Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im waiting for my 2010 Shelby to show up and im wondering about removal of the air resonator. i want that supercharger whine. has anyone touched on this yet?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 2010 is still in the mod shop right now. I'm waiting to get it tuned. They took the resonator off and used the tube from my 09. I was told that did the trick but haven't heard it yet. Should know more this week. Now I'm looking for an improved stock filter for more air.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FRPP's TVS 2300 kit for the 2010 GT500 has the airbox without the resonator so I got to believe its available from Ford,,,FYI that supercharger package is now rated at 650hp not 605hp :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glad to hear there are others out there that are looking at this issue. does anyone think a retune would be required if the resonator is changed out for a 2009 model?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
The "resinator" is molded to/inside/ as a part of the intake tube. To remove it means to replace the tube, I have already pulled mine apart and there is no getting around it without replacing the tube.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im cool with replacing the tube. do you think the resonator causes any resistance of air flow that would affect tuning if swapped out for a better one? also, do you think doing a cat back exhaust will require a tune? how are you liking your cobra so far?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I took off the resonator and replaced it with a carbon fiber inlet tube from JLT. Looks great but still can't hear the supercharger over the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Yes I am loving my 2010, GT500. My issue is that my head is spinning on MODS. There is just so much one can do. I have been incontact with EVO Performance and they have been great answering all my emails. They are recommending about $22K in mods without labor. For that kind of cash I can basically do a Super Snake. (Take into consideration labor) There suggestions do not include brakes. You will LOVE your 2010.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
ROOFERGT500 didnt you also upgrade to the KB 2.8 Mammoth? If so you still cannot hear the Super Charger?

·
Registered
160 Posts
ROOFERGT500 didnt you also upgrade to the KB 2.8 Mammoth? If so you still cannot hear the Super Charger?
I have the tvs, 2.6 upper, 10% lower, 80# injectors, boost a pump, 66 mm TB, stock air box with JLT tube, the MAFia, kooks headers, 3 inch catted x pipe, fr500 mufflers, aluminum driveshaft with loops, afco heat exchanger, frpp handling pack, lower control arms and so on... I want a short throw shifter but not sure what will work. If you are standing in front of the motor while revving the engine you can hear the SC whine. On the road driving all you hear is exhaust which does sound good. On my 09 with basically the same set up you could clearly hear the SC. I am not sure the difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im thinking the stock airbox seals to the hood too well, preventing sound from escaping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Removing the resonator from your stock airbox will allow it to breathe a bit easier, and will make for a much louder intake noise under load. Resonator removal is a necessary procedure when installing an aftermarket "cold air" style intake.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, it appeared to me that the infamous "resignator" is nothing me than a series indentations/circles that are part of the injection mold of the inlet tube, to me it appears that there is no removing the "resignator". It seems to me that the tube needs to be replaced to remove the "resignator", Just my two cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts