Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed on a previous thread but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a good explanation on why there is a clinking noise when the car is running (idol) and in neutral, when I push in the clutch it stops?

It is pretty annoying.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I know this has been discussed on a previous thread but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a good explanation on why there is a clinking noise when the car is running (idol) and in neutral, when I push in the clutch it stops?

It is pretty annoying.
If the noise stops when you engage the clutch, more than likely its the throw out bearing noise. The throw out bearing is kinda loose over the top of the transmission input shaft and when you push in the clutch it is tightened against the clutch fingers thus stopping the noise. mine has the same thing. if you have a shaker1000 that should take care of the noise just fine.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Brad,

The clutch/transmission noise is normal per the owner's manual and the PDI document. This particlular instance is called "gear rollover"

"Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of
noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable
when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can
also occur when driving away from a stop."

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a light "gear rollover" noise while the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in NEUTRAL. Gear rollover noise is a normal characteristic under these conditions.

Here are some other characteristics you may notice:

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a "clutch chatter" during initial launch of the vehicle. The clutch chatter may
be present in 1ST and REVERSE gears, and is considered a normal characteristic caused by the cerametallic clutch lining. The clutch chatter has no effect on the performance or durability of the vehicle.

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a "clutch hiss" noise from the driveline during clutch engagement. The clutch hiss noise is most noticeable during initial engagement of the clutch into 1ST and/or REVERSE gears, and is considered a normal characteristic caused by the cerametallic clutch lining contacting the pressure plate and flywheel metal surfaces. The clutch hiss noise has no effect on the performance or durability of the clutch or transmission.

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a "gear rattle" noise from the driveline during 1ST and 2ND gear slow or gradual launch of the vehicle. The gear rattle noiseis only present in 1ST and 2ND gears and isconsidered a normal characteristic caused by contact pattern. The gear rattle noise has no effect on the performance or durability of the vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the helpful information. It sure makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks for the additional info as well and the detail.

Brad

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the noise stops when you engage the clutch, more than likely its the throw out bearing noise. The throw out bearing is kinda loose over the top of the transmission input shaft and when you push in the clutch it is tightened against the clutch fingers thus stopping the noise. mine has the same thing. if you have a shaker1000 that should take care of the noise just fine.

Exactly! Mine makes the exact noise and the shaker 1000 does drown it out!:)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
rpretzel,

Good post, mine has the Hiss which actually sounds pretty cool. The clutch chatter can be eliminated by feathering the clutch and gas on release.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
rpretzel,

Good post, mine has the Hiss which actually sounds pretty cool. The clutch chatter can be eliminated by feathering the clutch and gas on release.
I heard the clutch chatter eases up a little after you put some miles on it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I heard the clutch chatter eases up a little after you put some miles on it.
Will let you know, right now I only have about 115 on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rpretzel,

It's taking me some time to get used to the clutch. Taking off slow is hard for me to get used to, it has been awhile since I drove a stick but this clutch is definetly different. I try to feather it like you said but if you don't feather all the way out it will be a bumpy start. The throttle is so responsive it is hard to be smooth (for me anyways) the more I drive the better I'm getting.

·
Banned
70 Posts
It's taking me some time to get used to the clutch. Taking off slow is hard for me to get used to, it has been awhile since I drove a stick but this clutch is definetly different. I try to feather it like you said but if you don't feather all the way out it will be a bumpy start. The throttle is so responsive it is hard to be smooth (for me anyways) the more I drive the better I'm getting.

Compared to my 67 GT500 this clutch is a dream to start out in.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Compared to my 67 GT500 this clutch is a dream to start out in.
Could not agree more. Any old muscle car was an experience compared to this clutch. The hydraulics instead of manual cable clutches make drop and release a pleasure. Don't be afraid to bring the revs up a bit.(1200 to 1500). Muscle cars can not be brought from a stop with just working the clutch as some cars can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could not agree more. Any old muscle car was an experience compared to this clutch. The hydraulics instead of manual cable clutches make drop and release a pleasure. Don't be afraid to bring the revs up a bit.(1200 to 1500). Muscle cars can not be brought from a stop with just working the clutch as some cars can.

I do not have any experience with an older muscle car or any muscle car this is my first, I guess that is my problem. Thanks for the tip on the RPM's I have noticed that.

I guess I'll just have to drive more to get better (gah):)

I have a 68 camaro in my garage though, it is a project. I saw it and bought it one day a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure if the Shelby was going to come through and I wanted a muscle car. I guess I am going to sell it. I don't have enough room for two toys especially since my daughter is driving now.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Brad,

Excellent choice for your first muscle car. Put some miles on her and you will get used to the clutch. Best of luck and do not be so quick to give your daughter the keys, for everyones sake, and lets not forget the Shelby's.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks rpretzel, these symptoms have been noticed on my new 9 day old 2008, and I'm happy to hear these sounds are normal. I was concerned about the clanging noise, which you identified as a loose throwout bearing. Back in the day, if you heard that sound it very likely meant your throwout bearing was on it's way out. Pardon the pun. Thanks again, and next time I'll actually read the discussion before posting a question that obvirously other folks have seen.

Brad,

The clutch/transmission noise is normal per the owner's manual and the PDI document. This particlular instance is called "gear rollover"

"Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of
noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable
when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can
also occur when driving away from a stop."

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a light "gear rollover" noise while the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in NEUTRAL. Gear rollover noise is a normal characteristic under these conditions.

Here are some other characteristics you may notice:

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a "clutch chatter" during initial launch of the vehicle. The clutch chatter may
be present in 1ST and REVERSE gears, and is considered a normal characteristic caused by the cerametallic clutch lining. The clutch chatter has no effect on the performance or durability of the vehicle.

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a "clutch hiss" noise from the driveline during clutch engagement. The clutch hiss noise is most noticeable during initial engagement of the clutch into 1ST and/or REVERSE gears, and is considered a normal characteristic caused by the cerametallic clutch lining contacting the pressure plate and flywheel metal surfaces. The clutch hiss noise has no effect on the performance or durability of the clutch or transmission.

The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual transmission may exhibit a "gear rattle" noise from the driveline during 1ST and 2ND gear slow or gradual launch of the vehicle. The gear rattle noiseis only present in 1ST and 2ND gears and isconsidered a normal characteristic caused by contact pattern. The gear rattle noise has no effect on the performance or durability of the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts