Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does clutch chatter feel like??
I have an 08 GT500 and believe it has some clutch chatter...not all the time, but I have noticed it lately. It is not daily driven and has just under 1,000 miles...I got it back in May. I have heard these cars might have it up to break in @ 2,500 miles but also want to be sure it is covered under warranty via the TSB. I have never experienced it before and am truely not sure if it is chatter or me. When I let the clutch out slowly from a start...I feel the clutch revirberating until it is fully let out. Is that chatter? If I rev it a few times before letting it out I don't get anything.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i think you have a good understanding of chatter. Just learn to drive more aggesive with the clutch. when i first got the car i drove it like an old lady. In traffic its more noticable. I find the less you feather the clutch the better off your are. I don't even notice it anymore.

2200 miles

LLoyd

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep...it's only felt when I baby the clutch out of first...not too often lol! So..it's not a concern via the TSB for the clutch etc.?

·
Registered
208 Posts
you'll get use to it. I find when you are creeping in traffic the clutch gets hot and its more pronounced other than that its drive it like you stole it.

Lloyd

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yep...it's only felt when I baby the clutch out of first...not too often lol! So..it's not a concern via the TSB for the clutch etc.?
This clutch will chatter like you describe to some extent. It's a ceramic racing clutch that is designed to be dumped. If you feather it, it will chatter some. But keep any eye on it. If you notice your chatter gets significantly worse, especially when the car is hot, you may have a warped flywheel. This flywheel warp is a big part of the TSB.

Mine is to the point I can hardly start without chatter, regardless of what I do to try to prevent it, especially when it's warmed up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This clutch will chatter like you describe to some extent. It's a ceramic racing clutch that is designed to be dumped. If you feather it, it will chatter some. But keep any eye on it. If you notice your chatter gets significantly worse, especially when the car is hot, you may have a warped flywheel. This flywheel warp is a big part of the TSB.

Mine is to the point I can hardly start without chatter, regardless of what I do to try to prevent it, especially when it's warmed up.
Yep...that's what got me thinking...the TSB. I thought you had your TSB work done already...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yep...that's what got me thinking...the TSB. I thought you had your TSB work done already...
I had my tranny, clutch and flywheel replaced earlier this year when all this tranny stuff blew up, but the flywheel was replaced with the old design. Now I get to go back in and get it all redone. I'm waiting until the end of summer to take it in.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my tranny, clutch and flywheel replaced earlier this year when all this tranny stuff blew up, but the flywheel was replaced with the old design. Now I get to go back in and get it all redone. I'm waiting until the end of summer to take it in.
They really should do a recall based on half the buyers or more (my guess) will clear the warranty period with little miles and won't experience the symptoms under the warranty period. Ford should realize this based on the "collector" factor and do the right thing.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
They really should do a recall based on half the buyers or more (my guess) will clear the warranty period with little miles and won't experience the symptoms under the warranty period. Ford should realize this based on the "collector" factor and do the right thing.
Yeah, but recalls are very expensive and are usually reserved only for safety issues.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but recalls are very expensive and are usually reserved only for safety issues.
Agreed. It isn't fair to leave buyers in "no-man's land" via a TSB that may not rear it's ugly head until after warranty time.

Anyway....my car is going in to get checked out next Wed. I'm betting they will find nothing except the chattering and a service note says that is normal. It will be documented at the least and that is what I am shooting for.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am starting to think the way around this is to purchase an extended warranty to cover you longer than the 3/36. What is 1k vs 6k down the road if the clutch should fail?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think you have addressed this previously, rpretzal, but I want to make sure I understood you correctly. When I have the car in neutral, idling, with the clutch out I sometimes, not always, here a rattling noise underneath in the area of the transmission/clutch that goes away when I rev the engine or push the clutch in. Is this just considered "normal" for this clutch? It seems to work reasonably well otherwise, occasional mild grind going into 2nd or 3rd mainly when cold. I know the hissing noise is normal. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think you have addressed this previously, rpretzal, but I want to make sure I understood you correctly. When I have the car in neutral, idling, with the clutch out I sometimes, not always, here a rattling noise underneath in the area of the transmission/clutch that goes away when I rev the engine or push the clutch in. Is this just considered "normal" for this clutch? It seems to work reasonably well otherwise, occasional mild grind going into 2nd or 3rd mainly when cold. I know the hissing noise is normal. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.
Sorry i'm not rpretzel but my March 07 build (now 10K miles) has always exhibited mild rattling /rotational noises that you describe above. Totally normal imo from what I've read. Everything on these cars is HEAVY DUTY, including the acoustic racket coming from the sheer torsional 'heft' of the drivetrain when you're sitting idling stationary in neutral gear.

To original poster 1268- taking your car in for dealer diagnosis sounds fine (pls post asap what your dealer says), but definitely withhold final assessment on clutch chatter until you have 2.5K to 3K miles on the car. Mine did the chatter thing frequently early on, but now I've either fine-tuned my leg muscle or the chatter thing worked itself out so much so that it never happens anymore, much smoother clutch take up now than when car was new. Still bone stock everything on my coupe. 1268 Let us know what your dealer service dept. reports.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry i'm not rpretzel but my March 07 build (now 10K miles) has always exhibited mild rattling /rotational noises that you describe above. Totally normal imo from what I've read. Everything on these cars is HEAVY DUTY, including the acoustic racket coming from the sheer torsional 'heft' of the drivetrain when you're sitting idling stationary in neutral gear.

To original poster 1268- taking your car in for dealer diagnosis sounds fine (pls post asap what your dealer says), but definitely withhold final assessment on clutch chatter until you have 2.5K to 3K miles on the car. Mine did the chatter thing frequently early on, but now I've either fine-tuned my leg muscle or the chatter thing worked itself out so much so that it never happens anymore, much smoother clutch take up now than when car was new. Still bone stock everything on my coupe. 1268 Let us know what your dealer service dept. reports.
Will do. I get the chatter when I have driving it for a while in stoplight to stoplight traffic. I also did "Grabber's" test tonight and it failed. Start the car and engage the clutch and immediately put it into first or reverse...mine felt notchy and required some effort. Second time hold the clutch in for 3-4 seconds and then shift into first or reverse...mine was much smoother...especially reverse. In reality...they should feel identical...smooth. This shows that the clutch is dragging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can anyone who had the TSB performed confirm that the chatter/shudder is completely gone and not normal for this clutch system?

If I engage the clutch really slooow at idle it is totally smooth. If I engage it a little quicker at idle, and try to feed light throttle, it can/will shudder.

If I keep the RPMs up around 1100 and engage the clutch it is fine.

Does this clear up completely after the TSB?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am starting to think the way around this is to purchase an extended warranty to cover you longer than the 3/36. What is 1k vs 6k down the road if the clutch should fail?
Would the extended warranty cover the clutch since this is generally considered a "normal wear item"?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks.
I've got slightly over 8K on the car. The only other thing I've noted is slight grind going in to 2nd and 3rd mainly with first few shifts when cold. No problems going into reverse. Is this OK?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
What you are describing (neutral, idling, clutch out, rattle noise) is called "gear roll" and is completely normal. It's actually mentioned in the owner's manual supplement.

As for the occasional mild grind, that is what you need to be concerned about. It will only get worse over time, so take it in for the TSB repair. They will repair the tranny and replace the clutch and flywheel. No more grind or clutch chatter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Will do. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
175 Posts
What you are describing (neutral, idling, clutch out, rattle noise) is called "gear roll" and is completely normal. It's actually mentioned in the owner's manual supplement.

As for the occasional mild grind, that is what you need to be concerned about. It will only get worse over time, so take it in for the TSB repair. They will repair the tranny and replace the clutch and flywheel. No more grind or clutch chatter.
Spoke with dealership today and am taking my car in next Wednesday for clutch/flywheel repair. Said they would need to keep car 7-10 days. They wanted to tow the car in, but the grind is very mild so I told them I'd drive it to them. I'm really nervous having anybody tow this car unless absolutely needed after reading the manual.
Again, thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts