Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else havings severe clutch chatter under normal driving forget trying to launch the car ,: how is the clutch adjusted?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
anyone else havings severe clutch chatter under normal driving forget trying to launch the car ,: how is the clutch adjusted?
The clutch is hydraulic, which is self adjusting. Clutch chatter is an issue with these vehicles, but if unavoidable, warped flywheels is the next order of business. What kind of driving (constant stop and go?) and what mileage is on your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The chatter of the clutch on the gt500, as well as other past stangs with a Tremec Tranny (i.e. 4.6l Cobra), is something that you will get used to. I have read on other forums that the chatter is somewhat eliminated by going to a higher ratio rear end gear, such as 3.73's.

The stock clutch on the gt500 has a ceramic face, and both the clutch and the flywheel are very lightweight, so a certain ammount of chatter is normal.

/\ /\ Shlbysvt is right, the clutch is hydrolic and cannot be adjusted, it is self-adjusting.

High performance clutches use internal components that are either engaged or not. In a typical consumer car, the trannys are designed to have a much smoother transition, thus compromising a certain degree of performance. On cars like your shelby, comfort takes a back seat to performance.

·
Registered
645 Posts
/\ /\ Shlbysvt is right, the clutch is hydrolic and cannot be adjusted, it is self-adjusting.
Sucking up before Christmas?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Guess you read that one right.:D Let's not encourage him now.;)

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Here's the trick. Give it more gas....or less. Seriously, you can almost let the clutch out with no throttle, then roll it on gently. Or give it more gas.

It's the nature of the clutch.

To help matters a bit, I suggest doing an aftermarket tune. Evolutions adjusts a few things that actually slides the torque curve downward a tad.

bj

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am glad to see it is not just me!!!!:confused: I seem to have a little chatter on 1st roll out. Not much but I would like to have no chatter... I think I read something in the GT500 Supplement to expect to have some of this or was it stated as drivetrain noise?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am glad to see it is not just me!!!!:confused: I seem to have a little chatter on 1st roll out. Not much but I would like to have no chatter... I think I read something in the GT500 Supplement to expect to have some of this or was it stated as drivetrain noise?
As BJ said, it is the nature of the beast! I am pretty sure we all have seen the chatter one time or another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts