/4² (4-6 mm)
screws to adjust inboard / outboard. Loosen inside the weatherstrip retainer. Apply tape to
nut. Use a 4 mm hex drive to wind the jack top exterior side of quarter glass. Mark a 5/32²
screw as needed. Tighten nuts. (Figures 1 and - 1/4² (4-6 mm) line on the tape as a visual aid
2) in adjusting the glass inset to weatherstrip
retainer. Use quarter glass attaching screws to
adjust the glass. Loosen both screws and move
the glass in plane as needed. (Figures 3 - 5)
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation
determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin
(TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is
available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2008 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date August 18, 2008 PAGE 1
TSB 08-17-3 (Continued)
5. Adjust the door glass so that the door glass is
flush to the quarter glass division bar or
outboard of the division bar by no more than
1/16² (2 mm). (Figure 6). Use the door glass
window regulator jack screw to adjust glass
outboard. Remove the round reflector located at
the bottom of the door trim panel. Turning the
jack screw clockwise tips the glass outboard,
counterclockwise tips the glass inward. If
additional adjustment is needed, then remove
trim panel and use glass clamps. Refer to
WSM, Section 501-11.
Figure 3 - Article 08-17-3
Figure 6 - Article 08-17-3
NOTE
Figure 4 - Article 08-17-3 MISALIGNED DOOR GLASS WILL BOUNCE BACK
DURING OPERATION IF IT CONTACTS THE
INBOARD SIDE OF THE UPPER CONVERTIBLE
SEAL RETAINER. CONCERN MAY BE
DUPLICATED WITH TOP UP AND REAR
WINDOWS DOWN. DOOR GLASS MUST BE
ALIGNED TO BOTH THE CONVERTIBLE TOP
AND QUARTER GLASS DIVISION BAR.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
AR3Z-7629710-A Quarter Glass - RH
AR3Z-7629711-A Quarter Glass - LH
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Coverage
Figure 5 - Article 08-17-3 IMPORTANT: Warranty
4. Tighten screws and install the rear side rail coverage limits/policies are
weatherstrip. not altered by a TSB.
Warranty coverage limits
are determined by the
identified causal part.
PAGE 2
TSB 08-17-3 (Continued)
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 081703D 2005-2009 Mustang 2.6 Hrs.
081703A 2005-2009 Mustang 0.7 Hr. Convertible: Replace Both
Convertible: Replace One Rear Quarter Glass And
Rear Quarter Glass And Adjust, Additional
Adjust. (Do Not Use With Adjustment Is Needed
29710A) Remove Both Interior Door
081703B 2005-2009 Mustang 1.3 Hrs. Trim Panels. (Do Not Use
Convertible: Replace Both With 23943A, 23943A13,
Rear Quarter Glass And 29710A)
Adjust. (Do Not Use With DEALER CODING
29710A) CONDITION
081703C 2005-2009 Mustang 1.4 Hrs. BASIC PART NO. CODE
Convertible: Replace One 7629710 07
Rear Quarter Glass And
Adjust, Additional
Adjustment Is Needed
Remove Interior Door Trim
Panel. (Do Not Use With
23943A, 23943A13,
29710A)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my vert over 2 years now, I've put at least 17,000 miles on it with the top down. Driving it with the top down is when you get the wear patterns. Yes, I have them. Every other vert with a canvas tops I've ever seen has them also including Benz’s and BMWs. This is the first car I've ever owned much less a vert. I expected to replace the top every so often. If the wear pattern continues it looks like it will take 20 years or so for any holes to form. That's about 10 years less then I expected.
This is not general vert wear. this is a defect in the design of the top that causes pinching. See attatched pics these are early signs.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
This is not general vert wear. this is a defect in the design of the top that causes pinching. See attatched pics these are early signs.
That is exactly where mine is wearing. The wear spots on mine or a lot larger 2 spots about the size of your hand on each side. Mine doesn't look like it has discolored any or very little if any. I think you will find this kind of wear normal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That is exactly where mine is wearing. The wear spots on mine or a lot larger 2 spots about the size of your hand on each side. Mine doesn't look like it has discolored any or very little if any. I think you will find this kind of wear normal.
+1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are 2 other TSB's out on this. For some reason I can not post the PDF file on this site.

Here is the link to the PDF files on TS.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46454&view=findpost&p=769615
Thanks Grabber thats quite interesting! One admits and decribes the problem perfectly and the other justs says if theres a problem with the top(not specific) a new top assembly is now available.

Now the million dollar question for me is there anyone with a 2009 vert that has these issues?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks Grabber thats quite interesting! One admits and decribes the problem perfectly and the other justs says if theres a problem with the top(not specific) a new top assembly is now available.

Now the million dollar question for me is there anyone with a 2009 vert that has these issues?
Yes and that other one covers the 2008 as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes and that other one covers the 2008 as well.
Well I just came from the ford dealer and looked at a 2009 and the top is no different from my 2008. The 2009 on the show room floor alreading is starting to show the marks with 25 miles on it. I do noticed they added a piece of padding for 2008 tops and up to try and resolve the issue but is doing absolutely no good.

So both of those tsb's no longer apply.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well I just came from the ford dealer and looked at a 2009 and the top is no different from my 2008. The 2009 on the show room floor alreading is starting to show the marks with 25 miles on it. I do noticed they added a piece of padding for 2008 tops and up to try and resolve the issue but is doing absolutely no good.

So both of those tsb's no longer apply
They are still valid TSB's.

IYO they are not working....but they are still valid until engineering pulls them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are still valid TSB's.

IYO they are not working....but they are still valid until engineering pulls them.
ok... what i am saying is that the 1st one doesnt apply to 2008 and up because they have that ATTEMTED fix on them already and the 2nd one just allows the dealer to order seperate parts now for the top and my dealer said that there is currently no permenent fix for this problem and putting on a new top would just cause it to happen again imediately. He said also Ford will not even allow a new top to be put on unless the wear marks had holes.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
So we have to make use of the convertibles while they're still on warranty huh? And after that we might have to fold and crease the tops into their proper position as they go down (like I always had to do on my 64 Plymouth).
You would think that for this kind of money blah, blah blah blah......

One of these days I'm going to have a perfect car. I'll try to dream of it when I finally get to sleep tonight....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So we have to make use of the convertibles while they're still on warranty huh? And after that we might have to fold and crease the tops into their proper position as they go down (like I always had to do on my 64 Plymouth).
You would think that for this kind of money blah, blah blah blah......

One of these days I'm going to have a perfect car. I'll try to dream of it when I finally get to sleep tonight....

That sums it up. Ford SCREWS us.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Any thoughts on whether this is made worse by leaving the top down while garaged? I have been bad about doing this since I am lazy about removing and replacing the cover. Is it more of a rubbing due to vibration while driving with top in down position? Or is the constant pinching of the top being folded causing the issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any thoughts on whether this is made worse by leaving the top down while garaged? I have been bad about doing this since I am lazy about removing and replacing the cover. Is it more of a rubbing due to vibration while driving with top in down position? Or is the constant pinching of the top being folded causing the issue?
Its more of a rubbing due to vibration while driving with top in down position. Sitting in your garage with the top down wont cause it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts