Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a few weeks since this was done but had a nice day to be able to pull it out, take some pics, and put it to bed until spring. Took full 7 business days to complete. I've never had PPF before so it's all new to me used the forums for research but I like how it turned out. Since I have a color that magnifies everything, I did a full PPF, ceramic, and tint. PPF is hand cut and wrapped everywhere possible. They also put an extra strip/patch behind the doors to the fender that can be removed without having to do the full quarter panel. They recommended this as it's an area on GT500's that PPF gets abused with lots of debris and it makes replacing that PPF area easy and less expensive which they've replaced and why they recommended it. You do see the line closeup but looks well done with the styling (2nd picture zoomed in I think u can see the line into the fender where it ends) - to me it's not noticeable further back.

What was done, products used, and my tint percentages:
New car paint correction
XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra with EXO V4 including windows (9 year guarantee)
Gtechniq Wheel and Caliper Coating
Llumar Films Ceramic window tint (35% sides and back, front window is 70%)

PPF on the vinyl strips - Based on my research here, I know this is a top of discussion and opinions around the space/air pocket over the strips. They did ask me prior what I wanted to do and provided guidance for either (pro / con), what others have done, etc. I choose to go completely over them and provided a closeup pic for others if they haven't made up their mind on that. Close up I do see the gap but at a distance of a few feet I don't and I'm okay with it. I will provide updates if it does bother me over time, if I change it, or issues arise from doing it this way. Hopefully it will help others.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Grille Plant Hood Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Attachments

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,429 Posts
It's been a few weeks since this was done but had a nice day to be able to pull it out, take some pics, and put it to bed until spring. Took full 7 business days to complete. I've never had PPF before so it's all new to me used the forums for research but I like how it turned out. Since I have a color that magnifies everything, I did a full PPF, ceramic, and tint. PPF is hand cut and wrapped everywhere possible. They also put an extra strip/patch behind the doors to the fender that can be removed without having to do the full quarter panel. They recommended this as it's an area on GT500's that PPF gets abused with lots of debris and it makes replacing that PPF area easy and less expensive which they've replaced and why they recommended it. You do see the line closeup but looks well done with the styling (2nd picture zoomed in I think u can see the line into the fender where it ends) - to me it's not noticeable further back.

New car paint correction
XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF

PPF on the vinyl strips - Based on my research here, I know this is a top of discussion and opinions around the space/air pocket over the strips. They did ask me prior what I wanted to do and provided guidance for either (pro / con), what others have done, etc. I choose to go completely over them and provided a closeup pic for others if they haven't made up their mind on that. Close up I do see the gap but at a distance of a few feet I don't and I'm okay with it. I will provide updates if it does bother me over time, if I change it, or issues arise from doing it this way. Hopefully it will help others.

View attachment 228782

View attachment 228783

View attachment 228784

View attachment 228785

View attachment 228786

View attachment 228787

View attachment 228788

View attachment 228789

View attachment 228792
Looks FANTASTIC! 🤟

Reactions: Kagey

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500, Carbonized Gray w/Black Stripes, CFTP.
63 Posts
Looks great! Mine is having the same treatment done now. I pick it up next Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
6,056 Posts
Gorgeous, Kevin!!! You did it right -- the brands you used for PPF and ceramic -- gooood stuff! I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on my previous car and it was like "butta". ;)

On my 2021, I have PPF down low as you describe. I also use the JLT rock blockers and the Jaeger Brothers front flaps to further protect the whole side of the car. With it, the area behind the front wheels below the stipes just gets blasted by the pebbles getting throw up by the tires.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 base ordered 12/9/2021
21 Posts
Gorgeous, Kevin!!! You did it right -- the brands you used for PPF and ceramic -- gooood stuff! I had Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on my previous car and it was like "butta". ;)

On my 2021, I have PPF down low as you describe. I also use the JLT rock blockers and the Jaeger Brothers front flaps to further protect the whole side of the car. With it, the area behind the front wheels below the stipes just gets blasted by the pebbles getting throw up by the tires.

New car paint correction
XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF

View attachment 228782

View attachment 228783

View attachment 228784

View attachment 228785

View attachment 228786

View attachment 228787

View attachment 228788

View attachment 228789
your car looks amazing! Are your white over the top stripes from the factory - and what is your opinion of the job they did.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks! I got both put the rock blockers in and will put the front flaps on in spring.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your car looks amazing! Are your white over the top stripes from the factory - and what is your opinion of the job they did.
I think they did a very good job but it's my first PPF so I only know what I know. I can say the tint looks awesome which I was iffy on especially on the front windshield. Yesterday was a nice sunny day which is why I took it out to wipe it and take some pics. Also if I have any issues they will fix it as they guarantee no issues. It also wasn't cheap 10k for everything which seemed reasonable to me for the areas around here and the other quotes.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2020 GT500
794 Posts
Looking good! Same treatment as mine. Gotta love the GTechniq products, really good stuff!

Your shop is 100% correct about the strip behind the doors - I'm having the driver side redone as the film already has a nick / rock chip in it. Finally getting the wheels and calipers coated also.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking good! Same treatment as mine. Gotta love the GTechniq products, really good stuff!

Your shop is 100% correct about the strip behind the doors - I'm having the driver side redone as the film already has a nick / rock chip in it. Finally getting the wheels and calipers coated also.
Thanks! I thought it was a good idea.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you and cost was in thread above for total. 10k for everything I had done. 8k for PPF, remaining for other stuff. Was competitive for this area based on what I did.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Black
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Eric. One of the downsides of dark colors like shadow black are people shy away from them as they show everything like all the dust. I see the dust after 1 day sitting in the garage. I am super pleased with the PPF, Tint job done. First vehicle with PPF so I'm cautious and still don't know what I can / can't do especially with like quick detailers. I run the cali-duster over it but only pulls dust off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts