Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously the stock heat exchanger is not built to handle the heat load generated by the TVS, pulley, and tune. So my question is which one to choose:

1) Do I go with the AFCO that seems to be very popular on this site, which is a dual pass heat exchanger?

2) Or do I go with the STEEDA which is a single pass unit with a larger surface area than the AFCO?

I know that surface area and flow rate are important in a HE's ability to remove heat, It seems to me that the STEEDA unit would have the higher flow rate (being that it is a single pass unit) and the largest surface area making it the best choice for a new HE.

My plan is to get some performance numbers from both manufacturers and ask some of the folks over in the automotive engineering division at the Academy which one would be a better choice.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to pose this question to you all who seem to have a vast amount of experience with the motors and related components.

Thanks in advance.

Stew

·
Registered
191 Posts
Obviously the stock heat exchanger is not built to handle the heat load generated by the TVS, pulley, and tune. So my question is which one to choose:

1) Do I go with the AFCO that seems to be very popular on this site, which is a dual pass heat exchanger?

2) Or do I go with the STEEDA which is a single pass unit with a larger surface area than the AFCO?

I know that surface area and flow rate are important in a HE's ability to remove heat, It seems to me that the STEEDA unit would have the higher flow rate (being that it is a single pass unit) and the largest surface area making it the best choice for a new HE.

My plan is to get some performance numbers from both manufacturers and ask some of the folks over in the automotive engineering division at the Academy which one would be a better choice.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to pose this question to you all who seem to have a vast amount of experience with the motors and related components.

Thanks in advance.

Stew
It all comes down to personal choice Stew,

I do not believe one is better than the other; it all comes down to the delta in temp reduction and from what I have read they are comparable. They both market the uniqueness of their design as better but both companies make quality products that work. The benefit of the Steeda is a little less modification to factory hose routing; the benefit to the AFCO is it is a little more compact design.

A lot of people on various forums run one or the other and I have not heard one person have a complaint with either product. When I do this upgrade later on I will go with Steeda but only because I have local dealer support and have had good results with other products they make; if the local support for AFCO was better than Steeda then I would go with an AFCO.

If you are considering going to HID lighting it would be good to do at the same time as you have to pull the bumper cover and would make mounting the ballasts a breeze.

Rob

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I had an Afco and it worked very well-Fluid passing through too fast doesnt allow for propper cooling.The afco is out and has been replaced with the Revan Racing Radiator and H.E.,Even after a 30 mile drive and a Dyno beatdown the intercooler fluid remained at a reasonable 90 degrees.A laser thermometer is a wonderful thing when testing the cooling mods.The radiator makes a big difference in places often overlooked-Like head temp-The comparison info is out there.Since my goal is just 600rwhp on the factory blower I felt I needed the best due to the extreme heat that goes along with this set-up.Seems alot of others agree on the Revan Racing cooling package!

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you're looking for top-of-the-line this one from Revan Racing is the one.

+1 Call Van, Google Revan Racing. Shelby is carrying it and the radiator now. I bet you will see it on future Super Snakes.

Brent

·
Registered
191 Posts
the RevanRacing/C&R (now Shelby) radiator and H.E. are hands down the best. Don't skimp for consistent performance. Get it, be done, and happy that you did. I run both and have sustained power, low temps all day long..
It is certainly priced high enough to be a Shelby part....lol

I will consider this one as well; do you use the stock pump or do you have to wire in theirs?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VK,

How much is the Raven Racing HE?

Stew

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please excuse my stupidity, I found the price on the website. It should have been "Revan" not "Raven" racing. I have to many friends who are Ravens fans. :silly:

Stew

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It is certainly priced high enough to be a Shelby part....lol

I will consider this one as well; do you use the stock pump or do you have to wire in theirs?
the price hasn't changed...same as what Van was selling it for. Use the stock pump. No pump comes with. you simply connect the fan leads to the pump main hot lead...the fans run consistently while eng running, even if the pump isn't.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
+1 on the C&R HE from Revan Racing. Great product. My downstream air temps never got over 119 deg F after 4 pulls on the dyno.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the price hasn't changed...same as what Van was selling it for. Use the stock pump. No pump comes with. you simply connect the fan leads to the pump main hot lead...the fans run consistently while eng running, even if the pump isn't.
I was using their injector pricing as a reference....figured if they were $100 high on those they were high on everything...but like I said, will be looking at this when I make the move.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts