Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had their clutch go bad in their GT500? I have 20K on my 08 and it is at the dealer right now being torn down. I have added a full Bassani exhaust (headers, high flow cats, 3in pipe and race [st8 thru] mufflers). Also a C&L cold air intake kit with a Diablo Sport Predator tune. I am thinking that the increase in HP couldn't be more than 140 at the flywheel. The transmission is supposed to be rated for 700 HP, so I would expect it to be able to accommodate the added power. The dealer spoke of a bulletin that related clutch failure in the GT500 to a problem with the flywheel. If anyone has knowlege of this problem or has experienced a premature clutch failure, please respond. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yes there is a TSB on clutch chatter, just use the search feature. Your dealer is not going to be happy with those Bassani headers. To drop the tranny he will have to drop the passenger side headers. Hope he assigns a tech with nimble fingers and alot of patience. I am in the process of doing the same for the flywheel and clutch upgrade and I have Bassani's as well. I did the initial install and am not looking forward to the follow up.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
yes, plenty of known issues with it. Do a search as mentioned. It's posted on the site as well. Or you can goggle it as TSB 08-16-4. Make sure a HIGHLY qualified tranny tech does the job, and FOLLOWS the repair instructions. And if able take plenty of pic's of old and new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads-up on the tsb. I was told by the service rep that the flywheel was not the problem but that they had found another tsb that said the transmission was not properly vented and they would do all the work under warranty. But they have changed their position on what would be warranteed three times now so I am still waiting for the next shoe to drop. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
the flywheel was the problem. Not dissapating the heat generated enough which warps it and causes the clutch pack to ride, stick, and rub on it, causing notchy shifting, damaging the syncros. The tsb, if done correctly, will resolve the issue completely. Also no prelube was put on the input shafts. Take good close up pic's of the old tranny parts and input shaft. The design of the flywheel is completely different as well as the inner hub of the clutch pack. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dealer ordered part for mine on Friday!!!

Its going to be a test tube TSB baby though, I'm counting on them to makie it right.

TD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I waited a week untill it was convieniant for the dealership to take the care in. That was 3 December. Today is the 23 and I recieved a message from them (after getting 4 differing stories on when the parts were to arrive) That maybe the car will be done next week. Maaaaaannn!!! I have just about had it with Ford.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well I waited a week untill it was convieniant for the dealership to take the care in. That was 3 December. Today is the 23 and I recieved a message from them (after getting 4 differing stories on when the parts were to arrive) That maybe the car will be done next week. Maaaaaannn!!! I have just about had it with Ford.
Be patient. It's not Ford, but the dealer. Personally, i would not have taken it in UNTIL ALL PARTS WERE RECEIVED and VERIFIED.

Make sure a HIGHLY qualified senior tranny tech is doing the work, and he has ALL the required tools to perform it. Be very upfront about what you expect, but maintain respect. Developing a good repour with both the tech and SM goes a long way. Let them know you desire to take pictures for your records, of both the old and new parts. Anything more is gravy, like pictures of them actually doing the work. Get closeups if at all possible. You'll be glad you did...

·
Registered
11 Posts
my car isnt driving in drive, but in 1 and 2 when in drive it just rolls at idle speed and revvs and goes nowhere. if it moves doesnt that mean its in gear? could it be a solenoid or computer problem or maybe the clutches messed up?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Perhaps you should ask this in a Shelby GT forum. GT500s do not have slush boxes...ehem...automatics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was this issue corrected on '09s? Should I be worried? My clutch does chatter a little when trying to ease off from a stop.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Was this issue corrected on '09s? Should I be worried? My clutch does chatter a little when trying to ease off from a stop.
it depends on your build date. i believe the target time period was mid to late Aug. but there is a thread over on teamshelby site that has better data. if your experiencing any symptoms of the tsb...take it in for a look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts