Clutch/trans Tsb Released

37K views 101 replies 32 participants last post by  -Aj- 
#1 ·
TSB
08-16-4 SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

Publication Date: July 28, 2008

FORD: 2007-2009 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift any gear, gear grinding during shifts any gear, vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with clutch pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed (hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material). These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving). The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch. The system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH PRIOR REPAIRS, AS WELL AS THOSE WITH MINOR MODIFICATIONS, EXHIBITING ABOVE SYMPTOMS.

NOTE: THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED/REMOVED/REPLACED AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ONLY. DO NOT TAKE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY APART.

Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per WSM, Section 308-03C.
Assemble the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.
Remove clutch disc and plate assembly and pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.
Remove and replace flywheel per WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in flywheel kit.
Install new pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.
Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per online WSM, Section 308-01 (vehicles with solid design flywheel). Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in clutch kit. Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N-m) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a star pattern.
Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per WSM, Section 308-01.
Install the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7R3Z-6375-B Flywheel Kit
7R3Z-7L596-A Clutch Kit
7R3Z-7C391-A Trans Kit
XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant
XT-5-QM Motorcraft® MERCON V-Transmission Fluid
PM-1-C Motorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid
XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease
TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant
TA-25 Motorcraft® Threadlock and Sealer
F6ZZ-7600-A Pilot Bearing
1R3Z-7052-AA Transmission Input Shaft Oil Seal

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
081604A 2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Input Shaft, Synchronizer Assemblies, Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly, Pilot Bearing and, Flywheel Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003A3, 7003A6, 1007D7, 5212B) 7.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6375 69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

See less See more
#3 ·
I haven't seen Grabber here in over a week....................

#4 · (Edited)
Repair and not replace seems to be the new order of business. Some of us were fortunate enough to keep the original tranny as well as receive a replacement. Torque specs are back to the original due to the change in the flywheel. The original flywheel was experiencing wharping issues and the temporary fix was to lower the torque specs on the clutch. I also like the idea of the change in the pilot bearing, something I noticed on milezperhour's photos, which I commented on in his thread. His input shaft had quite a bit of rust and the needle bearings left rust marks on the tip of the input shaft.

#5 ·
Hmm... I have a really stupid question.............

"The clutch fully depressed"

what does this mean? the clutch is pushed in all the way? or the clutch is released all the way?

#6 ·
The clutch is pushed in all the way.

#10 ·
So does this mean the dealer will fix it under warranty or what is the steps to get this taken care off. The last time I called the local dealer they acted as if they never heard of this before. Maybe they have maybe not. And can you take it to any dealer SVT to do the repair. I bought my car 3 hours away but have a dealer 10 minutes away ?

Thanks,
Bill

#11 ·
Any dealer will honor the waranty, but if you do not know someone in the dealership I would be weary of any mods.

#12 ·
I would only take my car to a dealer that is authorized to sell and install FRPP and SVT accessories. I believe out of all the dealers here in the Phoenix area, there are only 6 authorized dealers.
Your car does not have to go back to the selling dealer, but I would take it to a Dealer who knows GT500s...........just my 2

#15 ·
Do you have a little clutch chatter. Make sure you tell them about it. This car should not have any clutch chatter. Clutch chatter is from the warped flywheel grabbing on the clutch pads as you let the clutch out. Instead of a smooth clutch action, you get chatter because of the un even surface.

#34 ·
I have extreme chatter going into 1st gear..... It is like the rear end is bouncing, clunk, clunk, clunk..... smooth in 2nd+.

I also have been behind a GT and he had the same shudder / chatter in 1st gear leaving at a light......??

Mike

#17 ·
Grabber, question.

I don't have a hiss when i have the clutch fully engaged as soon as i push it in, but if i hold the clutch in for a few seconds i get a kind of puttering hiss that doesn't stop. Is this normal?

#19 ·
ahhhh great.
hmm
i'll try and take a video of it this weekend, see if i can get a sound to help confirm it.

#21 ·
Great Photos Rob, did they give you the trans kit that wasn't required in your car? I ask because I thought it was odd that they let you open the box.
joe

#24 ·
The difference in weight between the old and new flywheel is negligible -- perhaps 1.5 lb heavier. The inertia is EXACTLY the same.

The flywheel is made out of forged steel (4100 series) which has about 20-30% better heat transfer coefficient as compared to nodular iron.

The input shaft strength is NO different. The "over pin" dimension on the splines has been increased slightly for a better fit with the mating clutch hub. Too small is just as bad as too big. The input shaft is NOT polished. It is broached to 1/10 the average Roughness of the old input shaft.

#26 ·
So what do you have to do in order to get the new parts installed? Seems like there are considerable revisions to the original pieces. I don't think I would know what clutch chatter was if it hit me over the head. I have nearly 10k Miles, just over a year old, and its my daily driver. You can see from the sig I have some mods, but nothing extreme.

I know that there are many who've have tranny problems, but again, so far I've been OK, but strange noises and what not, I am not sure I would necessarily recognize a problem early on.

Seems like this could almost be a recall issue....

TD

#28 · (Edited)
This won't be a recall. After the warranty period is over, many will have a yellow paper like this, and hear these 4 words.

Pay the cashier please.

I say this because many people don't drive the car enough to heat up the flywheel, and many people are storing these cars for the future. The warranty will be long gone when they notice the problem. I also predict the cost of the repair will go way up.

#30 ·
Yes, all 2007-2009's could have the problem. The new parts should be going into the cars now, but any car built prior to July 2008 IMO could have a problem because the flywheel was not available untill recently. I am not sure of the date that the factory started putting in the new parts.

#32 ·
My thoughts were to hold out as long as I can and then take the car in to get this campaign done prior to warranty expiration............

#35 · (Edited)
Is this type of repair covered by the 5yr/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty rather than limited by the 3yr/36,000 mile coverage? I would tend to believe these parts are components of the drivetrain.

After 3000 miles, I have not had any issues with shifting. Once or twice it's been difficult to get into reverse, but I think it was locked out; so I just moved the shifter over to the 1-2 gate and tried again and no problem.

#36 ·
Clutch is normally 1 year 12K miles but with this problem who knows. I took my car to the dealer today and it only has 5K miles on it. I don't drive it much so I only see the problem once in a great while and it is just the leaving in first. My thought is go ahead and get it fixed and that way they have a record and you have a record. If something else becomes an issue than you have paper work showing that you have been dealing with it. Now is a good time to take it to a drag strip and let it eat for a few passes and than get it fixed. My parts were ordered today so when ever they come in I will have them do it. The mechanic at my dealer is 1 of 2 SVT certified guys and he has been working at the same garage for 37 years he informed me today. Hopefully that long he knows this task inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.