Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody want to guess what other car manufacturers clutch is in the Shelby?Or do we not want to play games?Let me know.

·
Registered
257 Posts
07 SHELBY...I don't really want to play games but I will make an uneducated guess and say it's the same as the Z06...How far off am I? Please tell me there aren't any bowtie parts in a Shelby...

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry.I thought I might get some guesses.The tranny is the same as the z06 but the clutch is a ferrarri clutch.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Oh, that is too cool! Ferrari parts!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wonder if the Z06 and ferrarri are having the same problems we are having ?
I don't have a problem with either one!;)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't speak too soon.:rolleyes:
I was talking about ferrari or z06......I don't have a problem on either one.(cause I don't own 'em):D
JJ

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I was talking about ferrari or z06......I don't have a problem on either one.(cause I don't own 'em):D
JJ
My error.:eek: This is a touchy subject for me.:( Hope you never have to face this transplant as many of our members have or will.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the clutch and tranny replaced at 18k miles, as per warranty. Now I am at 35k miles and I need another clutch, but Ford does not want to honor the warrenty! Anyone have a suggestion? DRove my GT500 across the country twice, so the clutch was not used too much, as it would have been in city driving.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the clutch and tranny replaced at 18k miles, as per warranty. Now I am at 35k miles and I need another clutch, but Ford does not want to honor the warrenty! Anyone have a suggestion? DRove my GT500 across the country twice, so the clutch was not used too much, as it would have been in city driving.
There has been a lot of good comments on the Spec2 clutches posted on other boards and in magazines. The good thing about them is they will put one together for you based on your HP combo and what is important to you.

If you decide to go this route don't let someone talk you into one they have in stock until you consult with Spec2 directly.

Theirs is available as a single disk with a lot of flywheel options as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1989-1996 corvettes had the Ferrai clutch dual disc. It was used to handle the ZR1 option that was coming out in 1990, so they put it all the 6 speed cars. They work well but are now out of production, major pproblem now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What is it with the clutch in these things? I see all these problems on this site and others. I just can't imagine why it is such an issue in a car that cost $50K.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Spec now makes a twin disc clutch for the GT500 :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
It is sad that the GT500 test mules were not subjected to stop and go traffic for days during the summer in Los Angeles. Failures would probably been identified early. Instead they did a lot of testing in the desert to make sure the car would not overheat as the 96 Cobra did.

I don't have any commute traffic to contend with where I live but I do live in the high desert. My car works as well as the day I bought it.

Is is sickening for those people that have suffered through this ordeal. Ford should step up and replace the defective 07/09 flywheel/clutches with the newer 2010/2011 parts regardless of mileage or time of inservice date.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
What is it with the clutch in these things? I see all these problems on this site and others. I just can't imagine why it is such an issue in a car that cost $50K.
As I sit on ponder what sort of cake to buy my GT500 for it's birthday, I am amazed at the level of discontent that still exists about the clutches and transmissions of these cars. So, since I have a nice fresh cup of Joe I'll pontificate (even more than usual) about this very touchy subject.

The bulk of the issues with the clutch and trans with these cars have been operator error. Ford has bent over backwards to accomodate things that frankly they shouldn't have.

They told us all, right upfront, that this is a high performance clutch. Noises like the hiss, the gear rollover, etc are described in every GT500 manual suppliment since late 2007.

The first ones almost ALL had rust on the input shaft due to a lack of use. Yep, the vast majority were in climates with high humidity. Owners would drive them around for an afternoon, mothball them for a few weeks and wonder how they were developing corrosion on metal parts (gee, I dunno...metal, moisture, heating then cooling while it's not being used for 30 days!!!)

So, they replaced a buttload of input shafts, more than a few transmissions (which by the way, were ALL repairable, but the replaced the entire unit anyway to keep people happy), and a TON of clutches.

Which clutches failed? Not the ones that had the snot beaten out of them. It was the ones that were slipped to no end in traffic or at a track event by a driver that was, let's say less than experienced with a clutch of this design.

This is NOT a freakin' Camry and shouldn't be driven like one.

They finally decided enough was enough and cracked down on dealers. If a dealer did one of these repairs, they started to make sure it was for one of their customers and not just someone that was looking for a "mod friendly" dealer to do it. Plus many, myself included, bought our cars hundreds of miles from our homes, so we had to adopt a dealer near us. Factor all this in and you can see a recipe for a few dealers doing more than their share of these repairs- thus resulting in raised eyebrows at FoMoCo.

Part of their cracking down was to have zone/area reps take a peek at these things prior to approving the repairs. This resulted in wait times for both people and parts that were pissing off the owners.

So, it's not all Ford. They could have put the same clutch in there as in a Mustang GT and just called it a day. But they decided to put an industrial strength unit it. Then sold it to the masses. Oopsie. That's also why you saw more than a couple of these things wrapped around trees and in ditches in the first 6 months of production. Power to the people....not necessarily always a good thing. Take the kid that was used to his hopped up Civic, then throw him in this thing and "boom". Take the old fart (ahem...that would be me) that had "muscle cars" through the years and therefore think they're John Force and "boom". These cars had FAR more output than what 90% of the owners had ever experienced (or knew how to drive).

Take this for what it's worth, but my car turns 4 years old in a week. They replaced my trans and clutch at just under 8k on the clock (and really they didn't need to). Since then....about 3 years now....I've put 20,000 miles on it. I'd venture to say it's been on a dyno and a race track FAR more than the vast majority of owners/cars on these boards. I make well over 600 hp at the crank, have the suspension set up where it's far less than compliant so all the pieces and parts are taking a beating, use what are actually track-only tires....so all of the energy goes right through the car....and I mean I hammer this thing. 20,000 miles and literally over 100 drag passes folks and no clutch failures.

These things are built like tanks. Hey....go take a close look at a Camaro and see in an instant why they leave piles of broken crap at the lights.

Drive them, for God's sake. They're made to perform. Use them to whatever level you choose.

Now, just because they built these things "Ford Tough" with some very high performance componentry, doesn't mean they will -or even should- cover your failures under warranty when used in this manner. It's all in the book folks.

a) We used high performance stuff in your car so it makes noises and does things you're not used to.

b) Use it to it's fullest capabilities and you're abusing it by anyone's standards and we're not gonna cover it.

Really....it says that, IN WRITING, right there in the glove box.

Enjoy your cars. Just know that like a really hot woman or guy...they're a little more high maintenance. But they're a hell of a ride and soooo cool to be seen with.

bj

·
Registered
124 Posts
Must be post-prison Martha Stewart...

g'mornin bj

greg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts