Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 shelby gt500 getting a very annoying clutch chatter. any one else experience this and what, if anything was done to correct it.

LLoyd

·
Registered
164 Posts
2007 shelby gt500 getting a very annoying clutch chatter. any one else experience this and what, if anything was done to correct it.

LLoyd
LLoyd,
Welcome to the forum.

You can ease off @ idle with out any throttle, or throttle it and let out real quick.

Only two techniques that mine likes. Oh there is one other that she and I like the best but it draws alot of attention. 1800 and drop it. Full knee withdrawal !

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
765 Posts
I believe the chatter is characteristic of the car's twin-disc cera-metallic clutch. It's normal - I have it too. Take a look at the owner's manual supplement - it states:

Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop.

·
Registered
837 Posts
"When driving away from a stop."

How many of us really "drive away from a stop"?

In my subdivision, they've recently installed a new, and in my opinion totally unnecessary stop sign. I protest by spinning the tires as I "drive away from a stop" every chance I get - while abiding the speed limit of course!

:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks

I had a feeling it was normal. I have search the internet an found this to be common. Some have said it gets better with mileage. Don't we all.

The Ford service rep drove it and said yes there is deffinately a problem. So much of a problem he told me to take it back to where i bought it.

I made an appointment. I guess i'll be canceling that.
You would think the service depart would be aware of this issue.

LLoyd

·
Registered
207 Posts
The best way of getting rid of the chatter is......

Install 4:10 gears. Its gone! Not to mention the quicker acceloration.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lloyd-

What is your mileage?
My car at 6 months, 5K miles- now rarely chatters (less than 10% of the time) only because I think I developed new specialized Shelby clutch muscles in the left leg. Seriously, that's my conclusion. Some combination of mileage on the unit and repetition will eliminate the chatter.

I like the idea of of 4.10 or 3.73 gears...sooner or later I'll get around to it... the stock 3.31 ratio maxing out at 80 mph in 2nd gear is really unneccesarily tall. 3.73 or 4.10 giving more usable around-town rpm sweet spot would be cool.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi LLoydgt40 and welcome to the board.:D You will find answers to probably most of the questions you may have on here.

Have fun and glad you realized that you don't have a problem. Very common.

flip

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to all who respond it makes me feel more comfortable with chatter.

Car currently has bout 800 miles it

Has anyone found a exhaust tip to slip over the stock factory units. I really don't want to change the mufflers. Everyone i've heard so far are too loud. I just want a good looking rolled tip

LLoyd

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
"When driving away from a stop."

How many of us really "drive away from a stop"?

In my subdivision, they've recently installed a new, and in my opinion totally unnecessary stop sign. I protest by spinning the tires as I "drive away from a stop" every chance I get - while abiding the speed limit of course!

:)
Hey Tricky, if you do that where I live, and the law is around, tocket city. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ford service bulleton #19922 states clutch chatter normal. I had to tell the dealer to check bulletins before i had to waste my time bringing the car in. Who knows what they might have done to the car.

LLoyd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts