Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and found nada. Is heat a problem for paint or do the vents take care of that? Aftermarket hoods do not have them. Let me hear from you that have removed the liner. Thanks!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,076 Posts
This was a big source of discussion amoung the Terminator sites a couple of years ago. Some removed it and said they had no issues; however, the consensus was to leave it on due to heat effects and such. Ford and other manufacturers have good reason for installing it, so my advise would be to leave it there. Also my bet is the 5.4 generates more heat than the 4.6

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ford is so cheap, if it wasn't necessary, they wouldn't spend the money to put in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out this underhood painting. Looks good IMO, and no lining... (add http in front of the below address - I'm not allowed to put links right now...)
musclecarnews.tenmagazines.com/articles.asp?page=tenarticle&aid=3702

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by my SVT dealer today that the liner is for sound insulation only and there would be no damage to the paint on the hood from not having the hood blanket or liner in place. The heat from the SC does not affect the surface paint on the hood, so I was told. I took mine off because my C&L filter was crushing a corner of the hood liner and it already looked dirty(Oklahoma red dust). So we shall see, if paint does get baked then we are going to order a SS hood.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Question: On the '11's there is a wire that goes under the liner. Anyone know what that is? must be some sort of sensor or something. It can't lead to anywhere.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
- Less sound dampening, which is a plus for those who prefer a louder SC whine.

- Serves as an insulator, however, I have not read of a single person who has reported paint and/or stripe damage upon its removal.

- In the event of an engine bay fire, the fasteners are designed to release the hood liner/blanket to aid in smothering the fire. Specifically, the fasteners are plastic and will melt under excessive heat, whereas the hood blanket is fire retardant. This enables the blanket to simply fall onto the engine...

... so, a hood blanket does serve a purpose, however, insignificant... unless you experience a fire under your hood.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Mr Steel-Town is correct. An important purpose if the hood liner is to act as a fire blanket. Years ago as a kid I remember my dad and uncles calling it a hood blanket.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
A guy in my Mustang club removed the hood blanket from his 08 GT and had a pony painted under there. Personally, with all the appearance mods this guy did, I think the car looks gay. And the painted pony, there is something a bit off about it....like the legs aren't in proportion with the body...looks really gay, to me. I say keep the insulation on hahahaha

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Elvis indeed does live. And drives a GT500. And... Thinks Melissa is very cool, especially for calling people gay who paint ponies on their cars...:rofl:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Elvis indeed does live. And drives a GT500. And... Thinks Melissa is very cool, especially for calling people gay who paint ponies on their cars...:rofl:
Kim Morrison is also alive. He drives a black GT500 with "LZD KING" license plates. I heard he races up in Washington state.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oops, Kim = Jim, sausage fingered the Droid phone. Sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts