Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
Absolutely. I’ll be getting Suntek on the entire front end and mirrors for sure. Might get the black roof, wing, and black panel between the tail lights done.
Suntek -- awesome stuff. (y) I was thoroughly pleased with it when I had my GT500.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Congrats Eric!! 'm surprised your Chassis number is so low, mine is KR785. I picked up my car on 9/7 and now have 1032, I decided to change the oil before I put it away for the winter. I was reading the oil article on https://thesoundofvoodoo.com/articles/2020-gt500-review-how-it-compares-to-the-gt350/ and they said:

"We have performed oil analysis on three Voodoos during their first oil change at 1,000 miles and the results were all the same. Your initial factory fill has 3 times the contaminants as subsequent oil changes. So at 1,000 miles our oil was actually more like 3,000 miles due to all of the break-in wear in the oil. It is not uncommon to find visible metallic and blue threadlocker participles in your oil during your first oil change. What’s the reason we change our oil at 1,000 miles? Ford states that break-in of the GT350 is complete by 1,000 miles."

Today was really cold, 42 degrees so I put it in Slippery Mode and I drove the car for about 15 minutes. I used to just let it idle and warm it up but after I sent my 1st sample to Oil Analyzers they asked me if I just let it warm up and not drive it before I changed the oil. I asked them how they knew and they said they could tell in the sample. That was the last time I did that.

I can't believe the difference between my 07 GT500 and 19GT350R. After driving the R I needed to swap garages. The GT500 was parked in the one that has the lift. WHAT a difference just sitting in the car. The Recaro's make everything so special in the R. The 500 factory seats are like sitting on a couch LOL.

There's also a new oil filter out that they mentioned in that article too:

"Canister Style Filter (February 2017-Present)
If your GT350 and/or engine was produced after February 2017 you will have a Canister Oil Filter. If you are unsure visually inspect your oil filter housing, you will see a black composite oil filter canister.

Original Spec: FL-2062
When the Canister Style Oil Filter was first introduced in February 2017, it was the same oil filter used on most EcoBoost V6 engines. There is some controversy about this as technically this filter was not built specifically for the 5.2 FPC Voodoo V8. Don’t fret as Ford has since developed a canister style oil filter specifically for the GT350.

Current Spec: FL-2087
When the Gen 2 5.2 FPC Voodoo V8 came out, so did a new canister style oil filter. FL-2087 is now recommended for all 5.2 FPC Voodoo V8’s with the canister style oil filter. The two biggest notable differences from the FL-2062 is the use of synthetic filter media and a steel core. This is a bit of a head scratcher, why did Ford develop a new oil filter? Likely because FL-2062 was not originally designed for the 5.2 FPC Voodoo V8. It was a parts bin filter to enable a quick response to replace the spin-off filter which was causing headaches for early GT350 owners.

We will start with the filter media. Ford updated the filter media to increase the particulate filtration efficiency. Did Ford deem that the paper filter media used in the FL-2062 was not efficient enough for use in the GT350? Whatever the reason, the FL-2087 has increased filtration efficiency compared to the old paper media which is good for your Voodoo’s health.

Next we will talk about the most important reason why you should immediately start using the FL-2087, the steel core. The steel core is used to increase structural rigidity of the filter during high oil pressure operations. What was wrong with the FL-2062’s plastic core? Was it collapsing during high oil pressure operations? We may never know but it is safe to assume that the reason was significant enough that you should take notice and use it for your next oil change."

Get ready for some fun!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Jim, great info and thanks for sharing . I reviewed all of that data and threads very thoroughly before making a purchasing decision. Thanks to people like yourself and the rest of the community for making things so much easier to digest.

So finally, I've had a chance to drive the car beyond the first critical 100 miles. I now have 165 miles on it and have gradually started bring the rpm's up and opening the throttle wider to small wot burst to 5-6k.

The Voodoo. Where do I start that hasn't already been said about the is magnificent piece of some of America's finest technology. The first time I opened the exhaust valves and took her past 4k, OMFG. The magical mechanical music this thing makes is like no other on this planet. This is like heroin. I want my daily dose of Voodoo and pissed when I can't have it. I don't need to state the obvious things about the Voodoo's power band. However, speed in motion, it's very fast when selecting the right gear.

UBER GRIP!! The confidence this car inspires is a great change of pace from my 2013. With this machine, you can power out of turns with ease with a poised balanced exit. Know how to grab the right gear, and you will find this car is blazingly quick through all your favorite curves and twisties.

Brakes, are you kidding me Ford. Ford knocked this one out of the park too. You want a passenger out of your car with a quickness, get'er up to 100, pop the passenger seat belt off and slam the binders. They will exit the windshield. I don't know where the limits of these brakes are at but I'll tell you this, I watch that rear view mirror even more now with this car. My 2013 had some good brakes but they literally suck in comparison.

To say I'm happy with my purchase is an understatement. What Ford has delivered is a world class performance car. It delivers everything I wanted a Porsche for without having to give up my love affair with Shelby's or the American V8.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,702 Posts
Jim, great info and thanks for sharing . I reviewed all of that data and threads very thoroughly before making a purchasing decision. Thanks to people like yourself and the rest of the community for making things so much easier to digest.

So finally, I've had a chance to drive the car beyond the first critical 100 miles. I now have 165 miles on it and have gradually started bring the rpm's up and opening the throttle wider to small wot burst to 5-6k.

The Voodoo. Where do I start that hasn't already been said about the is magnificent piece of some of America's finest technology. The first time I opened the exhaust valves and took her past 4k, OMFG. The magical mechanical music this thing makes is like no other on this planet. This is like heroin. I want my daily dose of Voodoo and pissed when I can't have it. I don't need to state the obvious things about the Voodoo's power band. However, speed in motion, it's very fast when selecting the right gear.

UBER GRIP!! The confidence this car inspires is a great change of pace from my 2013. With this machine, you can power out of turns with ease with a poised balanced exit. Know how to grab the right gear, and you will find this car is blazingly quick through all your favorite curves and twisties.

Brakes, are you kidding me Ford. Ford knocked this one out of the park too. You want a passenger out of your car with a quickness, get'er up to 100, pop the passenger seat belt off and slam the binders. They will exit the windshield. I don't know where the limits of these brakes are at but I'll tell you this, I watch that rear view mirror even more now with this car. My 2013 had some good brakes but they literally suck in comparison.

To say I'm happy with my purchase is an understatement. What Ford has delivered is a world class performance car. It delivers everything I wanted a Porsche for without having to give up my love affair with Shelby's or the American V8.
Great review Eric!

I dove my 2011 yesterday and was reminded how much like a truck it rides compared to an IRS equipped car. I am a big fan of IRS!

I look forward to a ride in your 350!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
I second Tim's assessment. An accurate and heartfelt response to this car by Eric. I too loved my 2013 GT500 for obvious reasons. but this new GT350 just makes you feel like you've traded in your 60's muscle/pony car for a new GT500/GT350. The differences are substantial. I've got more fun out of this car then any previously owned Shelby GT500's.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Tim, you can count on it.

Mike, I too loved my 13. It was one bad mutha. But. The GT350’s entire chassis and everything attached to it was a very well thought out and deliberate exclamation of performance that crushes my 13 with the exception of off the line grunt. At speed acceleration is quite the visceral experience behind the Voodoo.

I’m completely in love with it, even the interior. Seriously, I like the Recaros in the 13 but everything else was chinsy hertz. Ford has stepped their game up.

I forgot to mention the gearbox. Best 6 speed manual ever period. It’s very rewarding when wielded properly. And for a novice, it will help them hone their skills with confidence so no need to be an expert three peddle dancer to have fun.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Thanks Eric. This forum is the best for sharing, helping and knowledge. I've posted on other 350 forums and the FordGT500 forum still adds more info than the others. I hope it stays that way and expands the GT350 categories.

I also just got this in the mail today. I click on the Track Attack web site every day so when it finally says registration open I am locked in for both days, not just the free day!!
Track Attack.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I too have been watching the site for posted dates. Can’t wait.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,702 Posts
I hope it stays that way and expands the GT350 categories.
I had a separate GT350 sub-forum added here back when the GT350s came out, but since this forum is dedicated to the GT500, there wont be further sub-forums for the GT350 here. We just have the 1 sub-forum for all that is the lovely GT350.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had a separate GT350 sub-forum added here back when the GT350s came out, but since this forum is dedicated to the GT500, there wont be further sub-forums for the GT350 here. We just have the 1 sub-forum for all that is the lovely GT350.
Come on Tim, help a brother out LOL. Well let's see how it goes. Like I said this is the best forum out there but I understand.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
To do that, they would be very gullible; hence the emojis! For those in doubt, Tim has continued to send me love letters, so all is roses and clover!

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
991 Posts
So is Woody Mike or Tim?

Joe

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
991 Posts
61 - 78 of 78 Posts