Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys that live in a cold weather climate like I do (Massachusetts). Do you guys start your cars up from time to time. I have one friend who has 10 classic Mopars. He says start them up once in awhile but only when the temp. is over 40 degrees. I have another friend who is sort of a car guru in my area (has his own radio show and 2 performance shops). He says only start them up when you are going for a drive. He says the worst thing you can do to a car is start it up and let it idle. My car is under it's cover, garaged with a full tank of gas treated with Sta-bil and the battery charger hooked up. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine is in an offsite storage facility. Probably 4 or 5 times during the winter I wait until a day where the roads are dry enough to avoid salt all over the car.

Then I warm it up fully, drive for 20 minutes or so on the streets. You should get the engine up to full operating temp-- to burn off any water moisture in the oil and intake. Several mechanics much more knowledgeable than me have recommended this approach. I'd be interested to hear what other winter-storage Shelby owners do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I woudl crank it from time to time make sure you dont kill your battery, especially in cold weather.

[/shrug]
The batteries on these cars won't charge unless you are driving the car. Just starting it and letting it run does not charge the batteries. This was discussed when they first came out a few years ago, a topic is... somewhere on this site.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
i keep the tank full to minimize condensation. it's kept in a heated garage. only start on good days to drive, after its warmed up for 20min. then shifting gently as tranny knotches a bit in 2nd since its cold. after that, a good drive in the neighborhood..balls to the wall..

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
i keep the tank full to minimize condensation. it's kept in a heated garage. only start on good days to drive, after its warmed up for 20min. then shifting gently as tranny knotches a bit in 2nd since its cold. after that, a good drive in the neighborhood..balls to the wall..
Okay so I am not crazy then? I had the clutch drag TSB performed on my 08, It shifts much better than it did but didn't notice until it got cold that it grinds when shifting to second. The current temprature in Utah right now is roughly 10-35 degrees everyday and for the first 15 minutes driving my tranny knotches in second and sometimes third, but if the temp is warmer outside or I have been driving for say 15min it shifts smooth. I only have 8k miles on the car and was wondering if anyone else had this problem too. Debated about taking it in. Thanks

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Okay so I am not crazy then? I had the clutch drag TSB performed on my 08, It shifts much better than it did but didn't notice until it got cold that it grinds when shifting to second. The current temprature in Utah right now is roughly 10-35 degrees everyday and for the first 15 minutes driving my tranny knotches in second and sometimes third, but if the temp is warmer outside or I have been driving for say 15min it shifts smooth. I only have 8k miles on the car and was wondering if anyone else had this problem too. Debated about taking it in. Thanks
yep, mine does it in 2nd, sometimes 3rd. after driving in town or highway, she warms up and smooth as silk. it don't like the cold, especially if she sits outdoors. i didn't have the TSB, but have a new tranny, b4 the TSB was out out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and excuse my ignorance. When it is warm outside say summertime at 75 degrees and up does it still notch or is that a cold weather deal? I am going on the 45th anniversary mustangs across america trip in april and I have noticed that you can pretty much get anything taken care of when the car is less than 12mo or 12k miles with little arguing. After the trip I will be just over the 12K mi.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and excuse my ignorance. When it is warm outside say summertime at 75 degrees and up does it still notch or is that a cold weather deal? I am going on the 45th anniversary mustangs across america trip in april and I have noticed that you can pretty much get anything taken care of when the car is less than 12mo or 12k miles with little arguing. After the trip I will be just over the 12K mi.
its been a while since we've those temps, but last year dont recall any issues. This spring i'll be gauging it. Those miles shouldn't matter. It's still warrantied. It all really depends on the relationship you have with the SM and senior tech.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
It's still a little notchy til the tranny gets warm, but the tranny gets warm real quick when it's 75+.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's still a little notchy til the tranny gets warm, but the tranny gets warm real quick when it's 75+.
In Ohio I definitely notice the seasonal difference.

Before the engine/tranny is fully warmed up,
on a scale of 1-10: (if 10 is worst possible= refusing to go into 2nd gear)
...........my first gear > second gear shift is about a '7' on a colder day (25 degrees F*), and about a '2' in the summer (75 degrees F).

My 07 coupe now at 15K miles, no TSB done.

*I've driven my Shelby at subfreezing temps only a couple of times, and I would discourage anyone from driving on stock summer tires in sub-35 degree outdoor temps. Get a set of Blizzaks mounted for regular trips in very cold temps.. just my opinion, of course. :silly:

·
Registered
191 Posts
You should not start the car up unless you can take it out for a long drive and get the oil temp up over 200 degrees for a long period of time....one of the by products of combustion that gets into the crank case is sulphur; the condensation created by a cold start mixes with the sulphur and causes sulphuric acid....not good for bearings etc...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts