Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey what do you guys know about a CHIP to put in these? I have a buddy that has some information on it. but was wondering what you guys knew. From what i hear it gives it close to 100 more horsepower.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I don't think you need a new chip.This is an Oak and is highly programmable.If there are other chips I am not aware of it.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
There is no reason to purchase a piggy back computer chip and you for sure do not want to remove and replace the factory computer. What you want is a Programmer that can Flash your factory with different settings. Also you want to make sure (VERY VERY IMPORTANT) that the flasher downloads the factory map and saves it so if you have a warranty issue you can put it back to stock so when the dealer plugs his tools in he does not see that you have increased timing, fuel ratio's etc. Start by looking at PREDATOR Programmer very popluar. Deal with companies that specialize in Mustangs like Steeda for example. This is how it works. Company X will get their hands on a GT500 and they will play around with the computer changeing settings and than testing their change using a dyno. Once they have the map that works the best normally they include it with the programmer. As you add mods the programmer will allow you to change setting according to what you have just changed. If you put the programmer in manual mode than you can change everything and 9 times out of 10 WILL SCREW UP THE WAY THE CAR RUNS. Unless you have a dyno and know exactly what you are doing stay out of that mode or take it to a speed shop that does know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had Diablo tune early in my '05 Vortec intercooled Roush. When we went to SCT custom tune, it added 90 HP. SCT is the best I have seen. Good Luck with whatever
you choose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one of my really good friends owns 2 ford dealerships in Florida and he's telling me that the some, not all, dealerships are authorized to install this chip and it doesnt screw witht the warranty. he's telling me that it just kinda removes the governer where the cars top speed is like 157 or 158 and gives it 75 to 100 more horses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Somewhere in the forum here I believe someone posted the speed limits were set on the car because the tires are only rated at 150 mph. Anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Barcelona said:
Somewhere in the forum here I believe someone posted the speed limits were set on the car because the tires are only rated at 150 mph. Anyone confirm?
A Ford guy at the Denver Auto Show told me the coupe is limited to 155 mph and the the vert is 135.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Z Rated tires are good for 300 KMH / 200 MPH so the tires are not the limiting factor. Sanity maybe, but not the tires.

Sofa King

1 - 9 of 9 Posts