Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that I had placed an order for a 2020 GT500. In preparation I sold my 2013.

Some family financial priorities forced me to re-evaluate the purchase and as a result I cancelled my order and switched it to a more affordable 2020 GT350.

Ford Performance Blue
Painted black roof
Over the top black and silver stripes
Technology Package
Handling Package
Carbon fiber IP

Very excited to get the car. I have no doubt this car is going to be exciting and amazing to drive.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,781 Posts
Many of you know that I had placed an order for a 2020 GT500. In preparation I sold my 2013.

Some family financial priorities forced me to re-evaluate the purchase and as a result I cancelled my order and switched it to a more affordable 2020 GT350.

Ford Performance Blue
Painted black roof
Over the top black and silver stripes
Technology Package
Handling Package
Carbon fiber IP

Very excited to get the car. I have no doubt this car is going to be exciting and amazing to drive.
That Voodoo is going to ROCK! ?

Excited for you Eric!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,346 Posts
That's one of the two reasons why I passed on the 2020 GT500. Everyone in the world knows the other reason! :p I think you'll enjoy the GT350. It's a huge departure from your 2013! It has many creature comforts and although it falls short of the acceleration performance of the 2013, it makes up for it in every other category. It's really a fun car to drive and you'll never tire of listening to that exhaust note in "sport mode"! Great choice of options!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talk to me about your break in procedure Mike. I’ve read it all in 3 different forums.

First 100 miles below 4K? Nice and easy, no wot?

I’m not one to let my car sit forever warming up. As soon as the car idle’s down, I drive slow and easy until the oil comes to temp. After that, all bets are off. ?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice. Love that car.
My buddy has a 2016 and I've had the opportunity to drive it hard on a track and its just amazing. Yup, not obscene power, but that means that you can wring its neck more easily and more often.

Not that you need a suggestion, but for $150, the resonator delete is a terrific first mod. It does quite down nicely still in Normal mode (and in 6th), but in Sport mode, it turns heads.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
As mentioned it's not as good in acceleration, but you can actually use all of the acceleration almost everywhere. The car is so sure footed and composed it's great. I do miss stabbing the throttle in 2nd gear and lighting the tires up for an 1/8th mile at times, but it's as much fun if not more to be able to floor it in first gear and actually accelerate.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I'll lose that sledge hammer on the highway but I've been wanting a more balanced car that didn't drive like a truck and turn into a frightening killing machine when I forget it's not a Porsche.

At my budget I had a lot of choices and I'm not necessarily brand specific. But.. These damn Shelby's, and I mean every single one of them, are just so freaking special in each of their own ways. I couldn't see anything else in my garage. Over 500hp NA, 8k redline, are you kidding me? With grip and cornering too? Oh and then there's the wonderful symphony of that Voodoo engine. It was an easy choice with no hesitation of signing the dotted line.

Now the wait begins. My dealer has committed to a fall delivery 8-10 weeks. This was critical because I had several leads on cars I could've put in my garage tomorrow.

It's a great time to be a car guy and a Shelby fan.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,346 Posts
Kyle hits the nail on the head, exactly. Reference break-in, I stayed below 4K RPM's for the first 100 miles. From 100 to about 500 miles, I occasionally took it up to 7K for short squirts and didn't do any highway driving at a steady RPM (a no-no). When I hit about 700 miles I drove it like I normally do.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,781 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I know I'll lose that sledge hammer on the highway but I've been wanting a more balanced car that didn't drive like a truck and turn into a frightening killing machine when I forget it's not a Porsche.

At my budget I had a lot of choices and I'm not necessarily brand specific. But.. These damn Shelby's, and I mean every single one of them, are just so freaking special in each of their own ways. I couldn't see anything else in my garage. Over 500hp NA, 8k redline, are you kidding me? With grip and cornering too? Oh and then there's the wonderful symphony of that Voodoo engine. It was an easy choice with no hesitation of signing the dotted line.

Now the wait begins. My dealer has committed to a fall delivery 8-10 weeks. This was critical because I had several leads on cars I could've put in my garage tomorrow.

It's a great time to be a car guy and a Shelby fan.
This sounds exactly like me this time last year. The 500 was a monster, but the most exciting part of driving it was the multiple times it would try to kill me because there was a bit of mist, dust, or a slight crown to the road when you went WOT. I don't have any real brand loyalty, I just keep ending up in Mustangs for some reason.

95 Mustang GT - heavy boltons with a bad 2nd gear for only $2500. Last year of the 5.0 and wanted to play with RWD. Cheap rwd car to play with as a project.
09 GT500 - wanted to build a big hp car. Hadn't gotten over 400hp before. Got it up to 660whp and checked it off my list for probably less than 5,000 in total modifications. Excellent bang for the buck
18 GT350 - wanted a car that handled again and had a back seat. Limited options so was comparing 2010-2012 911 turbo's and then came across the GT350. The sound and the balance won me over for 30k less than a 7-9 year old Porsche.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This sounds exactly like me this time last year. The 500 was a monster, but the most exciting part of driving it was the multiple times it would try to kill me because there was a bit of mist, dust, or a slight crown to the road when you went WOT. I don't have any real brand loyalty, I just keep ending up in Mustangs for some reason.

95 Mustang GT - heavy boltons with a bad 2nd gear for only $2500. Last year of the 5.0 and wanted to play with RWD. Cheap rwd car to play with as a project.
09 GT500 - wanted to build a big hp car. Hadn't gotten over 400hp before. Got it up to 660whp and checked it off my list for probably less than 5,000 in total modifications. Excellent bang for the buck
18 GT350 - wanted a car that handled again and had a back seat. Limited options so was comparing 2010-2012 911 turbo's and then came across the GT350. The sound and the balance won me over for 30k less than a 7-9 year old Porsche.
I was looking at 911’s as well. I also had an issue with the Porsche being 7-8 years old for the same cost if not more in many cases than the 2020 GT500 I was going to buy.

When you hear Porsche purists praise the GT350 and use it in the same sentence as a 911 when talking about handling prowess; you know Ford has something special.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I was looking at 911’s as well. I also had an issue with the Porsche being 7-8 years old for the same cost if not more in many cases than the 2020 GT500 I was going to buy.

When you hear Porsche purists praise the GT350 and use it in the same sentence as a 911 when talking about handling prowess; you know Ford has something special.
When I read about GT3 owners talking about how special the chassis was on the GT350 I knew it was something I had to check out. They were all right.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any good under carriage pictures of a GT350? I can’t seem to find any.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Any good under carriage pictures of a GT350? I can’t seem to find any.
For the most part it looks just like any other S550 aside from the front undertray and rear undertray.This one has some missing pieces to show the brake cooling ducts and various cooler hidden behind the trays.

·
Super Moderator
5,267 Posts
Fantastic, Eric! Love that you went with the painted black roof -- I really like that look. Now that waiting game begins...hang in there!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally some good news. Called Ford Performance today to check the status. Order is in Processing, VIN has been assigned with a build week scheduled for 11/11. That's the latest 2020 build I've seen online yet. There was a GT500 for the first week in Nov.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts