Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
I had Suntek put on the front of mine and absolutely loved it. More of a shine than XPEL from what installer told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I received a follow-up email from Colgan. Their techs in California are trying to locate a GT350 to take measurements. They are not sure whether they will be able to get a bra completed and sent to me before Shelbyfest, but continue trying to get it done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice customer service. If you haven't joined mustang6G forum you might want to and post the need there. There are a bunch of California guys on that forum.

If you don't want to join the forum I can post a thread for you. I can have anyone interested PM me for your contact info. I assume Colgan would cut the individual a deal if they let them use their car.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice customer service. If you haven't joined mustang6G forum you might want to and post the need there. There are a bunch of California guys on that forum.

If you don't want to join the forum I can post a thread for you. I can have anyone interested PM me for your contact info. I assume Colgan would cut the individual a deal if they let them use their car.
Thanks for the offer! The info I'm getting is somewhat vague as to where they are located in California, etc. I would think there are still a number of 2018 GT350's sitting on dealer showroom floors at a discount. The logistics of setting up with a private owner etc. might be a bit difficult, but we'll see what happens over the next few day. Thanks again, Alan.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Agree, completely. I'd rather have the paint chips than the haze left over from a bra.
I've never experienced that "haze" with any of my cars. However, I think if you left it on for a long time (Weeks) with it getting wet and then drying on it's own, you might have a point. I don't do that...ever. Sensible application of the bra by the owner, and it serves it's purpose.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I joined Mustang6G today!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've never experienced that "haze" with any of my cars. However, I think if you left it on for a long time (Weeks) with it getting wet and then drying on it's own, you might have a point. I don't do that...ever. Sensible application of the bra by the owner, and it serves it's purpose.
Totally agree. Had the bra for my 500. Car was clean and bra was clean each time it went on. That said, probably going X-Pel or Suntek on the 350.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts
I agree!

Mike #1 in his NEW Bra.....LOL

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT496YwpNWvRCGNb2InyDaAxlPjXJ-K4xcNORJM4N2QooOuTAJAQMycILvU-LhPtenFEpRkC_e0FjnPymKaMBADvXcCKgBWTCLxVqGbaQ3hmdUCG2lMPDxonQ&usqp=CAE

·
Registered
45 Posts

I should have been more descriptive. The ‘haze’ is the dulling of the surface due to micro scratches from particles drawn under the bra (mask). The inevitable movement of the bra causes the particles to wear into the clear coat. I experienced this with a Le Bra (?) on a black RX7 in the early ‘80s and never used such a mask again. I don’t care how meticulous you are, any removable mask has the potential to damage your finish. Not worth the hassle or potential damaging effects IMHO. The Xpel films are a much better solution if you insist on masking your clip AND you can find an experienced installer (have that film on our motorhome). Beware of other films that may develop mildew that is impossible to remove.

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
4,394 Posts
I should have been more descriptive. The ‘haze’ is the dulling of the surface due to micro scratches from particles drawn under the bra (mask). The inevitable movement of the bra causes the particles to wear into the clear coat. I experienced this with a Le Bra (?) on a black RX7 in the early ‘80s and never used such a mask again. I don’t care how meticulous you are, any removable mask has the potential to damage your finish. Not worth the hassle or potential damaging effects IMHO. The Xpel films are a much better solution if you insist on masking your clip AND you can find an experienced installer (have that film on our motorhome). Beware of other films that may develop mildew that is impossible to remove.

I haven’t had any kind of haze or scratches with my Colgan. Damn thing fits so tight I can hardly get it on by myself. I only use it going to Shelbyfest though, so could be an issue if used frequently I suppose.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

Clarification understood. I always put a quick (extra) coat of paste wax on the front clip and leading edge of the hood before a trip, just for that possibility. All my cars have been white, so I've seen no damage. The BMW is dark blue and I've used a Colgan on it for the past two trips to Florida and have noticed no clear coat damage. Darker colors would show damage more readily, I'd think. P.S.: I enjoyed helping Sue with putting on her bra...….Where's Butch? Are you sure no one has seen him nearby? LOL!

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,482 Posts
I haven’t had any kind of haze or scratches with my Colgan. Damn thing fits so tight I can hardly get it on by myself. I only use it going to Shelbyfest though, so could be an issue if used frequently I suppose.
Clarification understood. I always put a quick (extra) coat of paste wax on the front clip and leading edge of the hood before a trip, just for that possibility. All my cars have been white, so I've seen no damage. The BMW is dark blue and I've used a Colgan on it for the past two trips to Florida and have noticed no clear coat damage. Darker colors would show damage more readily, I'd think.

P.S.: I enjoyed helping Sue with putting on her bra...….!
:surprise:

Same with me...
No I didn't help Suzi put 'THE BRA ON HER CAR'... but I would.
The same with me part is as I said, I have multiple coats of LG on the front to avoid any finish issues. And I also have only had it on when driving on the Highway to and from SF. As soon as I am there, I take it off I use Griots Speed Shine to 'clean it' and then buff it to assure all is fine. It keeps the front chip free without having to have an annoying plastic wrap and lines that ARE visible.

Ken
RLTW
Sua Sponte

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts

Same with me...
No I didn't help Suzi put 'THE BRA ON'... but I would.

Ken
RLTW
Sua Sponte
THERE, I FIXED that typo for ya!

Sometimes, I just can't HELP myself....that was just TOO EASY!

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
4,394 Posts
You guys are such comedians...:grin:

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Just an up-date after six months of e-mails to customer service: I received an e-mail from the president of Covercraft about a month ago, after having sent him an e-mail expressing my disappointment concerning their lack of movement in creating a bra for my GT350. He advised their technicians had found a GT350 and they had completed their measurements to design a Colgan Bra for the GT350 models. He said it should be ready for customer consumption by the end of the month (August). I'll let you GT350 owners know when they are available, the model number, and price for those who want a short term protective cover for your cars. Stay tuned.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I know this thread has gotten a little long in the tooth, but it's taken this long to get things to a conclusion! The Colgan Bra for the 2015 through 2020 GT350 is now ready to be ordered from Covercraft. The model number is: BC5938CF. This model # is for a front license plate hole delete and a carbon fiber look-alike surface. The price is $238.00 plus tax. I think the shipping is free.You can order it with the front tag hole or without and you can opt for the non-carbon fiber "look" if you desire. Cost's a little less. If you order it without the options I chose, the model number may be a little different. Just call them. I have ordered mine so hope to get it in a few weeks. Once I get it, I'll post some pictures. Geez, this was a battle to get accomplished!

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,482 Posts
Mikey... Good on you !!!!
you will find it well worth your effort.

I'm not a huge fan of the "carbon fiber" look, but my Colgan has that feature and I do like it. I have had it on at each drive to Shelbyfest at IT HAS made a difference. my front is as good or better that the day it rolled from Ford.

This can't be argued with !!!!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts