Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used Colgan car bras for many years. I've found them to be of excellent quality and they have saved the front clip of my cars from damage on long highway trips. Covercraft company has absorbed Colgan; however, the quality remains excellent. I've had two past occasions to talk directly with the President of Covercraft and he has always been receptive when I expressed my frustration that they had not provided a Bra for my 2013 GT500 and more recently, our 2017 BMW 340I. On both occasions he saw to it that their technicians found a car, took their measurements, and once they had the pattern, produced a Colgan Bra for both cars. This happened with two months, rather than years!
That said, I've recently ordered a 2019 Shelby GT350 and wanted to order a bra for it before it is delivered this Spring. I called Covercraft and they had no bra and no ETA. I then spoke with Ford Performance and they assured me that the front clip of the 2015 through 2019 GT350 has not changed. Therefore, a Colgan bra that fits a 2015,16,17,18, and 2019 would be of the same design. With that information, I again spoke with my contact at Covercraft and was advised they would again find a recent GT350 (probably a 2018) to obtain a pattern and produce a bra for the car. They should be able to accomplish this by Spring. I'll keep you guys posted on the result, and provide a product number when a bra becomes available. I never keep the bra on around town and only use it for long trips, Shelbyfest!! They've never damaged the paint and are saviors for the paint.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,599 Posts
Mines on order. I have an estimated ship date later this month.

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
Colgan is what I have for mine and had it on to and from SF previously. It fits VERY well, yet can be difficult to put it on. It HAS (absolutely has to) to sit out in the sun for it to become 'pliable' enough to 'stretch' over the contours of the front end. Oherwise it will not fit correctly and will be extremely difficult to even attempt to put it on!!!! I really must stress this point. Also, it would be wise to put several coats of a sealer/wax under it. I put around 10 coats of Liquid Glass on mine and buffed out the minor marks it left, But I'm more anal than most regarding the paint/finish... IT WILL KEEP THE CHIPS OFF YOUR FRONT.

Note: If you get caught in a rain, take it off. The rain will wash dust/dirt under the bra and scratch by wear under it.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Not sure I can use a bra on black paint.

Mike, I talked to my buddy that has a 2017 GT350, it cost him about $1,000 to Expel clear bra the bumper, entire hood and large chunk of the fenders. He really likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
399 Posts
Umm, you guys do know these bras will kill your clear coat right? Shit will get suck behind them as act like sand paper. Best thing you can do is clear bra your Shelby’s. Mine is fully wrapped all the way past the doors.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,130 Posts
I had a 3M clear bra installed on mine two weeks after bringing it home. Not a single rock chip on my front end. Although, the radiator and heat exchanger need some touch up. Shouldn’t be too difficult since it’s just flat black.

Reactions: Ford Fest

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I bought a Novistretch for mine. Will ultimately get X-Pel or something similar on the nose.

Have not seen that material. Is it mesh?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes, replace push pins with snap mounts. Thick enough to protect and tight enough to keep “stuff” from getting behind it. Wash it after every use.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Umm, you guys do know these bras will kill your clear coat right? Shit will get suck behind them as act like sand paper. Best thing you can do is clear bra your Shelby’s. Mine is fully wrapped all the way past the doors.

I've never experienced any paint damage on any of my current or past Colgan applications. The only thing I noted was a black mark near the front wheel well where the bra hooked. It came off with wax and no damage. My front clip on the GT500 looks brand new. Ken is right about his experiences and about taking it off if it rains. These bra's also fit snugly and they advise, in the instructions, to let it warm up before putting it on. Room temperature works for me. On trips, overnighter's, I'll take it off and bring it into the motel room to dry off if it rains during the first day of the trip ( IE, Shelbyfest). I think it's the best and least expensive alternative to protect the nose and hood. The clear coverings that are offered give me pause concerning cost and repair procedures if damaged. As so often said, to each his own!

·
DFW Shelby Queen!
2010 Grabber Blue/White
4,442 Posts
Colgan is what I have for mine and had it on to and from SF previously. It fits VERY well, yet can be difficult to put it on. It HAS (absolutely has to) to sit out in the sun for it to become 'pliable' enough to 'stretch' over the contours of the front end. Oherwise it will not fit correctly and will be extremely difficult to even attempt to put it on!!!! I really must stress this point. Also, it would be wise to put several coats of a sealer/wax under it. I put around 10 coats of Liquid Glass on mine and buffed out the minor marks it left, But I'm more anal than most regarding the paint/finish... IT WILL KEEP THE CHIPS OFF YOUR FRONT.

Note: If you get caught in a rain, take it off. The rain will wash dust/dirt under the bra and scratch by wear under it.

Just my opinion.
^^^
This.

I only use it on long drives. Actually only used it on the trips to Shelbyfest. It fits very tight and I have not noticed any scratching, but I take it off once I am done with the drive and clean it off. Like Cause says, IT IS EXTREMELY TIGHT AND HARD TO STRETCH IF NOT HEATED. I have to have help from Mike to get the thing hooked around the wheel wells every year before I head home. Also the nose piece has elastic straps with hooks that hook into the holes in the radiator cover. Mike showed me how to use small pieces of sponge to place under the hooks to prevent any scratching. It works great. Bottom line is it is worth every penny paid for it. I also have the mirror covers.

Reactions: Goose17 and 'cause

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
^^^
This.

I only use it on long drives. Actually only used it on the trips to Shelbyfest. It fits very tight and I have not noticed any scratching, but I take it off once I am done with the drive and clean it off. Like Cause says, IT IS EXTREMELY TIGHT AND HARD TO STRETCH IF NOT HEATED. I have to have help from Mike to get the thing hooked around the wheel wells every year before I head home. Also the nose piece has elastic straps with hooks that hook into the holes in the radiator cover. Mike showed me how to use small pieces of sponge to place under the hooks to prevent any scratching. It works great. Bottom line is it is worth every penny paid for it. I also have the mirror covers.
^^^
This,

If you don't want to listen to me, listen to Suzi !!!!!

:wink::smile::grin::smile::wink:

The scatches I was talking about were like very minor, sort of like 'swirl' marks from where most people use like terry cloth towels to dry their car...

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
^^^
This.

I had one for my Shelby (Black), it worked GREAT for me. It went with the Shelby to the new owner.

I just ordered a NEW Colgan Bra for my '99 GT for the trip to SF19....

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
What am I?...chopped liver?
Next to Suzi, yes

I had one for my Shelby (Black), it worked GREAT for me. It went with the Shelby to the new owner.

I just ordered a NEW Colgan Bra for my '99 GT for the trip to SF19....
How did it work with your black Shelby?

Reactions: SuziQ

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Next to Suzi, yes

How did it work with your black Shelby?
Like Sue and #2 Mike @03reptile, I did not leave it on except for road trips. If it got wet I would leave it off till dry.
Did not mar the Black paint that I could see.
I had a clear bra on it for about 3 years. I never did really like the way the line showed up with the clear bra...and you are not supposed to leave them indefinitely according to the installer.

Besides, I also like the Carbon Fiber look that Colgan makes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I was quoted only $400 for front bumper coverage in Xpel plastic film. Not sure what these bras cost, but I would strongly consider going that route than covering up the gorgeous front end of these cars.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,130 Posts
I was quoted only $400 for front bumper coverage in Xpel plastic film. Not sure what these bras cost, but I would strongly consider going that route than covering up the gorgeous front end of these cars.
I was was going to add. If I remember correctly(I can dig out the receipts), both clear bra’s, Raptor and Shelby, cost under $400 but it sounded like everyone had made up their mind. I used to use the old style bra on our GT but eventually gave up on it. When the 3M came out right before we bought our vehicle’s in ‘13 I had to do it. So glad I did. The fella that installed them told me to use a product called Plexus to clean them whenever I wash the vehicles. Funny you mention the “lines” @OMB. We took the Raptor to a Reds game shortly after having it installed. When we left the game I noticed finger prints all over the front where people just HAD to see what it was. The clear bra was a new thing at the time. :laugh: You really don’t notice them unless you’re within 10 feet. The fella that installed mine did an awesome job. They’re cut right up against the stripes on the Shelby and around the hood graphic on the Raptor.

Reactions: OMB
1 - 20 of 40 Posts